Author Topic: Difference Between Therianthropy and Furry?  (Read 7412 times)

Offline Tymbal

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Periodical Cicada
Difference Between Therianthropy and Furry?
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
I did a quick search for this topic, but I didn't see anything here along these lines. If such a topic does already exist, I apologize.

Anyway, I have often spoken to a cat furry about the difference between therianthropy and furry. Said cat furry has been in the furry community for many years, but has not been an active member of the therian community. In fact, I'm not certain he even knew about therianthropy before I showed up. Nevertheless, we've had some in-depth discussions and debates concerning this topic. From where I come from, having been in the therian community before I knew about furry, therianthropy is the state of being mentally or spiritually an animal. 

As defined by project shift, "Therianthropy: The state of being a person who is, feels, or believes he/she is in part or whole (non-physically) one or more non-human animals on an integral, personal level." (http://project-shift.org/terms-definitions/)

The furry fandom, according to WikiFur, is described in these few paragraphs,

"Furry fandom, also known as furrydom, furridom, fur fandom or furdom, refers to the fandom for the furry genre of literature, art and entertainment. Furry fandom is also used to refer to the community of artists, writers, role players and general fans of the furry art forms who gather on the net and at conventions. Members of the furry fandom, known as furry fans, furfans, furries, or furs, particularly enjoy media that includes fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics. Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, the ability to speak, walking on two legs, and wearing clothing.
Characters that morph between human and animal form are also considered by some to be part of the genre. Even certain superheroes with animal derived powers are considered of furry interest by some fans. The general idea being a combination of human and animal attributes, for which there is no documented science regarding what degrees of mixture are required. Even characters like Josie and the Pussycats are considered of interest to furry fandom, though they only wear costumes with animal ears and tails." (http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Furry_fandom)
According to my friend, there really isn't a significant difference between furry and therianthropy. He says that they are simply two ways of looking at the same thing. To me, however, I see a few very obvious differences, and yet a lot of crossover. While both have an animal focus, and both often include a sort of "identity", furry seems to have more "variance" in terms of why people join, and what they believe. Furries, for example, can be a furry for sexual reasons, totemic or spiritual reasons, a connection to their "fursona", or even a basic "liking" of anthropomorphic animals. Whereas, therianthropy seems to delve far deeper into the spiritual, or psychological. This is not to say that therians don't experience their therianthropy differently, depending on the person, but rather that there seems to be a wider range of variance among furries, than therians. Though both have a community, therians do tend to be "quieter" about their identity, than furries, mostly keeping to online forums, as opposed to going to their own public conventions. Indeed, most therians who do attend conventions, will attend furry conventions as a sort of "meet up". Granted, there was a recent lecture on therianthropy, which you can find here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMEkuOW5pjs This lecture may be a first step toward recognition in the outside communities.

Yet, there is also a lot of crossover. As mentioned above, therians will sometimes attend furry conventions, and many therians express their animal side through furry. There are even furries who discover that they are therians after setting foot in the furry community, and being directed to the therian community. Still, some therians and otherkin seem to detest furry. There have been some who have thought furry a "mockery" of otherkin, although this opinion seems less common now.

When it comes to being a cicada, I personally see it as somewhere between therianthropy and furry. I'm a cicada, yes, and I feel a deep connection to cicadas (especially periodical cicadas), but I don't shift into a cicada, nor do I experience the phantom limbs of a cicada. I feel a bit like a cicada, but because I don't necessarily display any "obvious" behaviors typical of cicadas other than metaphorically, I choose to label myself more as a "cicada furry", rather than a "cicada therian". Regardless, this may seem extremely therian-esque to most therians, but it also seems very furry. Personally, I feel that labels such as "furry", "therian", or "otherkin" are most acceptable if defined by the individual. In other words, since it's a matter of personal identity, only said person can say which they are, if any.

Even so, the definitions do seem a tad "blurry". So I ask, what's your definition of therianthropy/otherkin? What's your definition of furry? Are they the same? Are they different? Or are there both differences and similarities?

Offline Balasthor

• Avid Aardvark
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Brown I guess, but... I don't think too much about it
  • Height: I don't know. I'm typing wolf, so... Wolf height :D
  • Weight: Maybe 65 kg, but I'ts not precision information
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Difference Between Therianthropy and Furry?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:21:34 PM »
Very interesting. For me difference between furry and therian there is a level of the initiation. Therian more is going deep into it experiences furry. I mean the fact that more strongly he is identifying himself with the part of his animal nature.

