The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Programmer furs?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Erasmuth

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Species: Chrysocyon brachyurus
  • Currently: Woof is back!
Programmer furs?
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
    Hello!  I don't know about you guys but I love to code.  Sometimes I'll just grab a prompt from reddit and work on it in the same way an artist works on a commission.  Anyone else like that here, or am I just weird?  XD

To get things rolling I'll ask a few questions then answer them first:

What got you into programming?

What is your favorite language(s) to use?

Any projects you're working on that you can share?

I got into programming originally because of my Magic: The Gathering collection.  I got tired of sifting through piles of cards just to see if I had one that I was looking for, so I decided I'd make a digital database of cards that I could just search.  Making it as a BASH script in the terminal was easy, things got a bit out of hand when I wanted to add a GUI though.  <.<   Still working on that bit.

My main language right now is RUBY, but I'm also learning python kinda easily.  I like the way it's interpreter throws a fit if you don't indent properly, reinforces good habits.  I can also do some stuff with HTML, CSS, and a bit of PHP, but I don't use them often enough to say I'm proficient with them.

Right now I'm trying to make something for a reddit prompt.  Someone posted a challenge for a program that turns any number into a palindrome.  I got that bit down.  Right now the issue is if you feed it 99 (Or any other palindrome), you get 44044 (Or whatever palindrome comes next in line) instead of the If statement at the end catching it and saying it's already a palindrome.  If someone spots my issue there, feel free to reply.  For now though, it's still a WIP, feel free to copy and play with it if you want. ^^

Code: [Select]
#This method is used to take a number and add it to it's mirror image.
def iterate(num)
    result = num.to_i + num.to_s.reverse.to_i
    return result
end

#This method uses the iterate method repeatedly until a palindrome is found
def pal(num)
    qw = iterate(num)
    finish = false
    count = 0

while finish!= true
        if qw == qw.to_s.reverse.to_i
            finish = true
            count += 1
        else
            puts "#{qw}"
            qw = iterate(qw)
            count += 1
            sleep(0.1)
        end
    end
end

#Gets input from the user
puts "Please input number to palindromize"
num = gets.chomp

#SHOULD run the palindrome program unless num is already a palindrome, working on it
if num != num.to_s.reverse.to_i
    pal(num)
    puts "After #{count} iterations, the palindrome of #{num} is #{qw}"
else
    puts "Already a palindrome, silly!"
end
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:24:17 PM by Erasmuth »

Offline Syfaro

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • foxfoxfox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Contact Me
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple
  • Height: 5'
  • Currently: fox
Re: Programmer furs?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »
What got you into programming?

Quite a few years back, RuneScape private servers. It's where I was introduced to Java, and from there, everything went downhill. I've picked up like 4 other languages since then.

What is your favorite language(s) to use?

Current favorite is golang, also use Python and JavaScript a lot. Many of my projects use PHP because of simplicity and ease of deployment for others. Rarely use Java anymore.

Any projects you're working on that you can share?

Just recently I wrote bindings in golang for the Telegram Bot API, and I'm working on a proper bot framework for it too. There's quite a few other projects I've worked on on my GitHub page, and countless numbers that have never made it that far.

Offline Erasmuth

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:58:03 AM »
Wow, as a novice that project kinda goes over my head a bit x3

I can see the logic behind it thanks to those lovely comments though.

I'll try my paws at golang though, does it have an intended programming type?  or is it more general use?

Sorry if my noobishness is annoying x3

Offline Syfaro

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • foxfoxfox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Contact Me
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »

I can see the logic behind it thanks to those lovely comments though.

Golint complains at me if I don't comment every single exposed function!

I'll try my paws at golang though, does it have an intended programming type?  or is it more general use?

I think it's mostly for servers, the same code runs everywhere and everything is packed into a single binary instead of being dependent on system libraries. There's some bindings for Qt and the like, but I've never found those too fun to work with. But I don't really like making stuff user friendly :p

It's so easy to cross compile code, I can build a binary on any computer that'll run on every other type of computer.

Sorry if my noobishness is annoying x3

Everyone has to start somewhere!

Offline Erasmuth

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 07:24:59 PM »
I don't really like making stuff user friendly :p

Gotta keep that job security x3

Offline Syfaro

• Avid Aardvark
  • foxfoxfox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Contact Me
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »
Gotta keep that job security x3

A lot of the things I make aren't terribly useful for people who aren't comfortable with reading source code to figure out how to configure them, and even then most of those things aren't really usable for people other than me, so it's not terribly important :p

Offline Obey138 (Matthew "Fluffy")

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • ~$ sudo pm-hibernate
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Last.fm Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Catwolf
  • Coloring: Dark-grey fur (#767b7d), cream-white straps and belly (#f3f1e4), grey additions (#b5b3ad)
  • Height: ~183cm / ~6ft / ~72inch
  • Weight: ~73kg / ~161lbs
  • Build: Slim fit
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Please be aware of my rude jokes!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:38:57 PM »
Syfaro, intended to share or not, documentation is always a must.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 05:08:15 PM »
What got me into programming?
  It started with server management mainly, which is ironic cause most of my programming these days does not have anything to do with servers or web-based clients.

What are your favourite language(s)?
  I don't have a favourite language, but the ones I know best are C, C#, Java and Perl. I also am competent in Python, Haskell and few others things, like LUA, CGI, BASH, PhP and stuff.

What projects are you working on atm?

I'm currently working on two things, one for work and one for fun.

Work: I currently work at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, I'm in a team of three that are developing a visualization tool for a simulation of metastasis in bones. It works in blender and runs in python, not my first choice of utilities but what can you do. It's really cool though, currently I'm developing a UI for our program, not as easy as it sounds because blender has no UI support and we're trying not to import a UI library into it. So basically I have to design the UI like buttons, text boxes, pop-up boxes, etc, from scratch in a program environment that doesn't seem to want to have a UI x.x

Fun: Currently leading a team in developing... wait for it... a video game! It's a game designed for PC Windows, it's a little bit hard to explain so I'll give a brief detail. It's made in unity and runs on C#. The game basically follows a scientist who seeks to find meaning in life by developing a machine that will unlock the truth, you play a particle in the Quantum world that is guided to develop components of the machine. The game is heavily based on actual concepts of quantum mechanics and the puzzles usually require these concepts like Quantum Entanglement, Quantum Tunneling, Pauli exclusion principle and the Uncertainty Principle in order to solve these puzzles (though you don't need to know these before hand of course!) It's really great fun developing and is slowly becoming quite a nice game if I do say so myself!
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Obey138 (Matthew "Fluffy")

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • ~$ sudo pm-hibernate
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Last.fm Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Catwolf
  • Coloring: Dark-grey fur (#767b7d), cream-white straps and belly (#f3f1e4), grey additions (#b5b3ad)
  • Height: ~183cm / ~6ft / ~72inch
  • Weight: ~73kg / ~161lbs
  • Build: Slim fit
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Please be aware of my rude jokes!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »

blender has no UI support

TIL

I know Lua. I got into it, due to modding. I'm looking into learning C++, but I can't motivate myself.

My brother also creates mods and scripts, but for Hedgewars (2D Worms clone) and I think it also uses Lua, but I'm not sure.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:49:07 AM »
Learn C, once you know C it's easy to learn a lot of other languages like C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, etc.

This lecturer has some great vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE7l6Adoiiw&list=PLEEAD1D187A7CCD6C
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Erasmuth

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »
Something else I find is helping me out is going to htt://projecteuler.net/

This website proposes several mathematical challenges, I've been writing programs to solve them one at a time to help stimulate logical thinking ^^