The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Yamiokami Densetsu, Part 2: Japan, Ho!  (Read 1457 times)

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
  • Species: Okami (Wolf)
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Build: Average
Yamiokami Densetsu, Part 2: Japan, Ho!
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:46:48 AM »
All right, due to circumstances beyond my control, I have been unable to continue my story, "Yamiokami Densetsu" for some time. By now, the topic is dead and buried; the last update was August 28 for poo's sakes! So rather than risk getting yelled at for necroposting, I've devised that the continuation of the story be posted in a "Part Two" of sorts, continuing the story where it left off. You can find the previous twenty-one chapters here:

http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=1939.0

And now... a brief recap....

Sigma was the Daishishou, or grand master, of a clan of ninja called the Yamiokami (Dark Wolves). All members of the Yamiokami were Garoujin, alternatively known as Garouotoko - a species of evolved wolves who were anthropomorphic. Living their life in peace with the ancient peoples of Japan, recent events had caused modern man to learn of their species as well as others, and chose to wage war on them. Sigma, whose real name is Inukawa Sousuke, has lead the Yamiokami as a defense force against the invaders, but the humans' numbers grow by the day. Taking the initiative to recruit other anthropomorphs from other countries, Sigma leaves his cousin Runa in charge of the clan and set sail on his own.

Approximately a day or so later, Sigma encounters a large amphibious beast known as Lusca. Lusca tells Sigma that he has somehow appeared in the Atlantic Ocean, despite having left Japan just a short time ago. Lusca also indicates that Sigma is nearing his destiny, and Sigma finds the drive to push onward. Upon nightfall, Sigma dozes off, only to be assaulted by a pirate. The pirate appears to be a Garoujin, but has large wings as well - and is known as a Dracopyre. After a grueling battle against the pirate, Sigma finds himself fighting to a draw, until she pulls a gun on him. She then abducts him, chaining him to the deck of the ship. He then learns her name is Kaizoku, and she has two crewmates - Monk the silent gorilla, and Sal the boisterous bulldog. Being forced to serve as their cabin boy - albeit the fact that he is not allowed to see the inside of the cabin - Sigma is left to continuously scrub the deck. At a moment of rebellion, Kaizoku slashed at Sigma's left eye completely out of its socket.

After several days of torture, Sigma is caught off guard when Kaizoku shoots Sal dead in his tracks. Stranger yet, she did it to save Sigma's life. As Sigma mulled over the events that had transpired, Kaizoku and Monk went along their day without a care about their slain crewmate. Sigma decides he needs answers, and Kaizoku explains that she had dreamed that the two of them were friends - and Sigma notes that her demeanor had changed. Overstressed from the events of the last few days, Sigma passes out and cracks his head on a crate, and is out cold for two days. Waking up in the slain Sal's bunk, Sigma stresses even further over the time he has lost on his quest. The ship lands on a Florida beach, and Kaizoku leads them to the village of the Homoursae, a tribe of bear anthropomorphs who specialize in magic and technology. They encounter Bartholomew, a friend of Kaizoku and Monk's, and the four of them head to the Homoursae shaman, Douglas, to heal Sigma's wounds.

Sigma is shocked to learn that Douglas' apprentice, Tatianna, is a human, since their species were at odds with them. Tatianna elaborates that she saved Bartholomew's life when they were younger, and had been accepted into the tribe as his sister. Douglas and Tatianna take to healing Sigma with elaborate magical concoctions, and all the while, Kaizoku held onto his paw tightly. Upon Sigma's awakening from the magic-induced slumber, Kaizoku decided to see her old friend, the Homoursae leader Laoban Fell. Bartholomew regretfully told her that Fell had died, but she could meet the current Laoban, Fell's brother Siguma. The four of them went and met him briefly, then went to the market to stock up on supplies. Returning to the ship, the crew was horrified to find threatening graffiti on the vessel. An enraged Kaizoku stormed off to see Siguma again, with Monk, Sigma, and Bartholomew in tow. It is there that Sigma realizes that Siguma was the one who vandalized the ship, and a fight ensues. After Siguma is knocked out of his cabin, Sigma slices him open to reveal a human sorcerer inside the fur. The sorcerer is a skinwalker named Hotma, who skins anthropomorphs and wears their pelt, effectively becoming them. Kaizoku becomes fed up with Hotma and kills him with a single shot.

