The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How to deal with my uncle  (Read 386 times)

Offline Pyrolife8

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
How to deal with my uncle
« on: December 07, 2014, 02:04:56 AM »
Hello,The  Furry Forums.

where to do I begin?

So, today I have notice that water was leaking on bathroom sink. Therefore, My uncle decide to get a new faucet.

Once we are installing the whole thing, we got into argument to keep the most part or change all of parts.

he argue that I should do it his way because he got more experience and have seniority and kept saying he is trying to make my job easier...

However, old piece with new piece did not work together as their measurement was slightly different and the new pivot rod that came with the new faucet was very loose  on the

old faucets pop-up unit (where pivot rod inserts).

From there he refused to listen to me as why I am doing this and keep talk over me and came up with all kinds of reasons why he was right and he kind of hint at me that I should do it his way or I will be kicked out of the house.

So... how can I get it through his head that my decision to do things are based on logic (in this case) and

not being "young generation do whatever they feel as they see fit" approach as my uncle put it?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:06:36 AM by Pyrolife8 »

Offline Hycanith

• Boisterous Bear
  • Shhhh....
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat-Fox!
  • Coloring: Like that! ^
  • Height: Tall.
  • Weight: 130 lbs.
  • Build: Slim.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: That spring clean.
Re: How to deal with my uncle
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 02:10:01 AM »
Well, a very good way to argue this is to keep a cool head. Be able to argue his opinion better than him, and list reasons why your argument is better (in this case more practical) that his. Keep in mind that he probably has your best interests in mind (you said he wanted to make your job easier), and he may offer some valid reasons. Perhaps you can work out a compromise.

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:28:41 AM »
Do it his way. When it breaks, you do it your way.  :)
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »

I have to admit I like this advice.  I might even tell him that you will do it his way and when it breaks you will say I told you so.  Then say I told you so.

It's not diplomatic but it does mean he can't turn around and say "well you thought it was a good idea to do it my way".

Advice option two: there is no dealing with stubborn old people, get out!  GET OUT NOW!!! D=

Offline Pyrolife8

• Vibrating Furby
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 06:29:26 PM »

I have to admit I like this advice.  I might even tell him that you will do it his way and when it breaks you will say I told you so.  Then say I told you so.

It's not diplomatic but it does mean he can't turn around and say "well you thought it was a good idea to do it my way".

Advice option two: there is no dealing with stubborn old people, get out!  GET OUT NOW!!! D=

I've had a similar issued since I posted this and best way is to say "yes" to him and when he's not looking just do it my way if I think it will work better...  :D