The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 9551 times)

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »
I think I am leaning towards some weird combination of new age spirituality blended with non traditional monotheism myself. I feel pretty lost but I know I am making my way somewhere.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline Paradox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Huh?
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Teal, with very light cyan underbelly
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: Doing nothing and/or working.
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2015, 06:00:14 PM »
I'm happy to see that most people are open to other ideas; blind faith really bothers me. I think that's why I respect Buddhism: they tell you that you've got to find the truth on your own!

I got better by a combination of starting my own business, getting professional help, and letting loose more [removed content]! 

Woops, can't talk about recreational substances, apparently XD My bad!
I really need to re-RE-read the rules...

Offline CrazyCat

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Domestic Cat
  • Coloring: gray fur with white belly, chest, and paws.Tip of the tail is also white. Has green eyes.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 65kg
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: A Nervous Wreck
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2015, 02:26:45 AM »
Personally I feel that everything will eventually be explained by science. If it's "supernatural" then it's just not been explained -yet.

You raise a really good point. Maybe many years from now we'll be able to explain all this supposedly supernatural stuff, kinda like how thousands of years ago phenomena we now understand were thought of as supernatural (lightning, volcanic eruptions, epidemics, etc.)
There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's
There's no right way to eat a Rhesus

Offline Paradox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Huh?
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »
Personally I feel that everything will eventually be explained by science. If it's "supernatural" then it's just not been explained -yet.

You raise a really good point. Maybe many years from now we'll be able to explain all this supposedly supernatural stuff, kinda like how thousands of years ago phenomena we now understand were thought of as supernatural (lightning, volcanic eruptions, epidemics, etc.)

Exactly! A couple rhousand years ago we thought lightning was God's wrath, rainbows were signs, alcohol was good for children, and lots of other silly things XD In a few thousand years in the future, most of the stuff we do will probably seem pretty stupid, too XD

I mean, imagine if we discovered that magic is real. Pretty crazy and supernatural, man! But a couple hundred years later, science will have explained how it works and it'll just be another branch of science. Just like medicine went from spirit healing and potions to scientific drugs, alchemy turned into chemistry, and animal/plant husbandry turned into genetics!

Offline CrazyCat

• Handsome Horse
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: gray fur with white belly, chest, and paws.Tip of the tail is also white. Has green eyes.
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »

Exactly! A couple rhousand years ago we thought lightning was God's wrath, rainbows were signs, alcohol was good for children, and lots of other silly things XD In a few thousand years in the future, most of the stuff we do will probably seem pretty stupid, too XD

I mean, imagine if we discovered that magic is real. Pretty crazy and supernatural, man! But a couple hundred years later, science will have explained how it works and it'll just be another branch of science. Just like medicine went from spirit healing and potions to scientific drugs, alchemy turned into chemistry, and animal/plant husbandry turned into genetics!

Though to be fair the whole "let's drink wine instead of water" thing was possibly because back then people didn't know about germ theory. They just knew drinking water from a stream made them crap out their intestines and drinking wine from a bottle didn't. So they drank wine.

Offline Paradox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Huh?
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2015, 11:28:48 PM »

Though to be fair the whole "let's drink wine instead of water" thing was possibly because back then people didn't know about germ theory. They just knew drinking water from a stream made them crap out their intestines and drinking wine from a bottle didn't. So they drank wine.

Exactly! They did what seemed to work, and in this instance they were mainly right, but in hindsight, they look stupid for not knowing to boil water, and for getting their kids drunk XD

My point is not that such practices always fail, but that everything will be proven to work via science, and that many things we do now will look stupid in the future.

For example: chemotherapy seems to work, but it's brutal on the patient, and I expect will seem barbaric, much as blood-letting and drilling holes in the skull do to us.

Another example, which is nebulous because I too am ignorant, is toxic substances: I would lay money that some if not many substances we come into regular contact with will be found to be highly poisonous or similarly unhealthy. Prior examples include asbestos construction, lead plumbing, radioactive drinks (seriously), cocaine everything, and mercury.

Superstitious beliefs are similarly easy to fall prey to because they seem to work! I always pressed the stopwalk buttons at intersections, but recently found out that most are dummy buttons that do nothing; but it SEEMED like it was making it go faster! XD Historical examples of superstition that seemed to work include, well, everything anyone ever did, basically: praying/sacrificing for good harvests (and then justifying the outcome afterwards), virgin sacrifices to volcanoes when the rumbles, etc.

The sneaky thing about superstition is that you're inclined to justify the result regardless of what it is. For example, when I was a kid, I really wanted to be a wizard and do magic. To that end, I bought magic books and read how to do magic online. After a failed attempt, I'd just say that "I did it wrong" or "It's more subtle than I thought" or "it has a delay", etc. What I really meant is "there's no evidence this works, but I really really want it to so it must." XD

I think I may have gotten off topic... Sorry XD

Offline CrazyCat

• Handsome Horse
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2015, 12:18:23 AM »

Exactly! They did what seemed to work, and in this instance they were mainly right, but in hindsight, they look stupid for not knowing to boil water, and for getting their kids drunk XD

My point is not that such practices always fail, but that everything will be proven to work via science, and that many things we do now will look stupid in the future.

