Author Topic: Gender Identity Poll  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
Re: Gender Identity Poll
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:14 AM »
I was actually the first voter in the poll, and I had a response, but I messed up and erased it. Oops.

But yeah, I am 100% cis, through and through. I feel best identifying as what my physical sex is, but I certainly don't conform to society's definition of a "man." I do what I want, and if I want to lose my mind at how adorable a bunny is or nearly cry because of Pokémon: Symphonic Evolutions, I will do it. There are so many diverse identities in the world; it's really awesome.

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Hi there! I'm Jack the lion. L=
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Jack's World of Wonder (tumblr)
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: Golden-brown fur and darker brown mane
  • Height: About 4 foot on four paws and 6 foot on two paws
  • Build: Relatively slim
  • Currently: I'm doing pretty well. How are you?
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 06:52:49 AM »
I was actually the first voter in the poll, and I had a response, but I messed up and erased it. Oops.

But yeah, I am 100% cis, through and through. I feel best identifying as what my physical sex is, but I certainly don't conform to society's definition of a "man." I do what I want, and if I want to lose my mind at how adorable a bunny is or nearly cry because of Pokémon: Symphonic Evolutions, I will do it. There are so many diverse identities in the world; it's really awesome.

There's no right or wrong way to express the gender(s) you identify with (if any). That's the beautiful thing about gender identity. L=
  • Signature art by: The first little icon of Jack is by glitch on FA and the second is by tropicaltiger on FA.

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 07:05:38 AM »
There's no right or wrong way to express the gender(s) you identify with (if any). That's the beautiful thing about gender identity. L=

Oh, I know, but in this time of transition, we still have people who tell me that I'm not a "real man" because I am adamant on emotional expression and things like the aforementioned post made note of. I used to listen to them and was ashamed of myself for not being "manly," but then I grew up and started following this philosophy: "If it feels good and doesn't bring harm to anyone, do it and let nobody stop you."

Offline Cyril_Vaspasien

• Vibrating Furby
  • I've had dreams worst than this.
    • My tumblr
    • Awards
  • Species: Deer
  • Coloring: Brown-ish with red hair
  • Build: A little extra.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Eating oreos and sleeping late.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »
 we still have people who tell me that I'm not a "real man" because I am adamant on emotional expression and things like the aforementioned post made note of. I used to listen to them and was ashamed of myself for not being "manly," but then I grew up and started following this philosophy: "If it feels good and doesn't bring harm to anyone, do it and let nobody stop you."
Society likes to think, for some reason, that a man it's not only a person with a penis, it also has to be strong, serious, tough, rude, violent, it must feel as few pain as possible and has to always hit back. Of course, this idea of man (this idea of human being) is super duper wrong and does no good. It raises kids who think that being violent is natural and when they're not it makes them feel wrong. I'm sorry you ever felt not "manly" enough u_u
[size=85]
"I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: but he who is not afraid of my darkness, will find banks full of roses under my cypresses."
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Lacrymosa

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 10:56:55 PM »
Stereotypes can also cause a lot of stress as soon as people can't reach its standards or don't want to. 

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 01:40:11 AM »
I couldn't agree wit you more. Yet they're SO ingrained in our culture that most people don't even realize that things are stereotypes. They think they're facts of life and/or don't even understand that society puts pressure on people to fit certain rules.

This actually stems out of human nature and development. Children 5 years old and younger are information sponges and look to adults to learn the rules of the world around them (the rules of language, societal norms for right and wrong, etc.). Among the many things they learn from adults is how people interact with each other. The reason that gender stereotypes persist is because so many people have been completely unaware that they are societally determined and have inadvertently perpetuated them through their children.

If we're ever going to get rid of gender stereotypes, we need to be simultaneously raising children in environments free of gender stereotypes and educating adults about the reality and severity of trying to  cram people's gender identities into one of two boxes.
  • Signature art by: The first little icon of Jack is by glitch on FA and the second is by tropicaltiger on FA.

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • Self proclaimed AK god for the next hour or so.
    • Awards
  • Species: SeaWolf
  • Coloring: Gray with white skull
  • Height: 5'11/180cm
  • Weight: Wouldn't you like to know?
  • Currently: Holy applesauce I still exist here.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 01:53:37 AM »
I couldn't agree wit you more. Yet they're SO ingrained in our culture that most people don't even realize that things are stereotypes. They think they're facts of life and/or don't even understand that society puts pressure on people to fit certain rules.

This actually stems out of human nature and development. Children 5 years old and younger are information sponges and look to adults to learn the rules of the world around them (the rules of language, societal norms for right and wrong, etc.). Among the many things they learn from adults is how people interact with each other. The reason that gender stereotypes persist is because so many people have been completely unaware that they are societally determined and have inadvertently perpetuated them through their children.

If we're ever going to get rid of gender stereotypes, we need to be simultaneously raising children in environments free of gender stereotypes and educating adults about the reality and severity of trying to  cram people's gender identities into one of two boxes.

