The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How to handle these haters...  (Read 356 times)

Offline Shiothefox

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Red, upper half and arms, waist, tal and lower, maroon. White on the inside of ears, on the face, chest, and tip of the tail.
  • Height: 6'0", irl 5'11"
  • Weight: 160 lbs, irl 178 ibs
  • Currently: Alone
How to handle these haters...
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:49:25 AM »
I posted a yahoo answers question asking what they thought about furries, and just look at the second answer I received!
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130927192237AAK8wGu
  • Avatar by: furaffinity.net/user/crimsonmercury7192/

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: How to handle these haters...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:54:05 AM »
  You asked peoples opinions, so they didn't do anything wrong, they just voiced their opinion.

Chances are, he is probably trolling, you asked a question that allowed people leeway to say things like that without getting to much flak. In fact, even rebutting the comment could cause you to have flak (I could kind of see people on the internet going "You asked for an opinion and as soon as you disagree with it you berate them"). Generally, by asking a question like that you've opened doors to haters, what was the primary purpose of the question anyway?

Either way, in this case the best way to deal with haters is to not put yourself in a situation where you're supplying "bait". Simply put, make sure you're talking to the right people and you have a clear purpose in mind. I don't really see the point of the question and so that's why I consider it troll bait.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
Yeah dude, people have their opinions and they're allowed to voice it. You don't have to like them or agree with them either.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:28:42 PM »
The best way to handle trolls is to simply avoid and ignore them. Even if you're just posting it second-hand, I really would appreciate it if you didn't continue to give trolls attention they don't deserve by posting multiple rant threads about it here.

I know it's not pleasant to read those kind of comments, but getting upset over it is what they want and doesn't actually solve anything. Spend your time around people who make you happy instead of letting yourself get so upset over people you don't even know.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Shiothefox

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Red, upper half and arms, waist, tal and lower, maroon. White on the inside of ears, on the face, chest, and tip of the tail.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »
Ok, I understand. I just don't get how these people have been presented with the facts, yet they continue to hate.

Offline Oedipus Rex

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Here we go again.
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Mantis
  • Coloring: 50 shades of Light Green.
  • Height: 6'3"
  • Weight: 250lbs
  • Build: Solid.
  • Currently: Fixed my steam profile link after 3 years, lel.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:54:05 PM »
Because humans are ignorant, one sided creatures. There are people, groups, religions, political parties and much, much more that have been presented with cold hard facts about a multitude of things. However when somebody believes something that they think is right they will ignore everything that people do to contradict it.
But, tis the human way.
  • Avatar by: FrankLemonHeart (Thanks)
  • Signature art by: Some forum quiz thing and some individual.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 06:56:27 AM »
Ok, I understand. I just don't get how these people have been presented with the facts, yet they continue to hate.

This can be explained with RELATIVITY. What is a fact? How can we ever know that the "Facts" are really true? Every "fact" can be contested and debated, especially when it comes to sub-cultures. So the main reason why they are presented the facts and can still hate is, to you these are facts, but to them they aren't facts. For example, saying "The furry fandom is awesome!" Or "Furries are good people who aren't sexual perverts!" May be facts for you and me, but they aren't facts to some other people, you actually have to convince these people that those proposition ARE true.

Another thing is a psychological effect called "Social Loathing" which is the observed psychological effect that occurs when large groups are put together and people are considered anonymous, such as the internet. Social Loathing is the effect that people start voiding responsibility of their actions in these large anonymous groups, essentially if they hurt you or make you upset they will feel less responsible on the internet than in real life. So because of this social loathing effect they don't really care how their actions affect you because they don't feel responsible for it.

Another effect that occurs in social compliance, if you met a hater in RL there could be many things that occur. If you were with a big group of furries and he was alone, chances are if he started saying how furries sucked he would quickly change hid mind with the massive opposition. However, if you were alone and he had a bunch of hater friends with him, chances are even if he WASN'T necessarily a hater, if his hated friends started hating he would start hating too. The actions of people around us affect us.

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Shiothefox

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 07:10:29 AM »

This can be explained with RELATIVITY. What is a fact? How can we ever know that the "Facts" are really true? Every "fact" can be contested and debated, especially when it comes to sub-cultures. So the main reason why they are presented the facts and can still hate is, to you these are facts, but to them they aren't facts. For example, saying "The furry fandom is awesome!" Or "Furries are good people who aren't sexual perverts!" May be facts for you and me, but they aren't facts to some other people, you actually have to convince these people that those proposition ARE true.

Another thing is a psychological effect called "Social Loathing" which is the observed psychological effect that occurs when large groups are put together and people are considered anonymous, such as the internet. Social Loathing is the effect that people start voiding responsibility of their actions in these large anonymous groups, essentially if they hurt you or make you upset they will feel less responsible on the internet than in real life. So because of this social loathing effect they don't really care how their actions affect you because they don't feel responsible for it.

Another effect that occurs in social compliance, if you met a hater in RL there could be many things that occur. If you were with a big group of furries and he was alone, chances are if he started saying how furries sucked he would quickly change hid mind with the massive opposition. However, if you were alone and he had a bunch of hater friends with him, chances are even if he WASN'T necessarily a hater, if his hated friends started hating he would start hating too. The actions of people around us affect us.
That actually makes a lot of sense. There is still a degree of open mindedness people need to have. I used to be a liberal democrat as a child from listening to my prents, but today, from keeping an openmind i have taken a 180 degree turn to conservatsm... Butthere are facts that you simply cannot deny. Its like these people have ne er read an unbiased study on the furry fandom once in thier God forsaken lives.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
Chances are, he is probably trolling

I don't care what ANYONE says, Trolling and Bullying are EXACTLY the same thing. What exactly is the point of "humor" designed to be mean, hurtful, and offensive, even racist? Is that what humor has degraded to these days?
Spoiler for Hidden:
...no wonder misanthropy exists. To be honest, I don't get why misanthropy is so frowned upon. It's a very misunderstood concept in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:35:43 PM by Count of Cutesy »

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:12:42 AM »
I agree, Trolling IS bullying, but why do people bully? For shits and giggles and to make themselves feel superior, which is essentially why people troll as well.

Offline Rocoro T. Pup

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 04:34:39 AM »
Really just leave em alone or just go with the flow and pretend to not care

Offline Oedipus Rex

• Eager Elephant
  • Here we go again.
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Mantis
  • Coloring: 50 shades of Light Green.
  • Height: 6'3"
  • Weight: 250lbs
  • Build: Solid.
  • Currently: Fixed my steam profile link after 3 years, lel.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 04:36:52 AM »
Really just leave em alone or just go with the flow and pretend to not care
Who needs to pretend?
  • Avatar by: FrankLemonHeart (Thanks)
  • Signature art by: Some forum quiz thing and some individual.

Offline Rocoro T. Pup

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 04:44:56 AM »
good point