The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ubuntu on a USB stick?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline lynnkitty

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Black
Ubuntu on a USB stick?
« on: December 24, 2014, 02:54:48 PM »
I remember having a program that allowed a person to install a working copy of Ubuntu on a USB stick, but I can't find it. :/  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  My friend gave me their computer to fix, but they are having a hard drive error, and I can't fix that.  lol  I figured I'd at least give them something so they could at least use their compy to access a web browser.  Thanks in advance for the help!

EDIT: I found the program I was looking for!  It's UNetBootin!  http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:13:23 AM by lynnkitty »

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 10 Most Online
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
Re: Ubuntu on a USB stick?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »
best thing i would recomend is whats called a low level format basically making the hard drive like new destroying everything that was on it or a new hard drive and setting that one up
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Online Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
best thing i would recomend is whats called a low level format basically making the hard drive like new destroying everything that was on it or a new hard drive and setting that one up
What are you even talking about? Lynn mentioned hard drive errors and you suggest erasing all potentially recoverable data from it?..

@Lynn, I think this is what you're looking for: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 10 Most Online
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 08:22:11 PM »
timmy yea bad sectors low level formatting removes those by writing 0's to them ive had to do it before and it fixed it even seagate recomends it

Why would I want to Zero Fill my drive?
[/size]The most common reasons to Zero Fill a SATA or ATA (IDE) hard drive are:[/size]to remove a virus that cannot be removed without destroying the boot sector.
  • to change from one operating system to another and wish to remove everything from the drive.
  • to erase confidential information for privacy reasons.
  • to scan for bad sectors that can be detected and replaced with good spare sectors when writing to the sectors.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:24:28 PM by saph the sergal »
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »
Considering that there are OS's that are less than 20GB, I am not surprised at this. I have seen 64GB USB sticks (of which I own one personally), so I'd say it is able to be pulled off.

Online Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 11:22:52 PM »
Snip
But that assumes the lower sectors are the problem. You do not know what's wrong with it and the drive may not even be functioning for all you know or it may even just something simple such as a broken file making it not wanting to boot. It doesn't matter if Seagate recommends it or not, what you're suggesting is basically the same thing as replacing a non-functional engine in a car instead of even trying to fix it. It's a very case-specific solution that should be done only once you're certain it's the solution required to fix your drive. And for the record, to maintain drive health you usually don't need to low-level format it either unless it's already so broken it's probably time to buy a new one anyway as a lot of the things it does to the drive is already done automatically as part of the regular defragmentation process (something which is done by the operating system (Win 7 and up at least) automatically in the background.

The question, either way, was about installing Ubuntu on a USB stick. Then once that's done I would suggest trying to access any of the data on the drive from there and see if anything can be saved/recovered before permanently deleting everything.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 01:30:43 AM »
This is actually how I recover data from anything. Ubuntu seems to have a knack for reading corrupted drives. It also can be installed on something as small as a 4GB flash drive following the link timmy first sent. Ubuntu is only really about 800MB
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline lynnkitty

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Black
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 07:12:16 AM »
For what it's worth, I found the program I was looking for.  ^_^   Thanks for the help, everyone!