The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with the witcher 3  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Ryan Naismith

• Kuddly Kitten
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • Hope, however desperate, is never without merit
  • Species: Coyote! Canis Latrans (best canine)
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 71 kilograms
  • Build: Toned
  • Currently: BACK
Help with the witcher 3
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:45:35 PM »
So yeah. A friend of mine and myself chipped in to buy the abovementioned game on GOG.com, but ,sadly, he is unable to run it. His laptop has all of the specs needed besides the graphics card, and he has about $500 saved up for a gaming PC.

Is there a way he could buy a graphics card and run it externally? (like just hook the card up to his laptop and run it from there)

FDF forever!

To judge from the notions expounded by theologians, one must conclude that God created most men simply with a view to crowding hell.
-Marquis de Sade
The way is lit. The path is clear.
We require only the strength to follow it.

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
Re: Help with the witcher 3
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 10:59:33 PM »
I don't think it is possible to attach a GPU to a laptop. Laptops lack the proper slots or space for graphics cards, so it looks like your friend is out of luck for the moment.
Upgrading the GPU on a laptop usually means replacing the entire CPU, due to the use of integrated graphics chips in most laptops.
Also, not only is replacing the CPU a massive pain, but it can often mean voiding your warrantly as a result.
Sometimes, even better CPUs don't necessarily have better GPUs either. You could end up seeing the same graphic capabilities in an i3 as an i7.
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:01:07 PM »
not that i know sadly altho the gpu for a gaming pc unless its something like a 750 ti im usnsure to if it can run witcher 3

also external gpu laptops there's one so far that's msi GS30 and that's like 2.7k here in aus

link:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1538_1539&products_id=30366
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:46:37 AM »
Short answer: Unfortunately, most likely nothing that can be done.

Long answer: There's been some development into external GPU's but it's so far all proprietary and requires certain connectors and ports and only functions with certain (very expensive) laptops at this point. He might be able to play it if he lowered the graphics settings to the lowest settings but if it still won't run decently I'm afraid he's out of luck and will have to save up some more.

Sometimes, even better CPUs don't necessarily have better GPUs either. You could end up seeing the same graphic capabilities in an i3 as an i7.
Integrated graphics really isn't that great on the Intel side of things anyway, even the best such is hardly enough to run any decently modern/demanding game. AMD is better with integrated, still far from desktop level but still a lot better than anything Intel has to offer and enough for some laptop gaming from time to time. If you want to play games with nice graphics though your laptop should have a dedicated graphics chip and not just integrated graphics, although I wouldn't say that laptops are that great for gaming in the first place...
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!