The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: people  (Read 462 times)

Offline Karric

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: husky
  • Coloring: electric blue and white
  • Height: 5foot 10
  • Build: muscular
  • Currently: bored
people
« on: June 06, 2015, 11:02:33 AM »
i often have trouble with finding common ground to talk to people because what i am interested in is nothing like the common interests of people in my age I like science and things like that i am rely confident thou so actually talking is not a issue its just relating to the subject
i know it seems like a weird thing to put on this forum but why not
just wondering if anyone has any advice ?
 :S

Offline Obey138 (Matthew "Fluffy")

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • ~$ sudo pm-hibernate
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Last.fm Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Catwolf
  • Coloring: Dark-grey fur (#767b7d), cream-white straps and belly (#f3f1e4), grey additions (#b5b3ad)
  • Height: ~183cm / ~6ft / ~72inch
  • Weight: ~73kg / ~161lbs
  • Build: Slim fit
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Please be aware of my rude jokes!
Re: people
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:22:17 PM »
You don't have to restrict your friends to your age group.

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:34:26 AM »
You don't have to restrict your friends to your age group.

This is definitely true, use this advice.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Karric

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »
that's fair thanks :)

Offline Kai

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Canine
  • Height: 5'10 when standing.
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: Slim/Athletic
  • Currently: Tired and sociable.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 03:49:29 AM »
<essay>

I know what you mean.
Currently, I'm 18, but growing up my parents were dirt poor, so we didn't live in a good part of town, meaning I didn't go to a very good school.
I went to elementary, junior high and high school and totally isolated myself for the most part. I really only talked to my dad and some of his friends, and people online who thought I was older than I was.
I never really got to be a kid, and I think given a second childhood I wouldn't do anything different regarding that.

When I was 15 I dropped out of high school and went to college instead, where I found friends who, for once, I could actually connect to and carry a conversation with. It was amazing, I thought I had found nirvana.
That does not mean drop out of school. Don't do that. I'm still surprised I didn't crash and burn.

Something I'll mention, however, is that even though I carried myself like I was 25 and people occasionally thought I was 25, I was still only 15-16.
I drank myself into oblivion almost every night I had an opportunity to- I'll blame it on stress if I have to- and I regret it every day. The things they say about developing brains vs. drugs and alcohol are true.

Anyway, there's an ingrain that we absorb from rules and laws about age- which i do not mean to invalidate, those laws are there for a reason- that tells us once we turn 18 we suddenly turn into new people with worldly knowledge and maturity capable of handling anything; this isn't true.
When we turn 18, or 21, our brains and bodies are nearly exactly the way the were the day before, it just becomes legal for us to do more things with them.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is stay out of trouble, I've been in your situation and it sucks for a while, but the way you think is the way you think, and some people just don't really identify with their own age group, and that's okay. The trick is finding a safe place with people with whom you CAN identify, without getting into stuff like drinking/drugs/etc.

</essay>

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 03:55:41 AM »
I have had the exact same issue on ceratin occasions, mostly when I has in my later years of middle school.
What worked for me was making attempts at meeting people I hadn't tried interacting with before. I'm not talking about the brick-headed jocks or the druggies, I'm just saying that there are occasions where there are people who you just never consider interacting with. Eventually, I met a group of people who I can honestly say I will remember for a long time. I wouldn't have met them if I hadn't just walked up and said hello one day early in my freshman year.
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt

Offline Karric

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »