The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Should I Hide It?  (Read 916 times)

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
Re: Advice: Should I Hide It?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 11:30:07 PM »
Well, at the age of 14 if somebody asks me if I am a furry, or if I am gay, I would not say the truth because it would ruin my school life... :S

I've been honest about this kinda stuff since I discovered it, which was in late middle school. :P It didn't ruin my school life.

In fact, I've been really lucky socially. XD

(Whatever suits you is fine though. You're not me, I dunno what it's like being you.)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28:59 AM »
BillyBobJoeGeorge has a very good point.

The key of not making something a big deal is to not make it a big deal yourself :3
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Back!
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
When you get right down to it, I think one of the most important things in the world is to be honest with yourself and with others about who you are. While it's appropriate to behave in certain ways to fit specific situations (i.e., acting in a specific manner when in class or at work as opposed to how you act around your best friends), you should never pretend to be someone or something you're not. It's true that some people (or even a lot of people) might not like what they see, you'll attract the people who will truly love you for who you are.

I'm speaking from personal experience, of course. With regard to being a furry, I'm quite open about it with my close friends. I don't make a huge deal about it of course, but I'll make the occasional furry-related joke or reference in front of them. Usually they'll laugh, or think it's cute, or just have a neutral reaction, which I don't mind at all.

There was one person, though, who was genuinely disturbed by the fact that I was a furry. They actually confronted me about it and asked me what species I identify as. I said human, to which they replied, "Ok. If you had said fox, then we would have had a big problem." (at the time, my fursona was a fox) The short version of the conversation that followed is this: I told them that even if I did want to identify as a fox, that's my own choice, since for many people, that sort of thing (therianthropy) is a serious spiritual matter. And if they couldn't accept that, then I have a big problem with them. The person refused to accept it or try to understand, so I cut them out of my life for good.

Basically, my opinion is this: hold onto the people who love and accept you for who you are, and just forget about the ones that don't. They're not worth your time or energy.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »
Basically, my opinion is this: hold onto the people who love and accept you for who you are, and just forget about the ones that don't. They're not worth your time or energy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

I can't emphasize enough how much that is right.

Offline NekoPrincessAmaya

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Meow, yarn is the best.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bombay cat
  • Coloring: dark black fur. blue eyes,
  • Height: 5'5
  • Weight: 106lb
  • Build: skinny
  • Currently: depressed wishing i could disappear and never exist, or get amenisa
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »
i dont think you should hide it, i myself ide myself when i was younger and it just made depressed sad. I learnt the hard way that hiding is bad.
Meow, give me yarn or a fish and i'll be your friend for life.