The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help! - How did you start out?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Close your eyes and see the skies are falling.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Dark blue scales
  • Height: 2,36 M.
  • Weight: 110 Kg.
  • Build: Moderately tough
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Getting my ass in gear to do...something.
Help! - How did you start out?
« on: March 30, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »
Heya

So, you lot might know I already write, which is something I'm rather passionate about and am looking forward to as my future study. What pains me though, is that for years I have been wanting to get into drawing. I've doodled crap for ages, but I've regrettably never taken up the practice to start working on drawings with a computer. And to me, I'd give so much to reverse time and add that, I regret it so much. Alas, as of now, I find myself clueless on where to begin.

I already have a mediocre experience with Photoshop Elements 7, SAI Painter and MS Paint, but I have only used them for editing works, such as
I've drawn with pen for years now, generally letter art (drawing names in a sweet way), or some simple doodles. A few days ago, the similar feeling as the one I write this with, I stepped up to draw this (The picture is a rather early one, I did alot more work on smoothing the lines, coloring it and working on details):
But, after this, I still find myself without any aim as to how I am to start on working with a computer. I get frustrated up to high levels whenever I attempt something with a mouse, as the drawing becomes impossible with one. I am trying to save up for whatever cheap drawing tablet I can find, which I am hoping will at least solve that problem, after which I hope I can get myself to practice alot with it.

How did any of you start out? I would love to hear, as I am sure I can take any advice from you all :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:44:32 PM by FeralWings »
  • Signature art by: Me :D
You can be anything you want to be.
But can you be everything you want to be?

Click this shiet for my Deviantart!

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
Re: Help! - How did you start out?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
Nothing is showing up in your spoilers, just so you know. I'm not seeing any images.

That aside, I started off drawing with pencil. For years and years I did nothing but doodle with pencil. I drew on just about every piece of paper that sat in front of me. My school notebooks are full of doodles. I used pen and colored pencils rarely, but most of it was all just pencil and paper. Just a lot of stupid little things, like this:

Although I always wanted to draw well, I never really gave it a serious effort until I was about 19 or 20 years old. I then tried digital art for the first time, and made my first few digital drawings with the touchpad mouse on my laptop. I may have used a regular mouse once or twice, but I think the touchpad actually gave a little better control.

If I didn't want to do line art with a mouse, it would also sometimes be helpful to just scan pencil/pen line art, then clean up and color it digitally.

Over the next two years, I took art classes at college, got a tablet to make digital drawing easier, and have worked to improve my overall art skills. Drawing with a tablet definitely takes some getting used to, and there are some people who just don't like to use tablets, but I love my tablet. After getting used to it, I actually think I draw better with the tablet than I do with a pencil. I dunno why.

My first drawing tablet broke after a year (it was my fault, not the hardware's), and I'm now on my second one. This tablet has lasted almost three years now.

Not sure if any of that helps you, but there you go. :P

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »
Stupid spoilers broke yeah :|
But I'm quite looking forward to getting a tablet, and luckily a friend of mine has a scanner. Have not thought of that idea, so I'ma try that and see how it turns out :D
Much appreciated

*Posted links in the spoilers instead, stupid thing. Worked on a preview and worked on other occasions, but decided to hate me :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:45:23 PM by FeralWings »

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
I've been drawing since I was a little kid (starting with block shaped people before moving to stick figures, oddly). I felt really jealous when everyone else was drawing work of art beyond my ability, so I started adding more characteristics to my figures. Clothes became my favorite thing for a bit, then I felt the need to draw actual bodies so I could put much more detail in them. My advice starts here; draw the crap out of everything. Find what you're good at, and stick to it until you familiar with every line. I can draw my fursona with my eyes shut, which has made me pretty good at repetitive tasks such as comics. If you're never satisfied with your drawing skill, that's a good thing. It means you want to keep improving on the old stuff. Keep practicing as often as you can, and don't try to draw the same way over and over.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline Zeldoran (Former Frozt, FroztFox)

• Eager Elephant
  • Woff. waff, wafflez!
    • Fur Affinity
    • furaffinity.net
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: White, black and green / Brown, cream, black, green
  • Currently: Hating school ._.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:43:44 PM »

When i joined the fandom, i saw all these awesome artists and they inspired me.
I never liked to draw when i was young, sense i couldnt (and still cant) even draw a straight line or make a round circle by hand.
However, i decided to try and made this junk:

(August-13-2012)
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/8934137/

Then i improved quickly (too quickly for my taste) and all i wished for that Christmas, was a tablet, with i could recommend!
"Wacom Tablet, pen & touch gen 3"
And got into digital artwork, with i love!

That tablet brought me to where i am today, with things like this:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9797340/
http://www.furaffinity.net/full/10111619/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/10074129/

The reason i think i improved a bit too quickly is becous i expect my art to be better than i can make it, and thats bugging me  X3

However, my point is i guess that you should just try, and keep trying, keep looking for guides, and if you get that tablet, it "could" make things much easier...
But you should always remember that you have your own style and way to improve, you cant be exactly like some one else, your art wont look like others, it will look like yours! so dont get disappointed if you fail with what youre trying to do, just find your way to do it!
Hope i helped somewhat at least  ^_^

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I'm really just trying to get some time to go to a store where they should have some. I may also look for a second-hand one.