The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Disappointed/Led on (sort of)  (Read 382 times)

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Back!
Disappointed/Led on (sort of)
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
I'll get right into this, I suppose. Yesterday I went on what I thought was a date. It was with one of the Japanese students studying at my university over the summer. I was almost certain that she liked me, and everyone else I'd spoken to about it—and even some of the other Japanese students, it would seem—was quite convinced, as well. She and I had already gone on two late-night walks together that both lasted until roughly 2:00 in the morning. She would give me longer-than-normal hugs. Whenever my group had to be split up between cars (yes, she is actually in my group), she would always want to ride with me. She also requested that it be just me and her last night when we went out, rather than inviting the rest of my group. The icing on the cake came a few nights ago, when I sat next to her on a couch, and she leaned right up against me without missing a beat. We cuddled. My arm was around her, she placed her hand on my knee at one point, I placed my hand on hers, and everything. I told a few of my friends about this, and they were all so sure that she liked me. One friend—I see her as my big sister—was even worried that this girl would try to kiss me when we went out together. Even the other Japanese students apparently noticed a significant shift in her body language whenever she was around me.

So I took her out for dinner and a walk downtown last night. Everything went so well, until we got back to school and I sat her down to talk. I told her how I was surprised that she had gotten so close to me on the couch that night, and I asked her how she felt about me. She said that she only saw me as a friend. She apologized for confusing me, and as we went up the elevator to the dorms, she thanked me for asking her. After a minute or two up there with the other students in the game room, I told her that I had to go, and she hugged me the same way she did every night when we said goodbye. I don't know if she feels awkward or not, because she definitely isn't showing it if she is. I, on the other hand, felt very awkward for that couple of minutes in the game room. I have a feeling that they started talking about me when I left...

I know it wasn't her intention, but I just feel so led on... She and the others are here for the rest of the summer, and she's in my group. I'm still going to have to look after her and do things with her. I just hope this awkward feeling goes away quickly.

At least I didn't go with my initial plan... At first, I was planning on actually telling her that I liked her, rather than asking how she felt about me. I planned on just saying "daisuki desu," which, according to my big sister that I mentioned earlier, means either "I love you," or "I like you a lot," depending on context (in this case, it would mean the latter). Now that she's told me she just likes me as a friend, I'm glad I didn't go with that plan... It would have only made the outcome worse, I think.

At this point, I just have no idea what to do... I feel like I've royally screwed up, and just doomed myself to spending a summer pretending to be calm and happy while spending time with a girl I like who doesn't like me back—and a group that almost certainly knows it.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
Re: Disappointed/Led on (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like she was sending you some pretty clear signals, so I'm not sure why she acts that way around you if she doesn't like you. Maybe you remind her of someone else she is close to, or maybe she just feels comfortable with you, I don't know. It sucks when you like someone and don't have those feelings returned though.

It is good that you talked to her about it and got a straight answer from her. Make sure you're hearing her answer as "no" and not "maybe." As confusing as it may be to hear her say one thing and do another, giving yourself false hopes that maybe she didn't mean it or might change her mind or something will only hurt you worse. Try to just accept your relationship with her for what it is. Focus on what you have rather than what you don't have. You both care about each other, and even though you may be interested in her romantically, maybe it just isn't meant to be. You could find happiness in simply being close and making her smile.

And if that's too uncomfortable or painful for you to do, I would suggest maybe distancing yourself from her a bit. If you've already told her you thought she was sending you signals, ask her politely to not sit so close and stuff because it confuses you. You could maybe even be honest with her and tell her that you had liked her but understand if she isn't interested, and that you still want to be her friend but just need a little space. Since you already know how she feels, you wouldn't be telling her that you like her with any expectation of acceptance or rejection; you're simply trying to make things comfortable.

But whatever you end up doing, good luck with it. I'm sure you'll find someone special someday who can return your feelings.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Lord_of_Fortune

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Dire Wolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 8 feet
  • Weight: 350 lbs
  • Build: Muscular
  • Currently: Ready to go
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
I am truly sorry. BUT now is time to use a 2 pronged attack while still being polite to her spend more time getting to know other female in her presence if possible. This should cause her to recheck her feelings for you and if one woman sees another woman moving into her territory "DRAMA" you'll become the new hotness.
El caza trofeos de los hombres.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Rhoryc

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
I am truly sorry. BUT now is time to use a 2 pronged attack while still being polite to her spend more time getting to know other female in her presence if possible. This should cause her to recheck her feelings for you and if one woman sees another woman moving into her territory "DRAMA" you'll become the new hotness.

While I'm not an expert at relationship advice, I would say that this is probably not the best thing to do.

