The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tips and tricks for 1st timers drawing their own fursona  (Read 1311 times)

Offline TiberusBlueWolf

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • 'God will judge our enemies, we'll arrange the mee
    • DeviantArt
    • 'Be Unique, Be Furry' Facebook page
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey fur
  • Height: 191cm
  • Weight: 189 Pounds
  • Build: Semi Muscular
  • Currently: Feeling Rough
Tips and tricks for 1st timers drawing their own fursona
« on: July 03, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
Any tips and tricks to drawing your own unique fursona? I currently have drawn mine, but it's based on work by an artist called 'flaredra' I do believe. Any tips?

We fight, We recruit, We are the anthropomorphic army.

2nd in Command of the Furry Defence Force. Lieutenant Tiberus. Special operations British Sniper.

Offline Obey138 (Matthew "Fluffy")

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • ~$ sudo pm-hibernate
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Last.fm Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Catwolf
  • Coloring: Dark-grey fur (#767b7d), cream-white straps and belly (#f3f1e4), grey additions (#b5b3ad)
  • Height: ~183cm / ~6ft / ~72inch
  • Weight: ~73kg / ~161lbs
  • Build: Slim fit
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Please be aware of my rude jokes!
Re: Tips and tricks for 1st timers drawing their own fursona
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 10:45:16 PM »
Especially, how yo create great body proportions.

I'm also in need of some advice. :s

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Raccon (hybrid)
  • Coloring: Red with white fur
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 145 lbs
  • Build: long arms and legs with a very slim build.
  • Currently: gaming, job huntig, and listenig to music. Like a Elite!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:57:48 PM »
study regular human anatomy. sure it may not exactly be furry but all you need is there. also when you do your studies use actual people not artistic things. either that or find a life drawing course in your area. they are usually fairly cheap and cost effective and you will get a lot of pencil mileage from it which is what you really need. so either beet your head against the wall till you figure it out or find a life drawing course.

Offline Caesium Iodide

• Handsome Horse
  • COMMISSIONS OPEN!
    • Awards
  • Species: (Adult??) Werewolf!
  • Coloring: Blue, gray, yellow and black
  • Height: 6’8” I keep getting taller :/
  • Weight: 210
  • Build: Rather curvy, fills everything well.
  • Currently: Perhaps wanting to relive time from high school.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:13:49 AM »
Hello.

As an artist who taught herself how to do exactly what your asking, I looked at different styles and shapes. I watched videos on YouTube on how to do some things.

But when starting the drawing, start with a base of shapes. Shapes are important in this so you know proportions. Generally, you can draw however you'd like to, but that's just one suggestion.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me about it and I'll help the best I can.
Find me on amino, Twitter and patreon:
@/Cryptik_Mystic
My commissions are open. I specialize in badges but that’s not my limit! Send me a DM anywhere if you have a question or interest.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »
A friend of mine who draws pretty good recommended these:

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 12:10:29 PM »
Actually those aren't good ones. The arm structure is completely wrong and the body is flat dispite it's attempt for the pose. There is also a complete lack of foreshadowing on the legs. As for the head the eyes are improperly placed compared to the rest of the face and ears. And the muzzle doesn't stick right off of the face it swoops off like our nose. There is many more things wrong with the whole thing but then I'll have to start getting technical and rambly.

But if you want to take a tutorial walkthrough i'm not against it. But there are way better ones that actually describe what is going on and why it's happening. At first you may think you will never be able to do that but with practice you will get better. Look up proko on YouTube so far from what I have seen he is the best and he isn't completely serious about it too so it's entertaining to watch.

Oh yeah did i forget to mention that I'm a art student?

Offline Caesium Iodide

• Handsome Horse
  • COMMISSIONS OPEN!
    • Awards
  • Species: (Adult??) Werewolf!
  • Coloring: Blue, gray, yellow and black
  • Height: 6’8” I keep getting taller :/
  • Weight: 210
  • Build: Rather curvy, fills everything well.
  • Currently: Perhaps wanting to relive time from high school.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
Actually those aren't good ones. The arm structure is completely wrong and the body is flat dispite it's attempt for the pose. There is also a complete lack of foreshadowing on the legs. As for the head the eyes are improperly placed compared to the rest of the face and ears. And the muzzle doesn't stick right off of the face it swoops off like our nose. There is many more things wrong with the whole thing but then I'll have to start getting technical and rambly.

Actually, looking at the tutorial, it looks pretty good. For starters it seems like a good choice or a reference. I don't want to argue why it is what it is but I think it's good. But the ears are a little too big, but I do that same thing. Thank you for sharing the tutorial George.

As for Ben, you can use whatever tutorials you'd like. Heck, if I need to I'll make one, but it might not be as good as others.

Find me on amino, Twitter and patreon:
@/Cryptik_Mystic
My commissions are open. I specialize in badges but that’s not my limit! Send me a DM anywhere if you have a question or interest.

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »
yes i do agree that he does have the right idea going. but it completely lacks structure leaving the drawing flat and out of proportion. most good or decent artists first learn how to draw real people before making characters because you learn that structure. you don't need to be a master at it I'm not saying that just as long as you know what is going on you are good. that's why i suggested proko he breaks down each piece of the body and simplifies it so you can easily draw along. and i think he has a animal segment too.

but most of this comes down to how much you draw normally and practice. becuse a furry is just a human with animal features.

Offline RiverTheKitty

• Avid Aardvark
  • Take me as I am, or get the hell out.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Pink marbled fur, with black hair
  • Height: 6'2''
  • Weight: 130 lbs
  • Build: Lean and Slim, but muscular
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Putting off studying for AP Human Geo :D
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:22:46 AM »
Mrow! As someone who's been doing art for years, let me give you my wisdom; don't give up. Your art WILL NOT be what you want it to be at first. No where CLOSE. I used to not be able to draw worth SHIT. And now? I'm very happy with my art.

The point is, keep trying. Becuase you will look at this amazing furry art and think "They're better than me." Don't do that. Look at that art and think "Someday, I'll look at this art and think to myself 'I'm just as good as they are'." And you will. Just keep practicing. Practice practice practice. Never give up. You're gonna want to. Oh, how many times I gave up on digital art. Oh, gods. Too many. Mrrrow, much too many. But I didn't. And now people tell me all the time that they love my art.

Never give up. Keep trying, because you will get there.

As for actual advice, the thing I would suggest is looking up basic human anatomy tutorials, then looking at furry art and trying to mimic it. It's OKAY to maybe try and copy a pose you see online. DON'T TRACE. Use it just as a reference- trust me, it helps a lot.

*purrs* Hope I helped you out a bit!
If you are an furry,  it means that you can see a special kind of beauty in life - special because most people CAN'T see it through their delicate little first impressions and social conditioning. There is beauty in EVERY image, no matter what the subject matter, because beauty comes from artistic intent and integrity.

Offline TiberusBlueWolf

• Avid Aardvark
  • 'God will judge our enemies, we'll arrange the mee
    • DeviantArt
    • 'Be Unique, Be Furry' Facebook page
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Grey fur
  • Height: 191cm
  • Weight: 189 Pounds
  • Build: Semi Muscular
  • Currently: Feeling Rough
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »
Managed to get him done. So happy with him :D. Now I'm moving on to working digitally so I can make him stand out even more. Thanks for the tips guys, really helped me out on this one. P.s picture will go up later as file size is to big.

We fight, We recruit, We are the anthropomorphic army.

2nd in Command of the Furry Defence Force. Lieutenant Tiberus. Special operations British Sniper.