The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Habbit to stop in the middle of something  (Read 479 times)

Offline Jax Xa

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Back to being a macaw
    • Awards
  • Species: Macaw
  • Coloring: Blue/Yellow
  • Currently: Still into toribash. Probally arting right now.
Habbit to stop in the middle of something
« on: June 27, 2015, 01:56:25 AM »
So umh, I think I have some kinda habbit that makes me stop in the middle of stuff. Like when I make some kinda art and I don't like it, I just quit it instead of finisching it or making it look better. Is this normal and can I have any tips how to prevent doing this because I am aware of it but I just can't help it.
Been a while hasnt it?

Offline Obey138 (Matthew "Fluffy")

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • ~$ sudo pm-hibernate
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Last.fm Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Catwolf
  • Coloring: Dark-grey fur (#767b7d), cream-white straps and belly (#f3f1e4), grey additions (#b5b3ad)
  • Height: ~183cm / ~6ft / ~72inch
  • Weight: ~73kg / ~161lbs
  • Build: Slim fit
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Please be aware of my rude jokes!
Re: Habbit to stop in the middle of something
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 06:48:11 AM »
Laziness? Duh

Offline Karric

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
  • Species: husky
  • Coloring: electric blue and white
  • Height: 5foot 10
  • Build: muscular
  • Currently: bored
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
im a bit of a perfectionist try thinking do it properly or don't do it at all

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
I generally stop when I think the end product is going to be a disaster. But then you'll never learn from your mistake.
Stop half way and live with the mistake of accepting you can't make it.
or Finish it and learn from the mistake of where you went wrong in the process.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
I think it's all about motivation, because even if the end product won't be amazing, a 7/10 product is better than an unfinished 10/10 one

So yeah, it's all about motivation in my opinion, and it's hard to motivate yourself. You'll have a really cool idea, start doing it, but then the things get more repetitive, more boring, the "bad" part comes around, this is a very common part of any project and is generally called "The Wall". Almost ALL projects you'll ever work on have a Wall, an area of the project where you're just not willing to work anymore, you're demotivated, bored or feel like it's just not worth it anymore, when the only motivation for a project is yourself, it's very easy to stop working on your project at this stage. So how do you get past this motivational blockade?

The way that works best for me is to have others rely on you finishing this project. When you're in a job, you will still hit the wall but you're gonna keep on going cause others rely on you, there are negative consequences for just quitting so you can't just quit. For your art, maybe start taking requests? Someone goes "I want X", you got to give him/her X, if you don't you'll disappoint them. If you think your art is good enough, do commissions, if you don't do a commission you'll never be able to work as an artist, so even if you are the wall, even if you feel the art isn't the best, you HAVE to do it, there's no going out of it and, guess what, you will do it and it will be pretty good. Working in a team is my preferred way of getting motivated, when I'm in a team I generally get really excited about the project, even if I'm the one who motivates everyone I still feel like I should and can do this. To see other people eager to work on a project makes me eager to work on it, even if we hit a wall.

So yeah, it's all about motivation, you can't trust yourself for sole motivation of a project, try get external motivation somewhere.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Jax Xa

• Boisterous Bear
  • Back to being a macaw
    • Awards
  • Species: Macaw
  • Coloring: Blue/Yellow
  • Currently: Still into toribash. Probally arting right now.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »
I think it's all about motivation, because even if the end product won't be amazing, a 7/10 product is better than an unfinished 10/10 one

So yeah, it's all about motivation in my opinion, and it's hard to motivate yourself. You'll have a really cool idea, start doing it, but then the things get more repetitive, more boring, the "bad" part comes around, this is a very common part of any project and is generally called "The Wall". Almost ALL projects you'll ever work on have a Wall, an area of the project where you're just not willing to work anymore, you're demotivated, bored or feel like it's just not worth it anymore, when the only motivation for a project is yourself, it's very easy to stop working on your project at this stage. So how do you get past this motivational blockade?

The way that works best for me is to have others rely on you finishing this project. When you're in a job, you will still hit the wall but you're gonna keep on going cause others rely on you, there are negative consequences for just quitting so you can't just quit. For your art, maybe start taking requests? Someone goes "I want X", you got to give him/her X, if you don't you'll disappoint them. If you think your art is good enough, do commissions, if you don't do a commission you'll never be able to work as an artist, so even if you are the wall, even if you feel the art isn't the best, you HAVE to do it, there's no going out of it and, guess what, you will do it and it will be pretty good. Working in a team is my preferred way of getting motivated, when I'm in a team I generally get really excited about the project, even if I'm the one who motivates everyone I still feel like I should and can do this. To see other people eager to work on a project makes me eager to work on it, even if we hit a wall.

So yeah, it's all about motivation, you can't trust yourself for sole motivation of a project, try get external motivation somewhere.

Yupp it was the wall. Made a threat on another forum to post wips and getting postive reactions so I am eager to work again thanks for the advice Anoni and everyone else.
Been a while hasnt it?