The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Graphics driver constantly crashes, can't install later version  (Read 2255 times)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Graphics driver constantly crashes, can't install later version
« on: September 23, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
So... I have a GTX 460 Graphics card on a 64 bit operating system and I have an outdated graphics card driver on my card. This driver causes a whole bunch of little problems that have been progressively getting worse. For starters it often "crashes", when the driver crashes it causes the screen to go completely black for a few seconds, then it loads up the screen again and a message from windows pops up saying "This driver crashed but windows recovered it". It did this about once a month, then once a week and now it's doing it about 3 or 4 times a day. It's just a minor problem, but yesterday it got very bad. I was screen sharing on skype when it crashed, the crash caused my entire computer to crash and it was unable to boot into windows (everytime it did it would crash again). I was forced to boot in safe mode, uninstall the driver then reinstall it.

Here's  the weirder problem, I can't update it. It's a Nvidia driver and so I've gone to Nvidia website to try and install later drivers but they never work, this has been a recurring problem because I needed to update my drivers for Battlefield 3. All drivers seem to not work, the problem is this. The installer works fine, checks computer compatibility and says my computer is compatible and continues. It removes parts of my old driver (which causes my driver to stop working) then proceeds to install the new driver, it fails installing the new driver and simply gives an unhelpful error message akin to "Something went wrong during the install! Please wait and run the installer again later" (I tried it and nothing changed and again this issue has been happening since BF3 was released). The worst part is, it doesn't bother to install my old driver so I LOSE my old driver and the only way to reinstall is through windows update (which works). Windows update however says I'm on the latest driver even though it's clearly outdated. I don't mind the minor crashes but when it's causing my entire computer to crash, that's a problem..

...what do?

SPECS:

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  Model X58A-UD3R
  Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
  System type 64-bit operating system
  Number of processor cores 4

Storage   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Total size of hard disk(s) 1923 GB
  Disk partition (C:) 2 GB Free (60 GB Total)
  Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
  Disk partition (E:) 779 GB Free (1863 GB Total)

Graphics   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
  Total available graphics memory 3839 MB
        Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
        Dedicated system memory 0 MB
        Shared system memory 2815 MB
  Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.2723
  Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
  DirectX version DirectX 10

• Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline drenteɳ

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Awesomeness in a can!!!
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Dog
  • Coloring: Dark Greyish-Blue
  • Height: 161cm
  • Weight: 58kg
  • Build: Average
Re: Graphics driver constantly crashes, can't install later version
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
Heyzzzzz..... zzzzzzzzzzzz....  XD

Your best bet is probably to get rid of your old drivers (in add or remove programs (search for it in the start menu) find the NVIDIA Graphics Driver). Probably wouldn't hurt to take out anything else NVIDIA there.
With any luck, that clears them out enough that windows will revert to default drivers after a restart, and then updates will work.
Of course, I provide no warranties on any services provided.
      - drenten(netnerd)
  • Avatar by: Me, it's still a bit of a WIP though

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »
*Never* install Nvidia drivers from Windows Update, they have the most amount of problems.

When you grab the newest Nvidia driver, make sure you are getting the one specific to your card and OS. Sure, they bundle all the drivers anyway so it usually doesn't matter, but it's always safe to do. In the installation you can choose to do a clean install, try it that way instead of uninstalling then re installing your driver.

Also make sure you're using a stable build driver, not a beta build. Worst comes to worse, roll back to an older driver. A quick google search may come up with the answer. "Best GTX 460 driver" or something to that effect.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
Also use http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html to make sure you clean it out entirely before installing the new version.
Proud to be a furry!

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »
I did a clean install in safe mode and that didn't fix the problem, same thing occurred. I haven't done the driver sweeper yet but I might have to, all hells broken loose since I've done the clean install. My driver is even more buggier than before, my computers slowed down to a halt, I don't know what's going on but things are looking very bad. God dammit.

EDIT: Windows update isn't even installing a new driver now =/

EDIT 2: After running Timmy Fox's program the situation has improved slightly but is still worse than it was previously. Computer is no longer crashing, but now I don't have a graphics card, windows update AND the Nvidia site refuse to install drivers. I honestly think at this point, it's a hardware problem, or Nic believes a problem with the OS.

We'll see, going to call "Geeks2U", which is a technical repair corporation that repaired my brothers computer and my computer before (they did a great job) so hopefully they'll repair my computer too. Unfortunately, they cost quite a bit of money >.> Probably going to have to use this as my birthday present for mum but that's ok, my computer is dying and I don't like it dying D: .

Good news is that internet doesn't require a graphics card, only gaming does. So I don't game much on my comp these days anyway, so not so bad, especially since I just got GTAV, and it worked, I was scared GTAV would break too xD

biggest problem is youtube requires a graphics card... so I guess i'll use my laptop for that then
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:03:52 PM by anoni »

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline legolyle

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • Always right? You're doing something wrong!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark grey-blue, with a nice grey streak
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Currently: Aliens!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
WIPE IT, ALL OF IT

No, but really, I'd definitely try the driver sweeper, remove the old and install the newest. If that doesn't work, file a ticket with Nvidia support.