Appreciate the friendship for what it is, don't try to push it any further if she's clearly not interested.

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »
I have to agree with Rhoryc, Lord_of_Fortune. I do appreciate the encouragement, but I definitely don't want to complicate things even further. I don't want to jeopardize anyone else's feelings, especially if I'm not interested in them.

Zeph, I will likely wait a day or two to calm down, but I am planning to speak to her about it again... I think she needs to know that she was sending signals that not only made me think she liked me, but also made many other people think the same thing... I'm not aiming to guilt-trip her, obviously, but it seems like she didn't realize the impact her behavior was having...

Offline Lord_of_Fortune

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »
Well each to their own. In any case I am sorry for the situation and I hope it works out for you. Maybe in two days you'll meet a super model who's a closet furry and wants to be with you. I sorry I'm an optimist.

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
Well each to their own. In any case I am sorry for the situation and I hope it works out for you. Maybe in two days you'll meet a super model who's a closet furry and wants to be with you. I sorry I'm an optimist.
Heh. Thanks for the sentiment. Although, I've never been into the model look...

Offline Lord_of_Fortune

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 07:34:51 PM »
It doesn't have to be an act model just a model in your eyes cause that's where beauty stays. In the eye........ That was stupid can I try another take, no ok.

Offline Sirius

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolff
  • Coloring: Black/grey/blue
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 220
  • Build: Heavyweight
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »
It does sound like she led you on a little bit. She gave you some hope there was something there and she probably knew what she was doing or subconsciously was acting it out. Just appreciate that she saved you alot of trouble and was straight up honest about her feelings. All you can do is realize it wasn't meant to be and just treat her the same you did before this incident. It could honestly make you better friends or it will drive you apart through anxiety and awkwardness. You have to play it let it slide don't let her know how much it bothered you because then she will feel guilty and it just makes it more awkward.

Anyway i hope any of that helped and good luck  ;)

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:20:07 AM »
Thanks so much for your advice and support, everyone. Things are actually much better now.

This past Sunday, she messaged me while I was at work, asking me when I got off. I told her, and she asked me to go on another walk with her that night, if I was ok. I told her yes, and we met up later that evening. We walked a short distance, just talking about our days, before finding a spot to sit down. She told me that the main reason she wanted me to come up to school was so she could apologize again and explain things a little better. All weekend, she said, she'd been feeling really bad about what had happened on Friday. She apologized once more for confusing me, as well as for giving everyone else the impression that she liked me. She explained that she acts the same way around all of her male friends, which, now that I thought about it, is precisely the same way my best friend Sarah is. I said that I was used to Sarah doing it, but not used to her doing it. That was why I was confused. I just didn't know that sort of behavior was normal for her.

She asked if I would still be her friend. I of course said yes. Not only because she is part of my group for the summer, but even more so because she is one of very few people to actively seek me out to apologize and explain themselves after hurting me, intentionally or not (she of course did not hurt me intentionally). To me, that said quite a lot about her as a person. It meant that she is the type to take others' feelings into consideration and take responsibility for her behavior, which makes her an amazing friend in my book. So friends is what she and I are. I prefer not to use the phrase "just friends" in these types of situations because it implies that friendship is somehow a step below, or worth less than a romantic relationship. As nice as it would have been to experience a romantic relationship with her, I feel content with our friendship. And the more I think about it, the more I realize that it's likely still too soon after my recent breakup for me to pursue a romantic relationship. It's been over a month, yes, but I still don't feel quite ready for that yet. Only time will tell me when I'm ready.

Thanks again everyone who offered support, advice, and good thoughts. :)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 04:22:54 PM »
That's very respectable, and I'm glad you can still find a way to be friends. Glad to hear things worked out. :)

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:27:03 PM »
Uh, Sirius... Please read my last post in this thread...

Offline Sirius

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
Hell ya i love to hear stories where people act mature, kind, and thoughtful. Too bad everyone isn't like that.

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 03:53:04 AM »
–w– My point is, this issue has more or less been resolved. I don't believe she is lying, and I have no desire to snoop. I don't need any "ammo," because there are no battles to be fought. She has made it clear to me that she wants to be friends, so it's not right of me to pursue anything else with her. It wouldn't be respectful, or smart, for that matter. I'm simply going to continue on my current course, which is one of friendship.

Offline Sirius

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »
 >:( my bad. Didn't mean to come off judgemental or anything. I wasn't saying anything bad about you or her and i said i'm glad things worked out you both handled it in the best way possible and had a positive outcome. Can't ask for much more. I guess i just have a more guarded view when it comes to other people because of past experiences. No disrespect.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:37:23 PM by Sirius »