Monk is taken to Douglas to heal the injuries he sustained in the battle with Siguma/Hotma. Tatianna approaches when they are about to sail off, and tries to convince them to take her with them as their medic - which they eventually do. After nightfall and the rest of the crew had gone belowdecks, Sigma sat alone on a crate, pondering recent events, as he did often. Kaizoku suddenly appears and seduces Sigma, dragging him back down the stairs to her quarters.

Upon daybreak, it has seemed that Sigma has warmed up to the pirate captain, and the two spend their time cuddling on the deck. Monk takes to sailing the ship, and Tatianna later appears on the deck to relax. A pesky seagull appears and bites the human girl. Suddenly more birds approach, as does a gigantic anthropomorphic fowl, the bird god Vineeta. Vineeta claims the crew has broken his law, and he attacks them. During the course of battle, Kaizoku is knocked off of the ship and into the sea, and Sigma dives in to rescue her. Pulling his beloved from the depths, Tatianna takes the two of them belowdecks and begins treating Kaizoku, who has stopped breathing. Despite her best efforts, the pirate passes away, enraging Sigma to a level of negative emotion completely foreign to him. Although Monk was almost even in his fight with Vineeta, Sigma suddenly plows into the bird with anger and slays him.

Tatianna tells Sigma and Monk there is a way to bring the captain back, but it would involve going to Hell and persuading the Lord of the Dead to release her soul. Sigma volunteers for the quest, and Tatianna conjures an elaborate spell to send him there. She also gives him Hell Bank Notes, the monetary unit of the Underworld, which would serve him well down there. Once in Hell, the ninja approaches the Lord of the Dead's palace, which is guarded by two monstrous Oni (ogre-like demons), Gozu and Mezu. He is instructed that to go inside, he will have to best both of them in battle, unarmed. After being beaten brutally, Sigma eventually tricks the two Oni into knocking each other out, and makes his way inside. Sandora, a disheveled human-like woman with grotesquely bad hygiene, leads Sigma to Enma, Lord of the Dead. Enma agrees to resurrect Kaizoku if Sigma completes another task, and he tells the ninja that her true name is Noritou Einjeru. Sigma is instructed to go to a store within Hell called Xenliao Xangdian, purchase some items with the Hell Bank Notes, and light them on fire in front of The Chamber of Wind and Lightning.

Sigma does so, and Kaizoku is granted her life back. After a romantic reunion, the two of them leave the cavern of Hell, and instantly return to their earthly bodies. After much more romanticism, the crew attend a rendezvous on the deck for dinner. Before they can finish, they are approached by yet another anthropomorphic bird. This is Bennu, the son of Vineeta, and he has come to thank Sigma for slaying his corrupt father so he can ascend to the throne of god, and offers his services as an ally to the crew if the need should arise. After Bennu's departure, Monk and Kaizoku come to realize that they are nearing Panama, Monk's homeland, of which he bears bad memories.

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
Re: Yamiokami Densetsu, Part 2: Japan, Ho!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:15:32 AM »
CHAPTER ONE - NO TIME FOR DELAYS
--------------------------------
The ship had passed through the Panama Canal without incident, partially thanks to the fact that Monk had spent a majority of the time belowdecks so as to not risk detection. Kaizoku and Sigma had spent another romantic night together, and awoke much longer after Monk and Tatianna had made their way above deck. Sigma appeared from the cabins wearing only his pants, tabi, and eyepatch, and Kaizoku only in a robe - her trademark eyepatch was missing from her face, which caused Tatianna to do a double take. She was the last of the crew to realize that Kaizoku had two eyes.

Monk gave a knowing grin, knowing what Sigma and Kaizoku had been up to the night before simply by looking at them. After a few seconds, he returned his stern attention to the sea, concentrating on sailing. They were a few hours shy of the Hawaiian islands and making excellent time. With this pace, they would be in Japan by the end of the week.

They sailed on for approximately an hour more, before another ship was spotted off in the horizon. Sigma
thought perhaps there may be another ally on the ship they could meet, but Kaizoku maintained they continue with "full speed ahead", which Monk gladly did.
 Within ten minutes, however, the other ship was steadily approaching. Kaizoku bit her lip, wishing that they had enough time to change trejectory, but completely knew that they would not be able to get away from the other ship in time. She now saw what the ship truly was, and her suspicions were confirmed.

