The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Scaring the children!  (Read 343 times)

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Awards
Scaring the children!
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure I left a topic about this years ago, but I feel I should bring it back. I have a little more to say on it, plus there are newbies here who may be interested in reading.

About eight years ago (holy shit, eight years ago already?! X_x; ) I was with my friends during Halloween. I was dressed as a demon black cat. Now, Halloween is my favorite holiday, and when I dress up as something, I'm not just dressed up and chilling out, munching on candy, and having usual chats with friends. I roleplay. I get into character. I make up a personality for that character, act and talk like them, and bring up topics that character might discuss.

My friends and I were all doing this. Walking around, discussing things like our characters would. And keep in mind that this is right before trick-or-treating started, and it was still light outside. In my demonic cat tone, I ranted about how lame Halloween is these days. How kids just dress up as princesses and Spiderman, and people are more concerned with candy and cuteness rather than the thrill of fear. Conveniently, a little girl and her parents walked by us as I was talking. This little girl was dressed as a witch (which is a nice change), and she wasn't terribly young. I'd say she was at least four or five years old.  We passed them at the perfect time for me to turn to her in a roaring-monster pose and say, "we should be scaring the children!"

Immediately the mother screamed at me. The child was fine. She wasn't upset, she wasn't crying. In fact, she seemed surprised and a bit amused, but her mother was furious. I ignored it the best I could. I eventually got over it, went about our trick-or-treating. An hour or so later, we were waiting at a house where the woman showed up and noticed me in the dark. I heard her voice behind me.
"Don't you dare scare my child again!"

That ruined my night. It really did. I also feel bad for that poor kid whose parent is horribly paranoid and over-sheltering. And I was just a kid in terrible cat makeup who simply did a "roar" pose and said something in a somewhat raised voice. I can't imagine what she did to anyone who actually TRIED to scare her kid. Did she punch em? Sue em? Good lord.

Look, parents. If you're afraid of your kid getting scared and think they'll be scarred for life, don't take them trick-or-treating. When you go out, you should EXPECT that people have set up things to scare kids. It's not bad for kids to be scared! It's exciting. It's actually fun in a Halloween environment. It's all in good fun. No one is trying to hurt your kid, they are trying to give them a good, amusing scare. Let your kid have fun, but if you're so horribly against that and don't want your kid to experience natural emotions they need to know, don't ruin it for the rest of us who understand that Halloween is for having a good, creepy, sweet-filled time.

This video by the Nostalgia Critic awesomely explains how scaring kids isn't horrible. Though he's talking about movies specifically, it still makes plenty of sense in real life Halloween stuff.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/41043-should-we-scare-the-shit-out-of-our-kids

Have any of you guys gone through similar experiences?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:13:33 AM by Evnamishko, Reason: Added stuff. »

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: Scaring the children!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
I don't remember if you wrote this in a thread or sent it in message on skype long ago, but I know I've heard this story before.

Continue to have fun every halloween and don't let overly sensitive folk bother you :P
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »
Some people don't really get the spirit of halloween, just forget about it and have fun :3
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
Guys, I'm not asking for advice. I'm giving advice. I'm also wondering if people have gone through similar experiences.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:14:11 AM by Evnamishko »

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Well that's why I said what I said, I have de-friended many people for being overly sensitive. Not going to have people censoring my life just so I can please them, which applies to this situation.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Trigahex

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »
lol and the girl was not even scared.

I hate people who bubble wrap everything.

Offline Shiothefox

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Red, upper half and arms, waist, tal and lower, maroon. White on the inside of ears, on the face, chest, and tip of the tail.
  • Height: 6'0", irl 5'11"
  • Weight: 160 lbs, irl 178 ibs
  • Currently: Alone
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 05:32:09 AM »
Honestly, if the mother would have said that to me, I would have punched here right between the eyes
People like that should not reproduce
  • Avatar by: furaffinity.net/user/crimsonmercury7192/

Offline Snow Kittie

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »
My mom is like that! XD  I don't think there will ever be a day when some parents aren't overprotective... but what can you do about it besides forget and move on.
I agree, being frightened not only keeps things interesting, but is the focus of Halloween. That is why haunted houses and what not EXIST!

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
There's over protective, then there's over protective. I run into those parents all the time.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.