For example: chemotherapy seems to work, but it's brutal on the patient, and I expect will seem barbaric, much as blood-letting and drilling holes in the skull do to us.

Another example, which is nebulous because I too am ignorant, is toxic substances: I would lay money that some if not many substances we come into regular contact with will be found to be highly poisonous or similarly unhealthy. Prior examples include asbestos construction, lead plumbing, radioactive drinks (seriously), cocaine everything, and mercury.

Superstitious beliefs are similarly easy to fall prey to because they seem to work! I always pressed the stopwalk buttons at intersections, but recently found out that most are dummy buttons that do nothing; but it SEEMED like it was making it go faster! XD Historical examples of superstition that seemed to work include, well, everything anyone ever did, basically: praying/sacrificing for good harvests (and then justifying the outcome afterwards), virgin sacrifices to volcanoes when the rumbles, etc.

The sneaky thing about superstition is that you're inclined to justify the result regardless of what it is. For example, when I was a kid, I really wanted to be a wizard and do magic. To that end, I bought magic books and read how to do magic online. After a failed attempt, I'd just say that "I did it wrong" or "It's more subtle than I thought" or "it has a delay", etc. What I really meant is "there's no evidence this works, but I really really want it to so it must." XD

Although Asians DID figure out that boiling water made it safe. Though they most likely had no idea why. Which is why most Asians nowadays can't hold their liquor (they don't have the necessary enzymes needed to metabolize alcohol).

And yeah I agree with you on superstitions. All people have a tendency to see patterns where there are none and we usually don't seek out explanations other than the first thing that seems to fit based on experiences.

We've derailed  this thread long enough. Back on topic.

Offline Paradox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Huh?
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2015, 02:59:18 AM »
Wow! I did not know that! I'll have to look it up to be sure, but it sounds reasonable!

But its my post!! But you're right: back to religious stuff! XD

Offline Dagmar1177

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2015, 04:47:49 AM »
There so much quoting happening I don't even know what's going on anymore. D:

Offline Paradox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Huh?
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
There so much quoting happening I don't even know what's going on anymore. D:

Quoted. XD

Yeah, sorry! It's just so difficult to separate just the parts I want (on mobile, at least) so I just quote the entire post XD QUOTEPOCALYPSE!

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »

Although Asians DID figure out that boiling water made it safe. Though they most likely had no idea why. Which is why most Asians nowadays can't hold their liquor (they don't have the necessary enzymes needed to metabolize alcohol).

And yeah I agree with you on superstitions. All people have a tendency to see patterns where there are none and we usually don't seek out explanations other than the first thing that seems to fit based on experiences.

We've derailed  this thread long enough. Back on topic.
Nooo!

I wanna say this really well fits my religious beliefs. (or lack thereof?)

Offline Paradox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Huh?
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2015, 11:55:31 PM »
Nooo!

I wanna say this really well fits my religious beliefs. (or lack thereof?)

"I'm going to allow this." XD

Yay! See? We dragons know whats going on =P Or at least all share the same delusions, which TECHNICALLY means that it's not considered a delusion!

From the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, defining "delusions":
“A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everyone else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary. The belief is not one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person’s culture or subculture (e.g. it is not an article of religious faith). "
Which personally I think is silly; the number of people who believe something has no bearing on it's validity!

But, um, yes, got off topic... THE CONE NIPPLE PEOPLE WILL RULE THIS WORLD!! Rick and Morty, anyone? XD

Offline Furrball

• Avid Aardvark
  • A fur of many sonas.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Shades of orange.
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 200lbs
  • Build: Average (maybe a little stronger built and a bit chubby)
  • Currently: Done with cleaning, and ready for Thanksgiving.
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
I'm an ecclectic pagan. It's nice, because I can choose bits and pieces of different religions and customize the experience so it's just for me.  :) It makes it a lot more personal.
I make sense to me.... does that count?

Offline Paradox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Huh?
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2015, 08:14:41 PM »
I'm an ecclectic pagan. It's nice, because I can choose bits and pieces of different religions and customize the experience so it's just for me.  :) It makes it a lot more personal.

Huh! That's fascinating! Thanks for sharing! =D

(Woops, autocorrect made that "don't")
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:32:40 PM by Paradox »

Offline Maple Bacon

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2015, 08:21:35 PM »
Norse Pagan. I was "awakened" in 2013 when I decided my previous religion wasn't for me. I love the values of Norse Paganism and have always lived by them even before I converted.