Suddenly, the opposing ship launched a massive cannonball. It stopped short of Kaizoku's ship, splashing seawater all over the deck and the ship's crew.

"A warning shot...." Kaizoku mumbled.

"Who are these buffoons?" Sigma queried.

"A rival pirate brigade. They have no honor... no dignity... they rape and maim and pillage everyone they meet... from the eldest man to the youngest child. They also make no distinction between friend and foe. Cursed Blood Ice crew..."

"Blood Ice? What are they? Yeti? Polar Bears? Penguins?" Sigma was confused.

Kaizoku swallowed hard. "Well, I have not seen them, just as they have not seen us. Our encounters have been as you see here... a cat-and-mouse sort of thing, where we lob projectiles near one another's ships. But... I have reason to suspect that they are humans."

"Humans...." Sigma repeated, letting his voice trail off on the word. He began remembering the military that had sought to seize his people back in Japan.

Kaizoku bit her lip. "I am tired of this game. For too long, these monsters have antagonized me and ignored the Pirate Code of the Brethren. It has gone too far!" She turned her head toward Monk and called his name. "Load a cannonball, and this time, make it count!"

Monk saluted and walked over to the nearest cannon, loading it up with a massive projectile. Sigma had no idea where Monk had gotten said cannonball; he seemingly instantly had it in his hands as he came over to the cannon. Monk spent the next few minutes pouring gunpowder into the weapon, and finally, lit the fuse, sending the ball sailing through the air with a mighty whistle. A ship-shaking crack pierced the air as it plowed into the side of the Blood Ice's ship. Within mere moments, all that was in the place of a once massive vessel was a single wooden board piercing the water, and some bubbles. It appeared as if the entire crew - not just the captain - had gone down with the ship.

"Good riddance to horrible rubbish...." Kaizoku muttered.
Posted on: November 06, 2007, 10:51:45 PM
CHAPTER TWO - THE SERPENT'S EYE SHINES
-----------------------------------------------------------
Later that day, Kaizoku and her crew had passed the Hawaiian islands and were on a straight path toward Japan. The sun was shining brightly; it was maybe two hours before it would set. The salty breeze was gentle and tingled on the fur and skin of the ship's inhabitants. All in all, it seemed as if the remainder of the day would be without incident.

Monk calmly steered the ship, lost deep in thought about some subject only he was aware of. Tatianna, bored out of her mind, retreated to her quarters to study her spells further. Kaizoku and Sigma, too, were beginning to lose their patience of the uneventful afternoon. After flipping a golden coin in the air and catching it for approximately half an hour, Kaizoku suggested a sparring match. Sigma gave a three-second delay to his response, and answered in the affirmative.

The two had not taken battle to one another since the instance in which they first met. Sigma was utterly nervous; the last time they had traded blows, he had ended up a petty slave. Although he was pretty sure the outcome of this battle would not be the same, he couldn't help but feel uneasy.

Kaizoku set herself in a stance not dissimilar to one of kickboxing. "Are you going to just stand there, or are you going to put up your dukes?"

Sigma bit his lip and eased into a ninjutsu stance. Before he could react, a fist came flying at his face. Sigma cupped his paw and caught Kaizoku's punch at the last possible second before it hit his muzzle. Then, within the fraction of a second, her other fist came toward him, this one a tad lower - it would have hit his throat, had he not parried the side of her arm with a flat backhand. However, Sigma had let her first fist loose when parrying the other punch, and she drove this fist into his stomach. This was followed up by a spinning roundhouse kick to the side of Sigma's neck. Sigma's body spun three-hundredsixty degrees and hit the deck of the ship hard.

Sigma rubbed the point of contact on his neck, and saw Kaizoku slowly advancing toward him. When this woman sparred, she didn't pull any punches - even if it was with the man she loved. He had been hoping to just judge her hand-to-hand combat skill, as he had never seen her fight without bringing a weapon into the battle at some point. However, this appeared that it would be one of the roughest sparring matches Sigma had ever taken part in.

Sigma flipped backward and landed on his feet. Kaizoku started towards him in a sprint, but Sigma was ready for her this time. As she drew closer, he leapt up into the air, stepped off of her head for leverage, then came back down towards her with a deep kick that connected to the middle of her back. Kaizoku stumbled, but did not fall. Instead, she turned around with another roundhouse; this one was easily ducked by Sigma. Kaizoku threw another punch - a left hook, this time, as opposed to her straight punches earlier in the fight. Sigma grabbed her fist with two open paws and flung her over his head. She landed on her feet and tore her paw away from his grip.

The ship suddenly rocked hard, splashing the deck. All of the crew on deck at the time fell. Monk was the first to his feet, mourning the fact that the sunglasses he was wearing had shattered. Sigma was next to stand, followed by Kaizoku.

"What in the sodding Hell was that?" asked Sigma.

"I don't know...." said Kaizoku. "A cannonball? No... the only ship that's ever opened fire on us was Blood Ice. And we sank that vessel earlier today."

Their answer came in the form of a gigantic serpentine head rising from beneath the waves. For Monk and Kaizoku, this monstrous being seemed to pose a threat. To Sigma, however, it represented familiarity.

"Lusca!"

"AH! I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE ON THIS SHIP!" the seabeast said in his almost deafening, booming voice.

"What brings you here?" Sigma asked.

"I HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM JAPAN," said Lusca. "AFTER YOU HAD LEFT, I HAD FOUND THAT WHAT HUMANS REFER TO AS THE 'BERMUDA TRIANGLE' IS ACTUALLY SOME SORT OF MYSTICAL PORTAL TO THE MA NO UMI OFF THE COAST OF JAPAN."

"Ma no Umi?" Sigma scratched his muzzle. "I know of that place... I've only heard tales of it, however. It's known as the Devil's Sea, where seafarers and other vessels mysteriously disappear."

"INDEED." Lusca nodded. "I TRAVELED FROM THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE TO THE DEVIL'S SEA, AND ENDED UP IN JAPAN. THERE, I SAW FORCES OF HUMAN SWARMING AROUND, HUNTING ANYTHING THAT WASN'T REMOTELY LIKE THEM. I SAW DOZENS OF INNOCENT ANIMALS HARMED - ONES THAT WERE NOT EVEN ANTHROPOMORPHIC IN NATURE. I FOUGHT AS MANY OF THEM AS I COULD, BUT THERE WERE TOO MANY. THEY HAD SPECIALIZED GUNS THAT WERE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO EVEN PIERCE MY FLESH."

"Sweet goddess Ameterasu..." Sigma said with a held breath. "They need to be stopped...."

"I SENSED YOU WERE NEARING, AND THAT YOU HAD COMPANY. I FOLLOWED MY SENSES IN THIS DIRECTION TO MAKE SURE YOU WERE SAFEGUARDED AGAINST ATTACK AS YOU MADE YOUR WAY HOME. THE HUMANS HAVE MANY SHIPS AND JETS NEAR LAND THAT COULD PROVE DISASTERIOUS TO YOU."

"Thank you, Lusca." Sigma nodded and turned toward Monk. "Let us go, Monk! We haven't much time to lose!"

Monk saluted, placed his broken sunglasses in a pocket, and turned his attention towards sailing.

Offline Dr. Strange

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • "Break free of your chains and quell in fear"
    • Q @ FurAffinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline-lupine hybrid with wings
  • Coloring: red and black
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 126
  • Build: average
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »
COOL!! Nice story S.
I go by many names; Mistress of the Abandoned; King of the Shattered; Duchess of the Damned; Nightcatcher; and Dreamwatcher.
but I am untamed and therefor
Your Worst Nightmare
~~Dr. Stitches "Sahara" Strange~~ experiment from D13 -------->
Pet's name: A734RF50G
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 04:14:05 AM »
Thank ye.

CHAPTER THREE - PRIDE OF THE LAND
----------------------------------
A good day and a half had passed with nothing of consequence occurring - nothing but smooth sailing greeted the ship's crew. They were making good time, and Kaizoku estimated it would not be long before they reached the shore of Japan.

"Are you nervous about returning?" Sigma asked Kaizoku, who was wrapped tightly in his embrace.

"Kind of...." The pirate reached up to brush her hair away from her eye. "It's just been so long. And I don't know if I can face my tribe again...."

