The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: these jokes ARE NOT funny  (Read 957 times)

Offline Angder

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Blue with white fur around The palms of the Paws
  • Build: Anthro.
Re: these jokes ARE NOT funny
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 11:12:41 PM »
Your allowed to say: "Hitler was a great man", but your also allowed to say: "the guy who just said that is a HUGE ASSHAT, and a PRICK!"

I think that's what grovy is saying
  • Avatar by: A friend of mine IRL.
Angders weapons: Blizz - Burning Frost
Retired weapons: Blizz Tempest

All weapons were drawn by Zarc.

Please note that I have very little free time on Fridays.

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Species: Wolf Angel
  • Coloring: Dirty Purple / Grey
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: AT FIELD MAX POWER
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »
Grovy and I are on the exact same page, so I don't understand why he has a problem with what I just said.

My point about the dude with the megaphone was that you shouldn't be allowed to subject people to your ideas. If you are going to voice yourself, then people need to have the option to not listen to you, and if you're going into a public place and disturbing the peace, then you are impeding upon others' ability to enjoy themselves. That's all I was saying.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:18:59 PM by Teiko »
  • Signature art by: Teiko

Offline Grovygrunge

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • I am just some guy. That's 'bout it
    • Awards
  • Coloring: White and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Currently: Being current.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 11:17:46 PM »
I was just pointing out the right to free speech only protects you from the government stopping you from saying what you want. It does not stop people from telling you that you should shut up and stuff like that. It's a common misconception

(slightly pretentious, I know, I don't disagree with you though. Quite the opposite)

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Species: Wolf Angel
  • Coloring: Dirty Purple / Grey
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: AT FIELD MAX POWER
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 11:19:39 PM »
I never said you can't tell someone to shut up.
  • Signature art by: Teiko

Offline Grovygrunge

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • I am just some guy. That's 'bout it
    • Awards
  • Coloring: White and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Currently: Being current.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 11:22:49 PM »
Then I hugely misinterpreted. Yup read it back, dunno what the heck I'm on about. XD All I can say is that I apologise, I am cureently beyond tired so I'm not thinking as straight as usual. Now more than a little embarrassed :$ 

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
Comedy is an important coping mechanism.  There should be NO topic which is beyond comedy.  I've heard jokes about the Holocaust told be Jews which are hilarious.  If you have no taste for gallows humour that's fine, it just means you are not the intended audience.

Watching comedians talk about this very topic, the main thing seems to be if you're gonna go there, it better be funny.  Just doing a topical joke on some recent disaster for being topical's sake is in poor taste.

One standup said you know it's a good joke on a touchy subject when the audience is appalled but can't help themselves laughing.  The whole crowd cover their mouths with their hands.

As for 9/11 and the Holocaust specifically, sorry Red, but it's really not too soon.  In fact, specifically for 9/11, yes it was bad by the standard of what we experience in the fairly cosy first world, but an equivalent act in Palestine doesn't even make the news.  For how many years was even suggesting anything other than "it's the worst things to ever happen anywhere ever" tantamount to unpatriotic treason?  If not for humour blazing the trail, serious discourse about it would have been harder if not impossible.

Everyone copes differently.  I've had three parents die of cancer.  It sucks.  But I make jokes about cancer when a good opportunity arises, because that's how I overcome tragedy.  Do I have the right to do that?

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »
IMO people are gonna make jokes. And if you're gonna be on the internet or in society in general you're  gonna have to  deal with that. They don't mean anything by it. Don't take it to heart.
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 05:57:03 AM »
Life is rife with opportunities to laugh at horrible things.
It's human nature to make light of tragedy.
That's just how it is.
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »
Honestly, jokes about dying humans don't bother me as much because I see a LOT more people take them seriously and get upset over them than I do otherwise. But animal cruelty joke? I despise them, and I despise the mindset that "Oh, they're not human/They aren't as smart as us/etc." makes it perfectly okay to make "Meat is tasty murder" jokes or other similar jokes. Personally, I think it's disgusting.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
But you are human... o3o
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 04:34:28 PM »
But you are human... o3o

But at least with dying human jokes, most people generally see the seriousness in situations people are trying to make light of, so they take them more seriously. Plus, I'm sick of this stupid rule that I have to have more sympathy and be more insulted by human death jokes just because I am human.

Offline Ryan Naismith

• Kuddly Kitten
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • Hope, however desperate, is never without merit
  • Species: Coyote! Canis Latrans (best canine)
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 71 kilograms
  • Build: Toned
  • Currently: BACK
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »
really, why should I care if they're cruel? of course I don't get behind wanton violence, but I do heartily believe in the ability to laugh at horrible things. it's a coping mechanism.
and honestly I think you believe that to make yourself feel like you're above them. THAT is also human nature. we're disgusted at things people do because it makes us feel better about ourselves. Rich people think they're better than poor people because they have no class, and vice versa because the rich people likely haven't lifted a finger to ever do work themselves.people who don't think they're any better than someone else are typically depressed, defeatist, and sad.
So, I assume that us feeling better than someone else is a vital part of our self esteem.
((extremely sorry for the rant XP also sorry if it didn't make much sense either. i need mooore sleeep

FDF forever!

To judge from the notions expounded by theologians, one must conclude that God created most men simply with a view to crowding hell.
-Marquis de Sade
The way is lit. The path is clear.
We require only the strength to follow it.

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »
"It's nice that we can laugh at all this at least"
~My grandma a couple hours after having been in an accident that left her crippled for several months.