The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mech RP?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
Re: Mech RP?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 01:58:48 AM »
I LOVE and grew up on mech anime, but from my polls in the last 2 years has proven very low on interest on the subject.

Offline Silverwind Blade

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Arvaran Solar Ranger
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pegasus
  • Coloring: Dark Grey fur, blue mane and tail.
  • Height: 6' 5"
  • Build: Rugged, but athletic. Relatively muscular.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
I'd say that there's a bit too much disparity between the smallest and largest classes in the number of hardpoints, but that again depends on the 'feel' you want to go for in the setting. Are mechs going to be the 'king of everything' on the battlefield and be gargantuan machines bristling with firepower and armour, or are they part of a combined force?

Personally, I'm much more interested in the second approach
A Sound Like Distant Thunder...
USS Starfire - Star Trek based sci-fi action roleplay.

Offline Rayleonarde

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Chased by the fires of passion
    • Awards
  • Species: Raccoon
  • Coloring: Royal purple, save for two teardrop shaped gray patches on his chin, which runs to his collarbone, and the lower part of his abdomen.
  • Height: Varies
  • Weight: Varies
  • Build: Lanky
  • Currently: Pretty happy.
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
Of course, we wouldn't want the mechs to be the only fighters on the field.  Tanks, infantry, and air support all hold places in the battle.  Mechs, because of the way they're built, have a very limited vertical scanning capability.  The larger mechs can compensate with automated AA guns, but that leaves weapons unable to hit ground forces, which would be the main focus of mechs.  I see the mechs kind of like the Supreme Commander mechs, but more customizable.  So really, more like ACU's.  However, there are custom mechs that rule at what they do, specialized for a specific role (i.e AA mechs, or artillery mechs.  I really would like to see how well a King Kryptor would work in player hands.)  They'd still be bristling with firepower, but they can't hit units below a certain angle, as the mechs would hit they're own legs.  Mechs would kinda have to utilize World War II style protection,  smaller vehicles and infantry would support them as they move across the battlefield. 

This is what I'd like to see, but if you have suggestions, as before, put them down.

The disparity is there so their are substantial trade-offs for each class.  This keeps, I believe, the game more diverse.  If you disagree, go ahead and make another chart.  I don't mean that as a threat, or a challenge, I just would like to see what others think the scale should be.

(Another miscellaneous weapon could be the Universal Collosus's Gravity cannons.  These pull small units in, and launch them back towards their allies, essentially turning small enemies into munitions.)

Offline Silverwind Blade

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Arvaran Solar Ranger
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »
I think this is being gone about the wrong way. The setting should come first, and then dictate the type and feel of the mechs. Otherwise, you're creating something in a vacuum. Without knowing what the tech level of the setting is, it's hard to know what the mechs should be like, what kind of forces would be around, and so on and so forth. If the setting is primarily in space, then will there be many vehicles around, if you have to carry them on starships, for example?

I'd concentrate on the setting first, and make it consistent and understandable, to give everything a basis and a background, before you start deciding what the mechs should be like. Because otherwise they're pretty meaningless.

Unless you just want to have mecha punching dents in each other (not literally speaking), in which case you might as well just start a fun RP, rather than a serious one, and just go nuts with a series of fights linked by a vague story.

Offline Rayleonarde

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Royal purple, save for two teardrop shaped gray patches on his chin, which runs to his collarbone, and the lower part of his abdomen.
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 01:35:58 AM »
Okay, setting then.  3000 AD, galaxy's in chaos/throes of war, etc.?

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • I'm not a bad man.....I just do things bad men do.
    • Awards
  • Species: Spider
  • Coloring: Black with red patterning
  • Height: 10 foot
  • Currently: silently watching
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 03:19:30 AM »
one playable side or two? and would there will be a mix of both ground and space combat?
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline Rayleonarde

• Melodious Mouse
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 03:23:23 AM »
I was kind of hoping for more mercenary style works...and yeah, ground and space...they're giant robots, after all.