I got to know furry with case. I love wolves and I would often like to think so as these beautiful beings. My mind is a blend of the wolfish and human awareness. It is affecting for perceiving my reality.

There are a few levels of being in my opinion furry. For one it is a kind of the community and for other aim in life. Everyone has it favorite. Does he as only as very much believe in it? I feel that I am a wolf. We have shared needs. If I could, I would live the same as the wolf.

Difference between therian and furry it is an issue of the exceeding certain border. Question only where is that border? It requires the personal touch to the bottom of the matter.

I think, that therian he isn't choosing the animal, he is meeting them in himself. The Furry person has his/her favourite. He chose him for the reason important for oneself.

In a sense everyone therian is furry but not everyone furry it therian.

Be only yourself

Offline Tymbal

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Periodical Cicada
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »
Thank you for your reply, Balasthor!

I think, that therian he isn't choosing the animal, he is meeting them in himself. The Furry person has his/her favourite. He chose him for the reason important for oneself.

In a sense everyone therian is furry but not everyone furry it therian.

I tend to agree with this statement, actually. Interestingly, I did not choose cicada as my fursona, so much as it just "settled" as such. I went from animal to animal, before I realized that I had felt a connection to cicadas, and surprisingly had not decided to use cicada as my fursona. However, only after I had first laid eyes upon the 17-year cicadas, had I felt the connection, although the connection was instant and quite obvious at the time. It was then that I just sort of..."knew". I guess in this sense, I am technically more of a cicada therian, but I generally stick primarily to the furry community, due to some very prevalent elitism in the therian community. :P

Offline Balasthor

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
Thank you for your reply, Balasthor!

No problem Tymbal :)

I think, that therian must be a bit of a philosopher. I asked myself much. Some were attacking. Did I think what I was a wolf for? For what with not a cat, the dog or for instance a dragon? It is hard to determine it. The wolf is kind of my complement, without it doesn't exist.

I didn't search for the bond with other animals, but I understand how you did it. "Searching for oneself" consists in it. Certain features of our nature which it won't be possible to describe exist and yet they are in us. They waited for the awakening. The network of connections of the personality is endless and is regarding both people and animals. Both sides are work of the nature actually. We are evidence for this fact, since we are combining the humanity and the wild not-learned animal side of our life.
Be only yourself

Offline Bellamina

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Currently: Scared
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
Interesing topic. May I join?

If you're just a furry you can find your animal. If you're a therian this animal can find you. We can't choose the species. It can change in exceptional situations, irrespective of us. And also, the feling and connect with the animal lasts through the entire life. It's good to find the balance between animal and humanity.

If I can I would left my human life and live like wolf. Every moment I feel my true nature and I know that it will last forever. I just wondering - why wolf? What's the point of having animal soul in human body? Perhaps it is necessary to understand something. Something, that neither a human, nor a wolf will understand. But if you mix them together...

You're right, Balasthor. About the fact that therian need to be a little bit philosopher. There is a lot of questions that I can ask myself. I can't find every answers for now, but I thiink they will come. I just have to wait and give it a time.

Offline Arylett Dawnsborough

• Avid Aardvark
  • Red Missa of Loveliness.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dog Missa
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 123 lbs
  • Build: Moderate.
  • Currently: Tense
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:30:47 AM »
Might as well poke my nose into this conversation as well, eh?

When it comes to being a cicada, I personally see it as somewhere between therianthropy and furry. I'm a cicada, yes, and I feel a deep connection to cicadas (especially periodical cicadas), but I don't shift into a cicada, nor do I experience the phantom limbs of a cicada. I feel a bit like a cicada, but because I don't necessarily display any "obvious" behaviors typical of cicadas other than metaphorically, I choose to label myself more as a "cicada furry", rather than a "cicada therian". Regardless, this may seem extremely therian-esque to most therians, but it also seems very furry. Personally, I feel that labels such as "furry", "therian", or "otherkin" are most acceptable if defined by the individual. In other words, since it's a matter of personal identity, only said person can say which they are, if any.

