The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Dealing with Health Problems: A support Thread  (Read 475 times)

Offline StealthSushi

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Shark (Specifics are currently up in the air)
  • Coloring: Tannish yellow
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: Never ask a shark her weight.
  • Build: I'm not fat, I'm fluffy.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Newbsville
Dealing with Health Problems: A support Thread
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »
Edit: After seeing the kind outpouring of people, I decided that it would probably be good to make this post a sort of Support thread! Below is my example of issues, feel free to post your own, and expect others to chime in on things that can help you get through your tough times. Let's try to be kind to one another, we're all in pain in to some degree.

First of all, a couple of years ago, my life was kind of halted as a result of my breaking my back. The how is a bit complicated, but let me just say I was taking care of my mother at the time of this occurrence (she has Multiple Sclerosis). At the time, I was in college, going to school for my Art Degree after my Culinary dreams fell through(Another story for another time).

I thought that I was going to get it fixed pretty quickly, but three years in, no one will do anything to my back for fear of paralyzing me. I've gained weight, I've been horrendously depressed, and a lot of the time I feel like I'm a waste of space. I feel like I'm a burden to people, and I realize I'm not the only one out there who has this sort of mindset after some kind of physical or mental trauma.

Only recently did I start getting myself back together enough to realize that I am worth something. I do have potential despite how my depression sometimes tells me otherwise. I can do things, and I have many friends whom I love dearly and help in any way I can (usually lending a supportive shoulder to lean on.) It's taken me a while to come to terms with what's wrong, but I am confident I can overcome it.

I guess I posted this wondering what people in my situation (or similar to it) do to deal with everything? How do you pick yourself up and shake some sense into yourself? How do you cope to make yourself feel useful despite your depression making you feel otherwise? What do you do to make yourself feel less lonely in these situations?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:32:01 PM by StealthSushi »
  • Avatar by: Myself, when I upload it
  • Signature art by: Also me, when I upload it

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
Re: Dealing with Health Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »
*hugs*

first of all life like that sucks

second in response to your questions

what do i do to deal with everything: i try to look ahead and keep myself surrounded with those i know as very close friends whom can help me and i can rant to

how do i pick myself up and shake sense into myself?: same as my last one my friends help me alot with stuff

how do i make myself useful?: im a tech fur i try to help others with alot of computer issues i also am a job seeker i do alot of freelancing stuff with computes

what do i do to make myself feel less lonely?: friends and my mate (one person whom you may like is trixsie vixen she is on the froums abit and a nice person) and i am planing to do a 4wd trip around my home country of australia when i can to visit friends that i have met from here and on twitter
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
Re: Dealing with Health Problems
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:13:50 PM »
I struggle with this as well, though perhaps not to the degree that you do. I developed a gnarly medical issue late last year. I have been grounded since February and have been undergoing treatment ever since, including one surgery. I still haven't gotten better enough to function like a "normal" person. Things have been hard and some days are extraordinarily rough.

My advice? First, if there is anybody in your life you can lean on, then lean. I have some great friends who have helped me in a rough spot here and there. My partner has been awesome as well, and without all of these people things would have been even more challenging.

Also, if you can all occupy your time, do it. If you can write, then work on a short story or maybe take up blogging. If you are at all musical and play an instrument, then practice like you never have before and keep practicing. Artistic? Start churning out works like no tomorrow. Can you do any crafts? Then knit a scarf or make some pottery. Do you have a laptop or some computer? Find some kind of work online (it doesn't pay well but it does exist). Being productive when you can will at least keep you occupied and can maybe even help bolster your spirits if you have something to show for your time.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!