The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Plantigrade versus Digitigrade Foot Structure: Could it Actually Work?  (Read 824 times)

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
Humans have a plantigrade foot structure, where surface contact is made primarily by the heel, ball of the foot, and toes. On the other hand, digitigrades, such as canines and felines, make use of only the toes and ball of the foot (if looking at it from an anatomically relative perspective). This sacrifices stability on two feet for better leverage, which translates to increased physical capabilities, such as a stronger jump or a faster running speed. Could a digitigrade foot structure really work as part of a bipedal, humanoid body?

Would the tradeoffs be worth it? Post your opinions below.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:26:22 AM by HollowOfHaze »
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt

Offline Skael

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Mad linguist
    • Awards
  • Species: Hyena
  • Height: 5ft 11in
  • Weight: 154.3lbs
  • Currently: Alive
I think it would work, but paws will be sized like our feet, as we can stand on our toes, and the loss of balance will be caught back with our tails... But that's only my thought.

Pet's name : Eusa

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
  • Reference: [link]
This may sound odd, but when I ran cross country I ran on the balls of me feet and toes. I just performed better when I ran like that. Even though it resulted with the nickname of Twinkle Toes, but that's not the point. I personally feel it effective being that I'll frequently walk like that. I don't lose to much stability.
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.