Offline Silverwind Blade

• Avid Aardvark
  • Arvaran Solar Ranger
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 09:44:15 AM »
Honestly, I feel the Mercenary thing is way overdone. Almost every RP I see is 'look, mercenaries'. It'd be more original to not be mercenaries. But whatever, really. Kind of losing interest really.

Offline Rayleonarde

• Melodious Mouse
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
Alright, no mercs then.  What about factions?  Like, different countries?

Offline Silverwind Blade

• Avid Aardvark
  • Arvaran Solar Ranger
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15:26 AM »
How about rather than a whole galaxy, if it's the year 3000, the setting being the Solar System.
The energy crisis of the mid 21st century could've come to an end with the production of the worlds' first viable fusion reactor in the late 2060's. This resulted in a race of space exploration as greater resources of Helium-3 were required to sustain fusion reactions.
As space was increasingly explored, humanity developed genetically engineered 'assistant' workers to assist with space exploration and working in hostile environments. Alongside this the development of exoskeletons for use in space and heavy environments was undertaken, with breakthroughs in materials science allowing for high strength, light-weight materials, such as carbon-carbon steel, and nanotube materials.

This golden age lasted for a while as exploration flourished, with many new settlements being established on moons, asteroids, in orbit of planets and even on the surface of worlds under pressure domes. Terraforming efforts are being started on Mars, and some of the lowest-lying canyons have persistent atmosphere which can be inhabited only with thick clothing and respirator masks, rather than full pressure suits.
In orbit of other planets, numerous space installations and colonies exist.

Things are growing strained, however, as numerous activist groups have formed for the rights of the 'servant' races, who have become recognized and free citizens in the worlds around Jupiter, otherwise known as the Jovian Confederation.
They have proved their own sentience and sapience on numerous occasions have demanded that their people be freed and the outlying worlds and settlements. This has lead to an undercurrent of dissatisfaction and aggression among the population of genetically engineered persons (GE's, or 'Gennies') throughout the solar system.
The colonies, forming their own way of doing things and working to their own schedules and independent routines to suit their populations,  are looking to become self-governing and independent from an increasingly over-populated and militaristic Earth, which seeks to influence and control policies and the way of life on its' outer settlements.

With Mars reaching a level of habitable and self-sustaining life, it is the focus of eyes all across the system, as both the Earth Government and the Jovian Confederation build up their forces around the area, including the newly built and designed combat frames, due to see their first true mass deployment on and around the surface of Mars, and potentially further.
All it will take is one incident to light the powder keg, and topple a tense situation of minor quiet sirmishes into full-blown war...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:08:24 PM by SilverwindBlade »

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • I'm not a bad man.....I just do things bad men do.
    • Awards
  • Species: Spider
  • Coloring: Black with red patterning
  • Height: 10 foot
  • Currently: silently watching
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
sounds like a good place to start
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
so basically similar to Gundam, right?

Offline Silverwind Blade

• Avid Aardvark
  • Arvaran Solar Ranger
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
Yes, but with more emphasis on the other planets than solely on Earth orbit. And potentially more groups based on the different planets as nations, backing one group or the other, so a lot more potential for political issues. Not to mention more detail based around the struggle to liberate the oppressed Gennys as well. So, maybe with shades of (for those of you old enough to remember) Exo Squad or Space: Above and Beyond as well.

Offline Silverwind Blade

• Avid Aardvark
  • Arvaran Solar Ranger
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
Well, no one has really replied with any enthusiasm or further discussion to this - so, I'm going to set up a Companion Thread in Serious RP, and post the link here. If anyone's interested, take a look and post and such. If not, it'll die off on it's own.

Post Merge: May 12, 2014, 06:18:26 PM
Here we go... It's quite detailed, so I expect most of you won't really be interested, and it won't go anywhere.

http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=24823.0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:18:26 PM by SilverwindBlade, Reason: Merged DoublePost »