The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How does one figure out their therio/otherkin type?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Laila

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • meh
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Owl/Cat Hybrid
  • Coloring: White with grey and black markings
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 165ish, including wings
  • Build: smol
  • Currently: Rolling around on the floor
How does one figure out their therio/otherkin type?
« on: December 30, 2015, 12:50:44 AM »
I've been having a lot of trouble trying to figure this out lately because I'm getting so many mixed messages.
I feel feathery wings, cat-like ears, fangs, and possibly horns. I also have a strong feeling I am spacekin.
If anyone could help me out, it would be grearly appreciated. If there aren't enough details, I can deifinitely give out more.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:20:08 AM by Laila »
I did the thing! Am I cool now?

Please love me *curls into ball*

Offline Oanta

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Gray and Red
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200
  • Build: Average Muscled build
Re: How does one figure out their therio/otherkin type?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:04:11 AM »
I wouldn't consider myself a therian but from what I have read, feeling multiple things could mean that you have multiple kins. 

Offline Laila

• Avid Aardvark
  • meh
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Owl/Cat Hybrid
  • Coloring: White with grey and black markings
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 165ish, including wings
  • Build: smol
  • Currently: Rolling around on the floor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 10:18:47 PM »
How one determines their other/theriotype is different from person to person, but a lot of therians and otherkin use meditation for that. A lot of people also keep a diary or a log of how they felt and what they did, then compare them to the real-life animals or mythical creature to see what comes the closest to what they feel. For me, I just knew it. I was wondering what animal I would be if I was one, then 'snow leopard' popped up in my head somehow and it just clicked. Others find out by trying - try out one animal, see how it feels and adjust their next attempt based on what they felt. If someone tried out a wolf for example, and it felt fairly good except that something was off, he/she might try a dog next.

If you have mixed feelings, it could be you have multiple kins, like Oanta mentioned. Other than that I've also heard some therians/otherkin feel like they're a hybrid of two creatures, like a wolf and a dog, and I've heard of winged wolfs as well. To figure stuff like this out, more details would be welcome. Things that would help are for example what phantom parts you feel, how often you feel them, what phantom parts you feel at the same time etcetera.
Wow, this is really helpful. Thanks!
As for phantom limbs and such, I always feel fangs, ears, and a tail together. I feel the wings very often, and horns are often felt with them.
I did the thing! Am I cool now?

Please love me *curls into ball*

Offline Oanta

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Gray and Red
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200
  • Build: Average Muscled build
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 06:24:22 AM »
Wow, this is really helpful. Thanks!
As for phantom limbs and such, I always feel fangs, ears, and a tail together. I feel the wings very often, and horns are often felt with them.

A Jersey Devil fits most of that minus the fangs.  It depends on the types of parts that you are feeling I guess but that's one creature that fits the majority of those parts.

Offline Fenox Helkiin

• Gregarious Gnu
  • I like being a pet. :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/husky/snow leopard
  • Height: 6ft 2
  • Weight: ~13st
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
I found mine, a fennec fox, by how I act in public. Skittish, shy and excitable. :3
  • Signature art by: Jack Cringer

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:09:03 PM »
I have felt a special connection to dogs for years, and I often feel larger ears, and I seem to yawn like one. I feel extra connected to wolves and German Shepherds.

I am quiet, aggressive, smart, but SUPER loyal. And I don't trust people. What does that make me?