Even so, the definitions do seem a tad "blurry". So I ask, what's your definition of therianthropy/otherkin? What's your definition of furry? Are they the same? Are they different? Or are there both differences and similarities?
First off, I'd like to say that the first paragraph you have here pretty much sums up exactly how I am with my own animal. (Dogs.) Except unlike you, I choose to define myself as a therian. Which adds something to this topic, I think. When two people can have similar feelings, but choose to apply different labels... labels can be seen in a large variety of ways, pretty much. You can add a simple definition to a label, and you'll still have many many people claiming themselves to be outside of it even if they don't fit this basic definition. Words can be interpreted in so many ways. I myself am very interested in personal labels, as I find labels to be an integral part of defining me.

My definitions are really quite simple, though, to be honest. I never really like to overcomplicate things. To me, the difference between a furry and a therian is simple. A furry is attracted to anthropomorphic animals, for the most part. Either via casual or sexual interest. There's nothing spiritual to it in my opinion. They just... happen to like animals that are like humans on nothing more than a surface level. That's why it is called a "fandom" in my opinion. A fandom doesn't really imply anything serious.

Therian? I just see a therian like this: Somebody who believes they are an animal are the inside instead of human. Like a transsexual, but for species. How they believe it isn't important. Whether it's because they believe in it spiritually, psychologically, etc. That doesn't matter. And that's why I consider myself a therian. Because I don't shift, not at all. I don't even begin to UNDERSTAND some of the common things in therian communities. I've tried joining them and ended up being scared off by all the weird jargon and spiritual talk. (I'm not really too spiritual, to be honest) But I still feel like something else, something that isn't human. I have since I was a child, despite not fitting into this community. That is why I apply it. To me, it's really that simple. I saw the phrase, and thought: "Oh, while the other people who apply it may not be people I fit in with, I think on its most basic definition, I definitely fit into it."

Same with furry, really. I like anthropormorphic creatures as well, and find them more interesting than just being a normal animal. The idea of mixing both is perfect to someone who has the mind and body of a human (I'd like to keep my mind, to be honest, don't want an animal mind), but feels somewhat off. I express my theriotype THROUGH being a furry in a way that is acceptable and at least... known to others. This is why some people can get confused. Some therians can be both, most definitely. Particularly the ones who don't want to be FULLY that animal like myself.

But I can agree with what you have said as well. Overall though: any label that we choose is applied by US only. If you want to call yourself a therian based on how you define the term, you can. Same with furry. This is just my personal belief on the matter.

Creativity - I'll create my own world anew, a world where we can live together.

Arkra de Atnura (My Blog, Not Just Useless Reblogs)

Offline Balasthor

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
Interesing topic. May I join?

If you're just a furry you can find your animal. If you're a therian this animal can find you. We can't choose the species. It can change in exceptional situations, irrespective of us. And also, the feling and connect with the animal lasts through the entire life. It's good to find the balance between animal and humanity.

If I can I would left my human life and live like wolf. Every moment I feel my true nature and I know that it will last forever. I just wondering - why wolf? What's the point of having animal soul in human body? Perhaps it is necessary to understand something. Something, that neither a human, nor a wolf will understand. But if you mix them together...

You're right, Balasthor. About the fact that therian need to be a little bit philosopher. There is a lot of questions that I can ask myself. I can't find every answers for now, but I thiink they will come. I just have to wait and give it a time.

I have nothing to add. You say all what I expect. I want say only one. If you find ansfer you find also new question and you do one step closer for your secret personality.

Might as well poke my nose into this conversation as well, eh?

First off, I'd like to say that the first paragraph you have here pretty much sums up exactly how I am with my own animal. (Dogs.) Except unlike you, I choose to define myself as a therian. Which adds something to this topic, I think. When two people can have similar feelings, but choose to apply different labels... labels can be seen in a large variety of ways, pretty much. You can add a simple definition to a label, and you'll still have many many people claiming themselves to be outside of it even if they don't fit this basic definition. Words can be interpreted in so many ways. I myself am very interested in personal labels, as I find labels to be an integral part of defining me.

My definitions are really quite simple, though, to be honest. I never really like to overcomplicate things. To me, the difference between a furry and a therian is simple. A furry is attracted to anthropomorphic animals, for the most part. Either via casual or sexual interest. There's nothing spiritual to it in my opinion. They just... happen to like animals that are like humans on nothing more than a surface level. That's why it is called a "fandom" in my opinion. A fandom doesn't really imply anything serious.

