Author Topic: Alienware laptops  (Read 3185 times)

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
Alienware laptops
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:12:19 AM »
to start off DONT FIGHT i just need ideas so i know more i need to know what other that have used one think of them please no fighting here or i will have the thread locked just your personal opinions about them
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: Alienware laptops
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 03:15:41 AM »
My only opinion is that you have much cheaper alternative choices that work more efficiently. Many Alienware laptop users have money to spend frequently, because Dell laptops are particularly fragile when pushed too much on performance.

Just personal experience from using a $2200 mid-level Dell laptop in 2005.

I recommend Asus, MSI, or Ibuypower laptops. Usually if you know where to look, you can get top of the line portable hardware for $800-$1200. If you ever travel to the states, you can get a whole bunch more on AUS currency compared to USD currency.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 03:52:10 AM »
a good msi laptop here costs over a grand buy itself and the reason for asking is untill i can get my desktop upgraded to handle game dev programs i am stuck with the laptop

Offline mindcrasherTheFox

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • :) happy face
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: fur is orange and underside is white
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:16:38 AM »
well this is a what i think you are paying way to much for the computer that should cost you a lot less you are really paying for the name and leds
profile picture: kittenScientist

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 03:50:06 AM »
well for a good msi one its over a grand http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1538_1539 link to the msi ones

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:16 AM »
I own the alienware x51 desktop and i am very pleased with my purchase. And everyone who says "Oh youre paying for a name" theyre right and wrong. And when i say theyre right i meam youre paying a little bit extra for great customer service and a convienent warranty. If you were to build your own computer you would have to get a warranty for EVERY PART. Thats a hassle and expensive. And the Alien FX feature is amazing. In games like payday your keyboard, computer, and mouse (if you have the alienware tactx mouse and keyboard which are great and pretty cheap for what they are) turn red during an assaultnwave amd green for the other times. And i have very little space to work with at my desk and the x51 is ther perfect size. Its a LIIITTTLE  bigger than an xbox. \

All in all if you really wanna build your computer and save a couple hundred bucks go for it. The money youre saving isnt a lot.
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

Offline Rattatat

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: shimmering dark purple, pebble like scales everywhere except for the neon blue, glowing, scales on the back side of hands arms feet and legs.
  • Height: 6'#039#039#0395
  • Weight: 260 lbs
  • Build: lanky, toned, and angular
  • Currently: Curious
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
I own an alien laptop, cant remember the name though :P

Im pleased with it, but the operating system that alienware has is a modified windows 7 (If you get windows 7 with it) It can be a pain at times, but their customer support is great and you don't have to worry if the PC works correctly or not. It is certainly not a gamble buying one and I recommend them to anyone who doesn't build their own PC's.

If you do build computers then make your own and don't get an Alienware unless you are lazy and don't feel like putting a computer together.

I chosen a laptop because portability is important to me and I don't mind throwing another $400-$500 for that portability. Its all on personal preference.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:29:12 AM »
yea i love to build my own pc's when i can and the laptop is for a course but when i get the cash lets just say the one for modeling is a graphics powerhouse crammed into a case with hopefully a full custom water cooling loop

Offline ChronoWolf

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Brown / Caramel
  • Weight: Slim
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Shy
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »
A great alternative to Alienware, and (in my opinion) much better build and spec are the Origin PC options. You can check them out here: http://originpc.com

...I bought one a couple of years ago, and it is amazing. Use it as a video / visual effects workstation and it has not let me down. Every now and again I go over to their site and build a new fantasy build. They are always up-to-date, and from what I have found: cheaper than many other high-end DIY manufacturers.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »
again it will be for a course that i dont pay for and that is supplied another issue i face with them the cost of import tax and such because aussie customs anything over 1k means tax fees and all that plus all i really need is a good solid amount of cash and i can build a bigger and better one then any pre built system because with most they are lock on overclocking where as if i get the k series cpu its a unlocked one so i can overclock that

Offline VoodooMax

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange and White
  • Height: 5 Feet 11 Inches
  • Weight: 130 pounds
  • Build: Slender
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
I really wound't get an Alienware PC. They used to be awesome gaming PC's but when Dell bought them out, they well.. went down hill. The parts don't hold up that long and trying to get help for their customer support is a joke. They will just tell you it's your fault (but in a nicer way). I had a Dell PC before and here is my story:

I bought an Dell laptop and after about three months (no joke) it was a brick. It would take upwards of 5-10 minutes to boot up and everything ran so slow. I called Dell's customer support and they told me it was my fault because their PC's don't act that way (this is what they said to me). I told them it wasn't me and I fought with them until they decided to ship me a box so that I could ship my PC to Dell. About a week later they told me that my motherboard was snapped into. I knew they were lying because motherboards just don't break and if it did bread (which it didn't) the PC would't even turn on. I told them to ship it back and I would try to fix it seeing they had no clue how to diagnose PC problems.

They told me I would have to pay them $200 so they can ship the PC back, but they didn't do anything. All they did was lie to me and that somehow cost $200, I'll pass. I told them to keep it and I never used a Dell PC again. This was my experience and everyone will have a different experience. but I thought you would like to know. I would get an eMachines PC. They are reliable and fully upgradable!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:24:19 PM by VoodooMax »

Offline Kai

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Canine
  • Height: 5'10 when standing.
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: Slim/Athletic
  • Currently: Tired and sociable.
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
I've had a few Alienwares in my day, mostly when I was younger. Since then I've switched to using mainly Asus and MSI machines for most of what I do, and in all honesty I prefer my MSI to my fabled Alienware 17.
The gaming laptops I have currently are the Alienware 17, the MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-867, and the MSI GT80 Titan SLI.
The Titan is its own breed, but between the first two- the alienware and the MSI GE- I prefer the MSI.
Since Alienware worked their way under the Dell umbrella, the customer support is total ass (I believe that is the technical term) and the components are more and more breakable, like, better keep that thing on its own table. I was thinking about getting the new Area 51 tower, but was quickly dissuaded by peers and coworkers who'd had experience with Dell.
So I'd definitely recommend MSI or Asus over Alienware.
However, if price is an issue, it is hard to get a good MSI for under a grand, as others have said. Asus makes some good gaming laptops for a tighter budget, in my experience.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »
yea im going to see what a alienware is about is 2 months

wait you have the 7k 18 inch dual gpu titan  :o :o :o :o :o  (7k here in aus)

i am looking at a msi laptop tho maybe the titan just for fun and at a new desktop over time

the alienware was for a course