The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Der Steppenwolf, by Herman Hesse  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Rocket

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Rock it for me
    • Awards
  • Species: Kitsune (Urocyon Versipellis)
  • Coloring: Rusty red, ash gray, soot black, and white (gray fox)
  • Height: 6' 3"
  • Weight: 150 lb.
  • Build: average build; larger than average tails (3)
  • Currently: pensive
Der Steppenwolf, by Herman Hesse
« on: January 16, 2015, 04:24:04 AM »
For those of you interested in furry/therian literature, here's a bone for you.

I am in truth the Steppenwolf that I often call myself; that beast astray that finds neither home nor joy nor nourishment in a world that is strange and incomprehensible to him.

Der Steppenwolf, written by 19th Century German author Herman Hesse, is a highly spiritual, somewhat melancholic novel about a man named Harry Haller who is torn between the contended life of the bourgeoisie, and the lonely, visceral existence of the Steppenwolf (literally "wolf of the steppes"), personally identifying as both a man and a wolf.

This, although the significance is entirely symbolic, was of interest to me, because it seems to be very relatable to those who consider themselves therians, otherkin, or spiritually linked, in some way or another, to an animal. I haven't read it in a while, but would recommend it on Hesse's congenial style alone. I'm probably going to have to re-read it after writing this!
We'll see creation come undone,
These bones that bound us will be gone.
We'll stir our spirits 'til we're one,
then soft as shadows we'll become.