Your computer should be able to run (no games or anything) without a graphics driver, so you need to just make sure it's totally removed.
"if your philosophy is not unsettled daily then you are blind to all the universe has to offer"
- Neil Tyson

"When I told my father I wanted to be a physicist, he said, ‘Hell no, you ain’t going to work in a drug store.’ I said no, not a pharmacist. I said, ‘Like Einstein.’ He poked me in the chest with a piece of plumbing pipe. ‘You ain’t going to be no engineer,’ he said. ‘You’re going to be Einstein.’"
-Leonard Susskind
:'D those sorts of things make me smile.

~negotiator~

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
Can you also give us the specs for your motherboard and what kind of processor you have? There's quite a few bits of hardware that's not compatible with the 460, which is why I bought the GTX 480. It's rare for this to be the case, obviously, since it's Nvidea. But yea, remove the card and then use the integrated VGA to uninstall the drivers. After that, install the drivers first and then shut down. Reattach the card and then start it up. It should work this way. I've found it to work the best whenever I'm adding in a new GPU or when I'm building a rig.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »
I ran the software, totally removed it and did all that, but... =/ Nothings really worked, it still won't install.

I haven't actually taken the graphics card out of my computer because.... quite frankly I'm not very experienced with computer hardware and I feel I'm going to screw things up, I don't trust myself pulling apart my computer.

The graphics card has been in my computer for 3 years, and despite being unable to update, it's been fine for the entire time until about 4 months ago. I don't know my motherboard specs but my processor is a i7 950 model. I don't think compatibility is really the issue, but it might be I suppose, but then the only way to fix it is to get a new graphics card xD

I'm going to call in a tech savvy support person from a website known as "Geeks2U" I've used them before and they're really good, they cost quite a bit of money though...

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
Nvidia is known for having troublesome drivers like that it seems.
I use AMD and honestly find their drivers to be less troublesome.

I suggest that, before you clean it with the program linked, you look up which driver is good with your card and download it so you have it ready to install.
Proud to be a furry!

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:47 AM »
But the problem with AMD graphics cards is that they generate a LOT of heat, and have pretty low life expectancies. Nvideas rarely screw up, but when they do, they screw up bad. As with working with opening up your computer and/or replacing the GPU, I'm more than happy to walk you through it all free of charge. I make my bread and butter working on computers all the time.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 04:58:27 AM »
@TimmyFox already did that and already cleaned it

I've contacted some guys to come over and fix the graphics card issue, going to cost me $150 >.> So see if I can get it fixed before then (Can only cancel on Sunday)

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 06:53:37 AM »
But the problem with AMD graphics cards is that they generate a LOT of heat, and have pretty low life expectancies. Nvideas rarely screw up, but when they do, they screw up bad. As with working with opening up your computer and/or replacing the GPU, I'm more than happy to walk you through it all free of charge. I make my bread and butter working on computers all the time.
Define "low life expectancies" and then please explain how you are qualified to make that judgement.
I really don't find AMD's generating a lot of heat. My overclocked 7970 doesn't exceed 55-60C even in the most intense load tests. I've never seen any major AMD screwups and the only few issues I've had myself are really nothing the regular user would do (triple monitors, crossfire cards, eyefinity enabled and plugging something in the way it's not supposed to plug in anyway).

@Anoni, that's strange.. any other driver versions you could try? What's the error you get?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:36:20 AM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
@TimmyFox: I've never seen a single AMD GPU that's lasted longer than 4 years without having severe issues causing it to shit the bed. I have a friend who's die-hard on them, and ends up replacing them almost every year. On the same note, Nvidea cards that I've seen and used have always lasted. My old 9800 GTX's (2007) still work perfectly to this day, and have yet to show signs of even wearing down. My cousin's 8800 GS is a low-end model but still works perfectly fine when I last tuned his computer last year.

@Anoni: Good luck, then.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »
@TimmyFox: I've never seen a single AMD GPU that's lasted longer than 4 years without having severe issues causing it to shit the bed. I have a friend who's die-hard on them, and ends up replacing them almost every year. On the same note, Nvidea cards that I've seen and used have always lasted. My old 9800 GTX's (2007) still work perfectly to this day, and have yet to show signs of even wearing down. My cousin's 8800 GS is a low-end model but still works perfectly fine when I last tuned his computer last year.
That's interesting.
My old HD 4770 is still running fine in my mothers work computer where it's been for the past year or so. That was the first dedicated GPU I ever bought that wasn't pre-installed in the any computer. If it were to ever have issues I'd most likely still have my lifetime warranty from XFX.
Another thing to note, pretty much all decent technology has improved in quality over the years and should be expected to last longer if you really want it to.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:31:18 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 06:01:59 AM »
Can we stay on topic, the topic is about fixing a particular issue not about which graphics card is the best