Society sucks. I'm a bit gender fluid I guess. Still finding out more and more about myself as time goes on! But really. Does it matter to anyone else who we are? I'm not changing me, and that's a good thing. You'd think others would be happy about you being truthful about yourself, but in reality, they decide it's only fine to conform. It may seem a bit extreme,  but think about it. You should be truthful, THE WAY SOCIETY BASES THESE TRUTHS. I say no. I'm a Genderfluid, bisexual, person loving, self risking (see my fun facts about me post, about me being a future Corpsman/medic in the U.S.N.), future Navy Corpsman. DEAL WITH IT SOCIETY.
  • Avatar by: Not me, that's for sure.
In the depths lies the thing that should not be.

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 02:31:20 AM »
Society sucks. I'm a bit gender fluid I guess. Still finding out more and more about myself as time goes on! But really. Does it matter to anyone else who we are? I'm not changing me, and that's a good thing. You'd think others would be happy about you being truthful about yourself, but in reality, they decide it's only fine to conform. It may seem a bit extreme,  but think about it. You should be truthful, THE WAY SOCIETY BASES THESE TRUTHS. I say no. I'm a Genderfluid, bisexual, person loving, self risking (see my fun facts about me post, about me being a future Corpsman/medic in the U.S.N.), future Navy Corpsman. DEAL WITH IT SOCIETY.

I would say that society needs to be restructured, people educated, and ideas changed. That can only really be done if we can approach those who do not understand with a peaceful, casual air so they will hear us out. Fire only breeds fire and that will only bring destruction and chaos.

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 02:34:50 AM »

I would say that society needs to be restructured, people educated, and ideas changed. That can only really be done if we can approach those who do not understand with a peaceful, casual air so they will hear us out. Fire only breeds fire and that will only bring destruction and chaos.

I guess I'm a bit more headstrong, but I agree as well. The compromise really is confidence. People like that. If you're confident, they will see that, and then we are more accepted, even without our cause known.

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 02:40:31 AM »

I guess I'm a bit more headstrong, but I agree as well. The compromise really is confidence. People like that. If you're confident, they will see that, and then we are more accepted, even without our cause known.

Very true. L=

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 02:41:58 AM »
This is definitely one of the more sophisticated discussions. X3  I enjoy it, really. :3

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 02:46:47 AM »
This is definitely one of the more sophisticated discussions. X3  I enjoy it, really. :3

Wonderful things happen when people make up their minds to be civilized. XD

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 02:49:42 AM »
Hooyah. I call it using our brains. People often act more on emotion, or instinct (taught or untaught).

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 06:48:40 AM »
So, now I am not trying to offend anyone here, but I just have some questions for the non-cis identifying furs on this thread! These questions are based to gain knowledge and not to offend.

So, we talk about gender roles in our society, the Male and the Female, and we talk about how it is society that contributes to these gender stereotypes, men being muscle bound and tough and women being weak and "girly". Now my question is what exactly does a transgender, bi-gender or genderfluid person identify as in terms of what they see the opposite gender being? How would a transgender person define gender? How does a male transgender person, for example, identify what "girl" means to her, does she focus on the body of the girl, the sexual organs and so forth? Does she focus on the cultural inclination of the girl?

Because to me it creates a confusing contradiction, that if gender roles are psychological and society based, then transgenderism (in the psychological aspect) must also then be psychological and society based (If this were true transgenderism would be as changeable as social gender roles), otherwise if transgenderism is biologically based, then gender roles must also be biological based. I've concluded that both gender roles and transgenderism must be BOTH biologically AND psychological, but I want to know a non-cisgenders opinion on the matter.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:50:11 AM by anoni »
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 07:18:36 AM »
So, now I am not trying to offend anyone here, but I just have some questions for the non-cis identifying furs on this thread! These questions are based to gain knowledge and not to offend.

So, we talk about gender roles in our society, the Male and the Female, and we talk about how it is society that contributes to these gender stereotypes, men being muscle bound and tough and women being weak and "girly". Now my question is what exactly does a transgender, bi-gender or genderfluid person identify as in terms of what they see the opposite gender being? How would a transgender person define gender? How does a male transgender person, for example, identify what "girl" means to her, does she focus on the body of the girl, the sexual organs and so forth? Does she focus on the cultural inclination of the girl?

Because to me it creates a confusing contradiction, that if gender roles are psychological and society based, then transgenderism (in the psychological aspect) must also then be psychological and society based (If this were true transgenderism would be as changeable as social gender roles), otherwise if transgenderism is biologically based, then gender roles must also be biological based. I've concluded that both gender roles and transgenderism must be BOTH biologically AND psychological, but I want to know a non-cisgenders opinion on the matter.

I think it mostly comes down to how each person's brain is wired and what the culturally defined gender roles are. Male and female brains actually work differently, in general, as a result of their different composition. Female brains tend to contain more grey matter (which helps with things like information processing and verbal skills) whereas male brains tend to contain more white matter (which helps with things like navigation and spacial reasoning). These differences can lead to differences in interest and skill (due to the fact that different things will come easier to different people).

In this sense, there are certain elements of gender that are at least partially biological. However, the common gender stereotypes are largely constructed.

When sorting out their gender identities, people often think about what feels right to them and weigh it against what society defines as "masculine" and "feminine." People will identify with these categories to varying degrees.

Ultimately, I don't think we can peg it down to one thing or another. What I was talking about earlier was taking away the pressure to be strictly "masculine" or "feminine" and the idea that there is only one way to express any specific gender.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:49:15 AM by Jack Lionheart »