The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fursuiting "Personality" Help  (Read 951 times)

Offline Zeman

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Husky
  • Coloring: Grey Primary with White Secondary
Fursuiting "Personality" Help
« on: August 17, 2014, 06:25:48 AM »
Hey guys, I'd really like to get into fursuiting, but I have a problem. Many people say that, when fursuiting, you need to "bring the character to life," but my fursona isn't vastly different in terms of personality to myself. And that personality is that sometimes I do want to run around and have fun, but at other times I simply want to be calm and do "everyday" tasks like enjoy coffee without all the added performance, sometimes coffee is just coffee.

Then there are the problems of the suit itself. Number 1, I want the suit to be small enough where I can wear shorts and a t-shirt with it, but still have the suit underneath so I am free to change like normal, I understand my outfits will have to be a bigger size, but many fursuits appear simply too big for clothes. Number 2, a lot of my personality is in my eyebrows, I make many facial expressions simply through the ol' brows and I worry that I won't be able to translate the same personality into a fursuit since my brows will be covered, I am thinking of learning animetronics to give my eyebrows life in the suit, but a simpler solution would be nice. Finally, I speak a lot, not a lot of unnecessary jabber, but I do have a habit of going on rants, telling jokes, and overall being social, not on a deep level, but small talk. It's my understanding that fursuiters are supposed to be mute with those they interact with to preserve the character, and my question is are there exceptions to this rule? Is there a way I could design a suit that it would be considered "acceptable" at least on some level to communicate with other people, more specifically, non furs?

Thanks for any help given!

Offline Byracka

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a positive bastard (sugar)
    • Awards
  • Currently: Imma murr!
Re: Fursuiting "Personality" Help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »

Why are you assuming that bringing a character to life means to be hyperactive and jolly?

What is meant by bringing the character to life? I think it is to exaggerate, pull forth and be consistent with the personality of that character. It should not mean that you have to be hyperactive and jolly, it should mean that you portray your own character, how ever it may act. To have the confidence to decide on your own what you will be and what you will do.

Think about why you are worrying about your characters personality in the first place. Why is it stopping you from fur-suiting?

There are much bigger cloth sizes than your fursuit. If it really happens to be a tight fit then there should be custom stores that sells any number of XX... sizes. 

Animatronics  is Really! not my field of expertise so I don't feel comfortable making any statement, the internet is a big place I am positive there are people and documents with information if you search.  :)

Fursuiters are not 'supposed' to be anything. Mute, speaking, squeaking, laughing, grinning, you choose! I don't understand why and where you get that there are rules and exceptions, supposed too's and acceptable's. Just don't do anything that would be criminal or offensive in normal everyday life. Common sense and laws applies all the time both in and out of suit. Other than that, you be the character you want to be, you should not need a thumbs up from anyone else or strive to make your suit "acceptable" by the standard of some "supposed to" that does not exist.

Who are you afraid wouldn't accept your character? Why would it matter? Please be confident with your character and yourself. I have worried a lot about such things and it have never made me progress or feel happiness.

I do not bite unless you want to! So send a PM if there's anything you want to say :3

Backscratch