The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help a Razot  (Read 1397 times)

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Help a Razot
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:56:49 PM »
Ok guys, long story short: I want to go to Animation school but I need one thing... an art portfolio of 6 works that show my artistic value.
How do I get this? I go and do art, however I need a goal and a set mind and this is where you guys can really help me out.

Let me explain what I want from you.

In school, art was project based and so everyone would have there own take on a similar subject. This has so far proven to be the best way for me to brainstorm and actually create a work of art.

I want you to, quite simply, give me an art project to work on and it can be anything.
You can say "Hey Razot! paint something that explores the colours in a cubist landscape!" or "Paint something that shows how the human body shows emotion without words while utilising different layers."

stuff like that.

Why can't I just do this all for myself? because I need to feel like I'm working towards something and that's something that I struggle to do myself. I need to feel like I'm working towards something for someone. you get the idea...

I'll keep a journal and work a week on each project.

thank you
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline Marcus

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • This user has left!
    • Awards
Re: Help a Razot
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:13:22 PM »
You should paint something that shows how human "progress" has hurt the planet.  :o

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
thank you

Offline Marcus

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • This user has left!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
My pleasure. :)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »
Although you're welcome to do whatever you like, I would not recommend drawing whatever people suggest for you here. I would instead come up with your own ideas that you know will show off your level of knowledge with basic art fundamentals. You need to either find something you've already drawn that shows your best ability in those important skill sets or make something new that will do that for you.

The theme or subject of an artwork is probably one of the least important aspects in a portfolio. The things that do matter are your use of color, composition, anatomy, value, line, texture, and form. If you can show you're comfortable using a particular piece of art software or medium that you know will come in handy at the school, that's a bonus as well. Probably one of the most useful things you should consider putting in your portfolio is some sort of life drawing(s) - preferably of humans, but still lifes can be useful too. Go people-watching and draw the people you see, or get someone to pose for you. Even simple abstract art pieces can say a lot about your skills.

You could still record your progress if that helps motivate you, but your goal should be to fill your portfolio with work you can be proud of, not working to please anyone around here. Because (and I hope you don't mind me being totally honest here) if you can't find a way to motivate yourself to just get the acceptance portfolio done, you're probably going to find yourself struggling a lot later on when you get to the actual schoolwork.

Again - you're welcome to do whatever you want. I have no idea how strict the acceptance is for the school you're applying to, so it might not even matter. Just trying to offer advice if you want it. :P

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »
Thanks WZ
you're awesome  ^_^

Offline Maine

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Cheers, big ears!
    • Awards
  • Species: Hare
  • Coloring: Navy blue.
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 64kg
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: NOTHING. <w<
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »
Hey Razot,

Agreeing with most of what WZ has said; sometimes you need to make art for other people, but other times you need to make art for yourself. I think now is one of those make-art-for-yourself times.

But however, if you need some inspiration, may I suggest something revolving around architecture.
That is all, Good luck!
  • Avatar by: The lovely (and talented) Nobi! <3