The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Would like some tips  (Read 969 times)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Would like some tips
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
  So I'm planning to start an RP, it'd be a scientifically accurate and [relatively] realistic space RP that I've always kind of wanted to start. The problem is, serious RP kind of intimidates me, I see all these rules and guidelines that I need to follow and it kind of creeps me out.

I've read all the threads on the "Training Ground" but I just had some questions, and if you're willing to offer any advice about what I should do feel free to post!

1. Story: Should I have story set out? One that has a relatively loose direction, as if I know what's going to happen before it does? Or should I simply leave it open, and allow other people to modify the story and leave it in the hands of others. How much story nudging* do you think is acceptable, if any?
  2. Characters: How detailed should the characters be? I'm opting for less "show don't tell" RP methods for my RP, where the character don't say too much about their personalities or back stories initially, but elaborate on them during the RP (in case they feel a particular story could be interesting at a certain part). In which case, in the OOC thread, people would have "character profiles" that they would update anytime they add new details about their character. I see most RPs' though use a set pre-defined character and a lot of people have their characters very carefully thought out before hand, would my idea be a good idea?
  3. Seriousness: It's serious RP, of course I have to take it seriously, but how seriously? Should I work very hard to make sure that I don't do anything wrong and ruin things, or should I relax a bit and let a little lee-way?
  4. Internal Moderation: How much Moderation of the RP should I do? What do you think is the best?
  5.  Posting Order: A posting order is probably important, what is in general the best rules for a posting order?

Any more advice you can give me would be great :D

*story nudging: Subtly aiming the story into the area that you want the RP to go.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Oedipus Rex

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Here we go again.
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Mantis
  • Coloring: 50 shades of Light Green.
  • Height: 6'3"
  • Weight: 250lbs
  • Build: Solid.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Fixed my steam profile link after 3 years, lel.
Re: Would like some tips
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
Seems like an interesting idea, I'll try to help if I can.

1. In my mind, you should definitely have a set story and goal, un structured roleplays always seem to end badly in my opinion. However, accept what others may do to slightly modify that story. If somebody does something that you think may alter the overall outcome of the story, just go with it. Don't find yourself controlling every outcome, because at that point it becomes less of a roleplay and more of a book. I would watch out for anything that may greatly alter the story though. Say, you are at a space port and you want the members of your party to get on a ship so that you can begin the main bit of the story. If somebody says "Bob, being slightly drunk, accidentally pulls the release lever for the ship, dumping it into space." Here is the point where you should step in and point the party back in the right direction.

2. I also prefer to structure my CC's this way. It makes for interesting conversation between characters and generally can make the whole experience much more interesting. I think the adding to their character charts over time is a great idea, and allows people to look back on in case they forget.

3. This one is really up to the GM, It's always good to allow people to have their silly moments once in a while, it keeps the RP fun. Don't let things get out of control though. I recommend looking through some of the fun RP posts, and try to make yours as opposite of their structure as possible (to an extent of course).

4.This really ties in with 1, keep the party pointed in the right direction, but try to keep the RP from turning into a book.

5. This, is important. For the reason of if somebody is away for a while, especially in the middle of a conversation, it can get very awkward when they return. If somebody says that they are not going to be able to post for a day or two, then that's fine. just be patient and if they really want to be a part of the RP, they will keep their promise. If they don't however, or if somebody just stops posting in the RP, try sending them a message. If they still don't respond, now you skip them.
  • Avatar by: FrankLemonHeart (Thanks)
  • Signature art by: Some forum quiz thing and some individual.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Would like some tips
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:03:48 AM »
Alright thank you, this has been helpful! Still need to work out some things of course
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";