The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Building a computer questions  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
  • A true gentleman fights to protect
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Western Feral Dragon
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
  • Height: 6' 12''
  • Weight: 217
  • Build: Muscular
Building a computer questions
« on: March 17, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »
So for quite sometime I've been trying to get some money for a computer, however this is the first computer I'd have to build.
Now for the parts, I do not have any as of the past and present due to the fact that I don't know which parts to get, so here is my question: My budget is $500 for a gaming computer that can decently play GTAV, Which parts should I get in order for this to happen?

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel

Offline Zarconite

• Hug Enthusiast
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • May or may not be a demon
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / Fox Hybrid
  • Coloring: Grey / White / Blue
  • Height: 5' 7"
  • Weight: 170
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: I think I'm finished here, I may pop up from time to time though
Re: Building a computer questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »
I've got a couple of questions I need to ask before producing a parts list:

Do you need absolutely everything? (Case / HDD / OS etc)?
Can you add any more onto your budget? or is it fixed at $500 (I'm also assuming it's CAD)
Would you mind buying used? (there's a slight risk with used parts, but you'll get alot more for your money)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:04:28 PM by Zarconite »
  • Avatar by: Commision by Nimroderick
  • Signature art by: Myself - so that its easier for me to tell which posts are mine

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »
depends on the games

i know that my pc (no bet people are gonna come out and say im full of it ill get benchmarks when gta redownlads) can run gta at a decent frame rate

with only
8gb of ram (can use less i reckon but i run some other things in the background so i have 8 gigs soon to have 500GB)
a gt 730
and a i3 3220 (yea its old but it bloody works)

gta bench marks (avg is in yellow)

Frames Per Second (Higher is better) Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 11.570157, 70.384720, 24.835558
Pass 1, 15.090750, 31.994766, 25.722246
Pass 2, 15.738938, 31.793701, 26.306297
Pass 3, 14.800498, 35.102280, 25.964779
Pass 4, 3.749799, 66.626114, 28.041782

fixed up a small derp on my part

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:21:33 PM by saph the sergal »
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Zarconite

• Hug Enthusiast
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 02:27:53 PM »
I've put a build together for $550, though don't expect miracles from it with such a low budget.
I know some of the parts here may not look so good, but I skimped out a little on some things to place money where it counts.
I'd suggest saving up until you have $750+ before buying something but if you absolutely have to buy something have a look at this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($97.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($54.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($46.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($62.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card  ($181.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.98 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer  ($17.34 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $550.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 10:25 EDT-0400

If you can push your budget to $600, you could replace the GTX 950 with a GTX 960 to get a decent performance boost. (http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/m8TZgs)
(or if you go used, you could get a gtx 670 for $30 less (not including postage) - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gigabyte-Windforce-GTX-670-GV-N670OC-2GD-/252323652620?hash=item3abfa9640c:g:JJoAAOSwr7ZW2kXl - this would perform slightly better than the GTX 950)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:37:55 PM by Zarconite »
  • Signature art by: Myself - so that its easier for me to tell which posts are mine

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
Thank you so much, this does help a lot, since I don't know much about building them.

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel

Offline Zarconite

• Hug Enthusiast
  • Jovial Jaguar
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »
No problem, though are you able to buy used parts?
If so, I'll advise a better build. if not, this should be a safe bet

Also, this doesn't come with an operating system just so you know

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 03:39:43 PM »
I'm aware about the OS not included, but for used parts I'm gonna try to stray away from them, just because of the chance of something bad to happen, however I'd appreciate if you would show me that better build, if that isn't a problem.

Offline Zarconite

• Hug Enthusiast
  • Jovial Jaguar
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »
Okay, give me a few minutes and I'll give you a rundown of how much better it is
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($18.61 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31/W8 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($66.74 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($44.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($62.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.98 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer  ($17.34 @ DirectCanada)
Other: i5 2500S ($101.21)
Other: Asus R9 270x ($167.49)
Total: $568.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 11:55 EDT-0400

That's about as well as I could do, The R9 270x is the best graphics card choice as far as I can see, it performs just slightly under what a Gtx 960 can do for a considerable amount less money.

Just another thing to note, you will need an adapter for your graphics card power (2x molex to 6 pin PCI), but it should run fine
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:01:15 PM by Zarconite »

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »
Alright, thanks!

Offline Zarconite

• Hug Enthusiast
  • Jovial Jaguar
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 04:07:22 PM »
One last thing, if you do decide to get the 270x, I'd say get this psu: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-power-supply-sp550pcbus
it's got a bit of extra power just incase (the CX 430w is cutting it a little close)

Good luck!
If you need anything else or have any questions, feel free to pm me

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 04:44:47 PM »
Okay, thanks!