Sigma still did not know the reason for Kaizoku's leaving Japan, and he did not wish to pry into anything she did not want to tell him. However, this did not dampen his curiosity as to what could have possibly been so terrible that she could not return.

Sigma continued to hold her in silence for some time. Without even realizing what he was staring at, he eventually came to realize that he could see Japan off in the distance. However, Kaizoku had dozed off in his arms, and he made not sound nor sudden movements as to not wake her.

As they neared the island nation, Kaizoku began to awake. She blinked her eye and rubbed the sleep out of it, staring towards the land mass.

"Is... is that...?" she trailed off.

"Indeed," said Sigma. "That is Japan."

"What have they done to it?" queried Kaizoku. "When I left, shrines, temples, and torii were the largest structures... now... it looks like America on steroids!"

"Shrines and the such, for the most part, still exist," explained Sigma. "But Japan is amongst one of the most technologically advanced nations in the world, now."

"What time has done to the land...." Kaizoku once again trailed off.

Sigma turned back towards the navigator. "MONK! Turn 40 degrees starboard! My village is not far from this city!"

Monk nodded and turned the ship as such. Forty-five minutes later, the ship had reached land. The crew got out and stretched, not having seen land in days. Although it was by no stretch of the imagination cramped on the ship, the feeling of standing on wood and standing on Earth was a significant difference.

Sigma began to recall the horrid night in which he had left from this exact spot. The events of that entire day replayed in his head like a nightmare. He wondered how many of his people he had lost. He began to feel a little nauseous when the thought that he might have lost Runa, the only family he had known for eons.

Sigma regained his focus and headed through the forest. Before the trees completely eclipsed him, he motioned for the others to follow him. "Come on. We don't have any time to lose."

The remainder of the crew did as he said, and a short trek through the forest landed them in the land of the Yamiokami. Sigma led them directly to a cave. Where a wolfman dressed in dark blue robes and wearing a mask of identical color stood. He instantly dropped to his hands and knees in a bow uncharacteristic to the Japanese humans. "[L...lord Sigma!]"

Upon hearing this name, a young, female Garoujin, wearing an ornate red garb appeared from within the cave. Her eyes lit up immediately upon seeing the Yamiokami leader. "[LORD SIGMA!]" she shouted, and wrapped her arms around Sigma tightly. Sigma did the same to her, and Kaizoku felt a twinge of jealousy.

At the parting of the hug, Sigma turned toward his companions. "My friends... this is Inukawa Runa, my cousin."

"Inukawa...?" Kaizoku muttered to herself, scratching her muzzle. "Where have I heard that name before...?"

Kaizoku's question was heard by none but herself. Sigma introduced his companions to Runa. "This is Tatianna, Monk, and Kaizoku."

Runa bowed toward the human, ape, and dracopyre. "Most pleasant to meet you," she said in perfect, but heavily accented English.

Sigma's face turned stern now. "Runa... how has the battle progressed...? How... how many...?"

Runa sighed and looked dejectedly toward the ground. "Almost half, m'lord. The humans are overpowering us. They just keep coming." She looked up again. "We did gain some allies as of recent, however."

Runa turned to face the cave just as a group of massive, fur-covered creatures wearing heavy armor emerged from the cave's mouth. One of which was very familiar to the crew - especially one member in particular....

"Fluffy!" Tatianna squeaked and wrapped her arms around her brother as far as she could. Bartholomew grinned sheepishly and patted her on the head. "Good to see you too...."

Runa turned back to the crew and explained. "Approximately a day ago, the Homoursae landed on shore here. At first, we did not know whether they were friend or foe. However, Bartholomew described as having met you, Sigma, and told us the tale of your stay in their land. I noted that he had to be truthful, as the actions taken by you were identical to the ones I thought you would take. They offered their assistance, and I accepted."

One of the Homoursae warriors lifted a large, spiked mace. "We have added much brute strength to your warriors! However... we are still not immune to the human's weapons. The six you see before you are the only ones of us left in fighting condition... out of fifteen."

Sigma was beginning to doubt the fact that the three he had procured would be sufficient for battle. As amazing of a warrior as Kaizoku was, even she had died once. Monk was a capable fighter as well, and although still a novice, Tatianna had learned some powerful battle spells. Still, even though his journey had also brought the Homoursae, their numbers were dwindling as well.

