The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just need a little push, I guess.  (Read 826 times)

Offline Marie the Skunk

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Species: Skunk
  • Coloring: Black, white, pink
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 150
  • Build: Curvy, athletic
  • Currently: Anxious, tired
Just need a little push, I guess.
« on: December 08, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
So, I'm 19 and have recently been introduced to the furry world. I never really thought there were people who dressed up in these highly detailed suits that they made themselves and put lots of love into. I'm a creative person, there's no denying it. But the community and suits really peaked my interest. I started adding hella suiters on facebook and checked out their suits and whatnot and became more interested. I really wanted to make my own fursona, so I started thinking and it took a couple months, but I finally came up with one that really fit me. I drew up so many drafts and kept giving up because I realized I was totally uninformed and fresh into this. I didn't want to come off as arrogant or stupid. But I saw my Facebook friends at MFF and thought it looked really amazing. The more I look at their suits and their world, though.. The more I feel like I don't belong. I feel like no one is going to like me. Or that people will reject me. Or that I won't be as good as everyone else and I'll get made fun of.. I don't wanna mess up. And I feel like maybe I won't belong because maybe my heart isn't in the right place for fursuiting. I really love the creativity. And I'd love to make a suit and draw lots of fur art. But I feel like every serious suiter out there isn't like me. And maybe I'll get frowned upon at a con. Idk. I just also don't know the terms for everything or how it all works in the community. So I don't wanna say something wrong and everyone think I'm dumb.. Like how I thought "yiff" was a general term for furries with cute suits and sonas. I thought I was complimenting the guy, but I probably just made him uncomfortable..
  • Avatar by: When I post her, all the art will be by me c:

Offline COOT

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Eastern Cottontail
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: coot is tired
Re: Just need a little push, I guess.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »

hi! im actually on the same boat as you- im very new to all of this and the thought of being frowned upon and having a ruined rep scares me alot!
i think the best thing you can do is make mistakes! easier said than done, but making mistakes is often how anyone grows stronger personally wise, and just in general! if you allow yourself to have a chance, then youre sure to be okay hun. and i guess this is what having a furry forum is all about too! you can talk to people, skilled or not, people who make fursuits, buy them, maybe they dont fursuit at all; but at the end of the day, everyone here is a fan! (thats not to say youll never run into rude people though)i guess think of it like- you might have saw this really popular, skilled fursuiter, what could have been going through their head the first time they joined this fandom? probably the same as you, if not fairly similar! i think everyone to a certain degree feels or has felt what youre feeling, and thats totally normal! just remember that you do belong! everything takes time and effort, and ive heard some good things about the fandom- theres alot of people thatll warm up to ya and come to say hi in no time! and if not so quickly, try maybe dropping a message to someone you look up to! <: (and if ya need any friends im free to chat whenever!)
☽* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*☾
👽 ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀ ɢʜᴏsᴛ ᴅʀɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴀ ᴍᴇᴀᴛ-ᴄᴏᴀᴛᴇᴅ sᴋᴇʟᴇᴛᴏɴ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ᴏғ sᴛᴀʀᴅᴜsᴛ. ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ sᴄᴀʀᴇᴅ ᴏғ? 👽
☽* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*☾

Offline Ræfóa Aldrnari

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Most Online
  • Earlier known as Ulvus Lumia
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Brown fox
  • Coloring: Brown, dark brown, grey, beige
  • Height: 1m 73cm (5'8&quot;)
  • Weight: 53 kg. (117 lb.)
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *Browsing memes*
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
Suiting up in a fursuit is all about connecting with your fursona, as well as your creative side, I consider. You don't have to be afraid, that people will frown upon you, because you "don't fit in". You fit in the furry community, as much as every other furry. There is no "right way" to be a furry. You express your creativeness in any way you like. If that is fursuiting, then do it. No one will frown upon you doing it, and I, personally, find it really cool, that you wanna do fursuiting. Don't feel pressured to not being creative :)

Please check out my DeviantArt page!
I would greatly appreciate it.

Reference sheet by myself!

Offline Rho'Syn Ilwynog

• Foxy Fox
  • Being my 1337 self
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Augmented Fox
  • Coloring: Red fox pattern, neon green hair, Augmented arms, augmented eyes
  • Height: A little taller than usual
  • Build: Medium
  • Currently: Lurking
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »
If it helps, Ive been a part of the fandom for 7 years, and I've never been to a con, fursuited, or really had IRL furry friends.

Its okay to be nervous. It is a big social pool like any other, but what I found with the fandom is that people, remember this is bell curve so there are exceptions, are fairly open and friendly. If you have any questions they will answer.

Speaking of, if you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm always open for talking about the fandom and I am a safe resource.