The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Can a character reference be made if I had a picture  (Read 804 times)

Offline 19Norway

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Can a character reference be made if I had a picture
« on: October 04, 2012, 02:00:43 AM »
I want a furry of an actual dog breed, but I really stink at drawing. :/
 I've practiced, but I'm really not getting any better.
If I was to give a few pictures and ideas to an artist and ask for a character reference, would that be good enough? Or do I need to also be good at drawing?  <.<
Year of 21

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: No longer a member
Re: Can a character reference be made if I had a picture
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 02:13:31 AM »
Depends on how descriptive you are.

Every non-artist that has a reference (like myself) had to start with their words and "idea pictures". Just remember: the more descriptive you are, the closer the artist can get to your vision.

Find someone that understands that they are going to be creating something new from what you detail. Someone that you want art from (everyone has a different style). Once you have that, negotiate with them and see what they can do.

It's possible what you want, but to have something really worth while you will need to work on how you describe what you want.
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:15:05 AM »
Most artists can work off pictures and ideas. You don't have to be able to draw things yourself. If you say you want a Chihuahua character drawn, it is very unlikely that an artist would give you something that looks like a German Shepherd instead. Even if you didn't give reference images for the breed, people should know how to work Google Images on their own. :P

It can vary slightly depending on the skill of the artist though. There are some artists who know how to pay closer attention to both obvious and subtle differences in dog breeds, and there are some artists who will always draw every canine character to look something like a wolf. It's important to look at an artist's past work and see how well they differentiate between canine species.

As long as you specifically point out that you want it to look like a certain breed though, the artist ought to be able to understand.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline 19Norway

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
Thank you for giving such detailed answers! I just so happened to have stumbled across Lenny Mutt and his art and sent him my ideas for a quote. He's pretty pricey but if the design is as good as his previous work then I'll probably stick with him for future pieces.  :D
Year of 21

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Currently: No longer a member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »
Glad to hear it!
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively