The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: building a PC.  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Raccon (hybrid)
  • Coloring: Red with white fur
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 145 lbs
  • Build: long arms and legs with a very slim build.
  • Currently: gaming, job huntig, and listenig to music. Like a Elite!
Re: building a PC.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 10:54:29 PM »
i'm not to worried about bitcoins. just gaming and some future video editing is all i have planned for the machine.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
Just a reminder: remember to have greatly overclocked GPU (GRAM isn't that important), to use it to mine Bitcoins

bitcoin mining on a gpu is going out and he stated he isnt doing it

ill start a thread on bitcoin mining later or just go find some videows about it and the asic hardware

ive can say that it should be allright mine is nothing great but hey its my computer and thats what i like about it i do what i like you do what you like

touch the case is handy as heck dont touch the psu after its connected to pc parts tho
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Syfaro

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • foxfoxfox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Contact Me
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple
  • Height: 5'
  • Currently: fox
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 03:41:32 AM »
I agree, all you need to do is touch something metal and stay clear of soft mats and socks and you'll be fine. Make sure to use a clean table, preferably a wooden or plastic one, when building the PC to prevent the components from touching the floor!

I just do everything on my floor, has worked perfectly fine so far :p

Unless you've got carpet or something, I don't see why touching the floor would be such a big deal.

Pretty much everything Timmy said is useful and correct, but I must say Windows 8 is not worth the discount. Windows 7 is a lot more user-friendly and functional, not to mention has better compatibility with most software in my experience. 8 is a pain to work with and tends to cause issues you wouldn't get with other 0S's. Save yourself the hassle and go 7.

I cannot stand using Windows 7 anymore, everything about Windows 8 is better. And Windows 10 is coming out in just a few months anyway.

Offline Zarconite

• Hug Enthusiast
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • May or may not be a demon
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / Fox Hybrid
  • Coloring: Grey / White / Blue
  • Height: 5' 7"
  • Weight: 170
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: I think I'm finished here, I may pop up from time to time though
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 05:59:18 AM »
Tbh, the whole reason I added the I7 / 16gb of ram is just for future proofing, you never really know what is going to come out in the future or what tasks the user is going to do with said computer, admittedly you should be fine with 8gb of ram though

((Side note, Modded minecraft can use over 8gb of ram, I've had it do that in the past for me >.>))
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:09:16 AM by Zarconite »
  • Avatar by: Commision by Nimroderick
  • Signature art by: Myself - so that its easier for me to tell which posts are mine

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
Tbh, the whole reason I added the I7 / 16gb of ram is just for future proofing, you never really know what is going to come out in the future or what tasks the user is going to do with said computer, admittedly you should be fine with 8gb of ram though

((Side note, Modded minecraft can use over 8gb of ram, I've had it do that in the past for me >.> ))

it can but you can limit it aswell if you use something like feed the beast or technic launchers
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Hmmm. I guess I'll think about it. Because i like to mod my games too and games are staring to get pretty... well... pretty.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »
I agree, all you need to do is touch something metal and stay clear of soft mats and socks and you'll be fine. Make sure to use a clean table, preferably a wooden or plastic one, when building the PC to prevent the components from touching the floor!

I just do everything on my floor, has worked perfectly fine so far :p

Unless you've got carpet or something, I don't see why touching the floor would be such a big deal.

Pretty much everything Timmy said is useful and correct, but I must say Windows 8 is not worth the discount. Windows 7 is a lot more user-friendly and functional, not to mention has better compatibility with most software in my experience. 8 is a pain to work with and tends to cause issues you wouldn't get with other 0S's. Save yourself the hassle and go 7.

I cannot stand using Windows 7 anymore, everything about Windows 8 is better. And Windows 10 is coming out in just a few months anyway.

But it feels like you're trying to fiddle with an ipad when you use it. D:

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
That too.

Offline Zarconite

• Hug Enthusiast
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • May or may not be a demon
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / Fox Hybrid
  • Coloring: Grey / White / Blue
  • Height: 5' 7"
  • Weight: 170
  • Currently: I think I'm finished here, I may pop up from time to time though
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »
Operating system is just user preference, I prefer windows 7 personally but I know people also like windows 8.1
Feel free to choose which suits you best ^_^
  • Avatar by: Commision by Nimroderick
  • Signature art by: Myself - so that its easier for me to tell which posts are mine

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »
I'd still say the 4790K is a bit overkill, for just general lets plays and gaming videos you might see a difference of videos being processed maybe 10 seconds faster or so, hardly a difference.

I personally use Windows 8 and prefer it quite a bit, it's got a lot better support for things and has a lot of under-the-hood improvements over Windows 7 meaning that RAM usage will be much lower and it'll boot a bit faster (even with an SSD) for example. You can say what you want about the interface but it's really as simple as just installing a simple program and it'll look just like Window 7 yet you still get all the benefits and improvements of Windows 8.

Personally, after a bit of tinkering and organizing, I ended up preferring the Windows 8 interface over the Windows 7 start menu! The trick here is not to view (and use it) as a huge ipad-like grid of icons but rather treat it the same way you would the good ol' start menu - Just that it's bigger!

Here's a screenshot how it looks for me, notice that it's quite nice and tidy compared to what you may be used to seeing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:06:45 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
Guys i know Which one i'm going for don't worry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:53:30 PM by Drakeyboy »