Sigma clenched his right fist and cursed the name of Susanowo through gritted fangs. He had sought a plethora of allies, but came back with barely enough to make a difference. Sigma growled and opened his fist.

"[Cousin!]" said Runa. "[What is the matter?]"

"[I'm so frustrated! We're outnumbered and outmuscled. There's probably forty of them for every one of us!]"

"[Do not despair, Lord Sigma.]" Runa placed a paw on her cousin's shoulder. "[[We must keep faith that we shall overcome.]]"

Sigma sighed. Returning to English, he said, "I suppose you are right. Come! Have the  finest chefs of the village prepare a magnificent feast! Tell all that Lord Sigma has returned and we shall all eat our fill. Tomorrow..." Sigma pumped a fist into the air. "WE SHALL BE VICTORIOUS!"

*Again, anything in brackets ([ ]) is translated from Japanese....

Offline Dr. Strange

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • "Break free of your chains and quell in fear"
    • Q @ FurAffinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline-lupine hybrid with wings
  • Coloring: red and black
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 126
  • Build: average
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:05:22 AM »
I give five thumbs up!
 :) :) :) :) :)
I go by many names; Mistress of the Abandoned; King of the Shattered; Duchess of the Damned; Nightcatcher; and Dreamwatcher.
but I am untamed and therefor
Your Worst Nightmare
~~Dr. Stitches "Sahara" Strange~~ experiment from D13 -------->
Pet's name: A734RF50G
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:28:01 AM »
That's a lot of thumbs! o.o

CHAPTER FOUR - OF LOVE AND WAR
-------------------------------

"'Cause with you, I'd withstand
All of Hell to hold your hand
I'd give it all
I'd give for us
Give anything but I won't give up
'Cause you know, you know, you know
That I love you
I have loved you all along"

- Nickelback, "Far Away"

The massive feast had finished and the nighttime activities had commenced. The sun had set many hours ago, and instead a roaring campfire was lighting up the night. Between the fire and the observers was a kabuki performance, featuring Tsuki Rendao, a Japanese/Chinese Youkaijin and the most talented kabuki artist in any of the seven continents, in the lead role. She was also a fierce warrior and one of the Garoujin's allies.

Kaizoku, Monk, Tatianna, and the Homoursae sat amongst the native patrons gathered around the fire, while Sigma and Runa were away in their cave going over battle strategies. Sigma sat on a countertop, watching mostly in silence as Runa drew up battleplans and explained them, occasionally sipping at a glass of brandy.

"The Tengu and Kappa are our last resort. There just aren't as many of them as there were a few thousand years ago. But they have both agreed to assist in battle if we become outnumbered."

Sigma did nothing more but stare at the paper in which Runa made marks on. She was the most brilliant military strategist in all of Japan's history - anthropomorph or otherwise. Five hundred years ago, Sigma had been her mentor in all of life's challenges, and for the most part she was either just below his level, or was his exact equal. However, in the art of planning for war, Runa had by far surpassed her cousin and father figure on all accounts.

Sigma scratched his eyelid as Runa continued to present her plan of action. "The Homoursae are our first line of defense. Their surviving military leader, a General Homer, volunteered to use his men as a pre-emptive strike of sorts. At the break of dawn, he will drive all six of them directly into the heart of the nearest human encampment. They will fight to the death, and he has promised that the lot of them have orders to not retreat under any circumstances. Should they defeat that camp, they will move on to the next closest, until either they have died, or the war has ended."

This news caused Sigma to bite his lip. He didn't like having to sacrifice lives for any reason. Here, the Garoujin had just made new allies of the Homoursae, and already their entire army was going to most likely be slain. He especially held disdain for sending Bartholomew out; whereas the other four bear soldiers were grizzled adult warriors, Bartholomew was still very much a child, and still a fresh recruit. Coupled with the fact that he knew Bartholomew personally, this caused Sigma to hesitate.

"The next waves of attack will come from twelve mixed groups of Youkaijin and our own people. The first wave will consist of mostly Youkaijin with a couple of Garoujin. Monk, Kaizoku, and Tatianna will also be in this wave. You and I will be in the final wave, one of the last remaining Garoujin that had not gone out in a wave before."

