The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: computer is weird  (Read 1115 times)

Offline mindcrasherTheFox

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • :) happy face
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: fur is orange and underside is white
computer is weird
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:53:31 AM »
Like the other day i was on my computer and a zombie popped on my screen it said "I want brains or ***" it was scary it made a weird moaning sound D: please help me I think I might be infected with a virus what should I do im worried about if my passwords might get stolen D: should I go ahead and reinstall windows or or what is the best anti virus i can get that could remove it i tried to look up the virus to help me remove it but nothing worked
profile picture: kittenScientist

Offline Delete me

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Re: computer is weird
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:03:31 PM »
If there isn't anything too valuable on your computers hard drive I would go ahead and reinstall.  If there is I would recommend getting an external HDD or USB thumb drive and putting it on that.  At this point an antivirus might be blocked from being installed, so I would say wipe the HDD.  You should also change all passwords of ALL accounts, because it is possible that this is a key logger.
(DO NOT use the infected computer to change passwords, and make sure you change email password first.)

I have had many accounts stolen by icky viruses so take this seriously, you could lose an account or worse, a lot of money.

Recommended antivirus software for once you reinstall is Avast.  It does the job just fine and it is free. 

Good luck
(Edit: also make sure that this a virus and not some sick joke your friends pulled on you.   It could have just been a popup joke or something.)

Offline Snow Kittie

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Re: computer is weird
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
Sounds like you have a virus. Unless you can think of any other reason such as a friend or game- it definitely sounds like a virus.

The first thing I would do is start backing up your data onto an external drive.

While that is sitting and doing its thing I would then go on another computer and change all of your passwords- starting with email like Muffinsz said.

Do not plug the backup drive into another computer that does not have anitvirus. The virus could carry over. The first thing you should do when plugging it in to another computer is scan it using antivirus.

Next I would attempt to download antivirus onto the infected computer. If it's not possible I would download it using a different computer, put it on a flash drive or disk and then transfer it or run it on the infected computer.