Therian? I just see a therian like this: Somebody who believes they are an animal are the inside instead of human. Like a transsexual, but for species. How they believe it isn't important. Whether it's because they believe in it spiritually, psychologically, etc. That doesn't matter. And that's why I consider myself a therian. Because I don't shift, not at all. I don't even begin to UNDERSTAND some of the common things in therian communities. I've tried joining them and ended up being scared off by all the weird jargon and spiritual talk. (I'm not really too spiritual, to be honest) But I still feel like something else, something that isn't human. I have since I was a child, despite not fitting into this community. That is why I apply it. To me, it's really that simple. I saw the phrase, and thought: "Oh, while the other people who apply it may not be people I fit in with, I think on its most basic definition, I definitely fit into it."

Same with furry, really. I like anthropormorphic creatures as well, and find them more interesting than just being a normal animal. The idea of mixing both is perfect to someone who has the mind and body of a human (I'd like to keep my mind, to be honest, don't want an animal mind), but feels somewhat off. I express my theriotype THROUGH being a furry in a way that is acceptable and at least... known to others. This is why some people can get confused. Some therians can be both, most definitely. Particularly the ones who don't want to be FULLY that animal like myself.

But I can agree with what you have said as well. Overall though: any label that we choose is applied by US only. If you want to call yourself a therian based on how you define the term, you can. Same with furry. This is just my personal belief on the matter.

I think that everyone is seeking the solution and you found so for oneself. In my opinion you are more of half therian than therian. I know, you like the simple approach towards the matter, but I not. I like to break everything to the first parts. To analyse the fragment of own reality. I am a fan of complicating :)

I think that you feel something. You cannot only specify it. You tried to join to the community therian, so is acting at you certain type of attracting. It didn't go there too well and you walked away but feeling stay. It is likely that it has always been and will be, because for me it is not an issue of the faith it is or there is no it. Yes, it is just simple :)

There is no one definition on therian, because it would be boring. Yours is ok. You are only lacking.... of something. You know what it is but you don't know how to bite it.

In the nature is a huge diversity and here it's the same. Perhaps therianie and do fur rugs have their varieties? However I am doubting that it will be possible to catalogue it. It is one of these things which are impossible and simultaneously probable.
Be only yourself

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 07:21:16 AM »
My 2c.

Furries are very vaguely defined, there are different levels of how furry someone can be, but the key line for someone to be a furry is to have a like of anthropomorphic art. Therians are people who spiritually, mentally or even physically identify on a deep and personal level with another animal. So there are a number of differences.

After some thought I would say that a Therian does not necessarily have to be a furry. A furry entails a love for "anthropomorphic art" which is animals with human qualities, while a therian simply identifies with another animal. It could be said that a human identifying with another animal may be considered an animal with human qualities or a human with animal qualities, but if it were the case that someone believed that they simply were not human and had [no mental human traits about them] they could still be considered therian, but would not be a fan of anthromophism and thus would not be a furry. As well, a therian might not necessarily like animals, he might find that he identifies with an animal but might not like the actual animal itself, he would still be Therian but not a furry.

Another thing that differs is that being a furry is generally considered a choice, or not exactly a choice, but not predetermined. People either consider themselves choosing to join the fandom to make friends or because they have an interest in the art, or people believe that some external environmental act caused them to be a furry, not many furs believe themselves to be "born" furs. This is generally the opposite for therians however, most therians would say they had a connection with their animal from a very early age and some would say they were born with this connection, there still may be a few therians that consider being a therian a choice as well.

The last thing that differs from a furry and a therian is that a furry is a considerably more general term. Furries have varying levels of "connection" with their fursonas and varying levels of influence. Some furs might just look at art sometimes, some might go fursuiting, meet friends, go to conventions and so forth. With therians however, it is a bit more of a specific branch. Therians are considered more "deep" and "severe" with their connection.

I also want to note that a Therian does not need to experience phantom limbs or "shifts". A therian at it's vague definition is simply a mental, spiritual OR physical connection to an animal, in this case you seem to have a mental connection but not a physical connection, this would still classify you as a therian. Therians don't need phantom limbs like furries don't need fursuits xD
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:26:47 AM by anoni »
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";