Sigma suddenly bolted to his feet, startling Runa, and letting the first word escape his lips since they had left the campsite. "No."

Runa furrowed her brow, blinked, and stared hard at her cousin. "What?"

Sigma looked up towards the ceiling. "Kaizoku fights by my side at all times."

Runa blinked again. "Wait, what...? Why?"

Sigma took a couple of steps towards the entrance to the cave, then peered outside. He could see Kaizoku sitting in profile on a log, watching a Garoujin actor, who was playing a lecherous monk, chase Rendao's priestess character.

"I'm in love with her...."

"I do swear
That I'll always be there
I'd give anything and everything
And I will always care
Through weakness and strength
Happiness and sorrow,
For better, for worse,
I will love you
With every beat of my heart"

-Shania Twain, "From This Moment"

"In love with her?" Runa scoffed, slowly walking toward Sigma. "Are you kidding? HER? After thousands of years of elligible females in our own clan throwing themselves at you, you choose an outsider? A pirate? A DRACOPYRE?"

Sigma whipped his head around toward Runa and snarled. "HEY! You watch your tongue. You and I may be close, but I will bite you if you say another discouraging thing about her. Last of my family or not, I will have no problem puncturing you with my fangs!"

Runa was stunned. She had never seen Sigma so defensive, and this was the first time in her life that he had ever turned a harsh word to her. She watched as Sigma's single eye glistened with fervor. For the first time since she lost both of her parents in the outbreak of 1506, Runa felt tears rolling down her muzzle.

"Sigma..."

Sigma narrowed his eye and gritted his fangs, grabbing Runa by the collar and dragging her to the mouth of the cave. He hastily pointed at Kaizoku with his other paw. "You see her? You see this woman, Runa? She shall fight by my side. And she shall not perish. The fate of this clan rests within her paws."

"Huh?" Runa was obviously too scared and confused to make heads or tails out of what her cousin was telling her. "What... what do you mean?"

Sigma snapped his paw back and let go of Runa's clothes, causing her to momentarily stumble, and almost fall. Sigma turned his back to her. "Never you mind that. Just keep planning for tomorrow. I need to take a walk. I'm fine with whatever you strategies you choose." He turned his head toward her again. "Just remember what I have said." With those words, he vanished from her sight.

Runa could do nothing for several minutes. What had just occurred was a very uncharacteristic lashing out from Sigma. She began to see that perhaps he indeed loved this pirate with all of his heart. Trembling slightly, Runa forced herself to focus on more important matters, and went about making changes to the plans.

-----

Sigma had stripped himself of his shirt and was running through the nearby forest. Sweat clung to his fur and tingled when in it came in contact with the cool night air. Thousands of thoughts raced through his mind.

'Why?' he wondered. 'Why can she not see that I love Kaizoku. I love her more than anything - even more than life itself. And besides that... she is integral to this war and the lives of us all. Those other women... they were only after me for the pedigree. Kaizoku cares not that I lead the Yamiokami... only that I am the true love of her life.'

Sigma rounded back to the edge of the forest, near the campsite, and slowed his pace to a walk. Panting heavily, he took the time to catch his breath. Then, he swallowed all of his uncertainties of the past hour and strolled over to the campsite.Wrapping his arms tightly around Kaizoku from behind, he nuzzled her softly.

"'Ello, love," said the pirate as she reached up and caressed the ninja's face.

"Hi sweetheart," said Sigma, and he removed his right arm from her body and held onto the paw of Kaizoku's that touched him.

"How did the battle planning go?"

Sigma swallowed hard, not wanting to tell her that they had fought about her. "Runa is finishing up the calculations now."

"That's good. You and I are fighting side-by-side, right?"

Sigma nodded. "Yes, m'love." He sat down behind Kaizoku and wrapped his other arm back around her.

"Great," Kaizoku said with a smile, turning her head to lick the underside of her lover's muzzle.

The two of them sat there in silence, the pirate in the ninja's embrace, and watched the end of the kabuki act. Then, hand-in-hand, without another word, they retreated to Sigma's cave. Runa had fallen asleep upon nearly completed plans. Kaizoku and Sigma walked over to Sigma's bedding, and with nothing more than a kiss and sharing the words of "I love you", they too, had gone to sleep.

"I would walk on water
Just to be with you
Walk on water
Just to be with you
Split the ocean,
Cross the sea
Walk on water
If you believe
"

Milk, inc. "Walk on Water"

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:31:42 AM »
CHAPTER FIVE - WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?
-------------------------------------

"Brother, my brother
Tell me what are we fighting for?
We've got to end this war
We should love one another
Oh, can't we just pretend
This war never began?
We can try
Brother, my brother"

-Blessid Union of Souls; Brother, My Brother

The sound of a resounding gong vibrated throughout the air in the wee hours of the morning. Dawn was breaking; the last preperations of war were to be made. Sigma slowly opened his eye, at first confused as to why the enormous percussion apparatus was echoing throughout the cave; it had been many years since he had heard its call.

His vision focused, he realized that he was now looking at the face of the slumbering Kaizoku. He had heard the gong struck four times now, and was puzzled as to why she had not even stirred at the sound. Smiling slightly, Sigma licked the length of Kaizoku's muzzle. Her eyes fluttered open instantly, and she smiled.

"Hey baby," she cooed, wagging her tail.
"Hi," Sigma replied, giving her a smile back. "Sleep well?"
Kaizoku let out a long silent yawn, stretching her arms toward the head of the bed. "Yeah, I did. You?"
"Pretty much," said Sigma, his voice stern now. "I slept the night through, but it wasn't exactly a sound sleep. I think anxiety of the war was the culprit."

The gong kept ringing in the background, Sigma estimated it had done so twenty times now. The sound was beginning to irritate him now, and he was pretty sure Kaizoku had the same sentiment.

"Somebody shut that freakin' thing up!" she growled. "It's giving me a headache!"

Sigma got up and out of bed, scratching his muzzle. He poked his head and top torso out of the cavern entrance, running the side of his right index finger across his throat to signal for them to quit pounding the instrument.

As Sigma walked back toward
the bed, Kaizoku muttered, "Mmm... that's better."

Sigma stopped as he passed the table that Runa had spent the night at. Both she and the plans were no longer present, leading him to believe that she had taken herself to an early awakening for further preparation.

"So," said Sigma, stretching his arms outward and popping several vertebrae. "Are you ready for this?"
Kaizoku slipped her eyepatch on. "About as ready as I've ever been for a battle."
Sigma tussled his own hair, then helped Kaizoku up from her sitting position on the bed. She threw on her jacket and the two of them walked out of the cave.

------------
In the town's center, nearly every denizen, as well as the Youkaijin, were gathered around a raised podium. Sigma was unsure
how he was going to wade through the crowd. Fortunately, Runa, who was standing at the podium flanked by four jounin, or high-ranking ninja soldiers. She announced Sigma's arrival, and like the legendary Red Sea, the mass of people parted wide enough for Sigma and Kaizoku to move through.
The two of them took to the stage and stood on either side of Runa, between her and the jounin. Kaizoku noticed Tatiana and Monk in the front row.

Runa waited for the crowd to die down from the joyous roaring it had given due to their leader arriving. Then, she continued the speech she had been given beforehand.

"As I had said, the Homoursae are already on their way to the first human camp. Let us ask Amaterasu to watch over them safely." Every individual bowed their heads and were completely silent.

"Wait..." one Youkaijin said suddenly, breaking the hallowed silence. "What... what was that?"

Everyone's heads rose, listening hard for a second occurance of the sound. In the distance, but close enough to cause the ground to shake, was an explosion.

"What in the world...?" Sigma trailed off.

Another explosion, this time, it was close enough to see. In the midst of the roaring fire and thick, black smoke, Sigma could vaguely make out the shape of a fighter jet.

"It's the humans!" Sigma yelled.

Kaizoku uttered a four-lettered profanity. "An ambush!"

The crowd went into mass hysteria. Screams, cries, and growls eminated from within.

"All right!" Runa yelled. "People, people, PEOPLE! We knew this was a possibility! We need to keep calm and initate Plan B!"

"Plan B?" Sigma whispered to Runa. "What is Plan B?"

Runa whispered back to Sigma, but loud enough so Kaizoku could hear. "Plan B... is to attack any human that poses a threat to us on sight. They've brought the fight to our homeland, and now we shall drive them out!"
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 06:35:41 AM by IamTheS »