The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help me decide what to use my tumblr for!  (Read 1669 times)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Help me decide what to use my tumblr for!
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
Because I can't make a decision. XD

I'm starting up a tumblr (which is rather empty right now) and trying to figure out what I want to use it for. I just know I want to have some kind of purpose other than "posting all my art, herp derp" because I don't want another clone of my FA/DA/etc. art pages.

I don't know how many of you use tumblr. Since I'm new to it, I don't have a bunch of followers I could ask about this, so I'm asking you guys. XD

Option 1:
It can be used as a spotlight for two of my anthro characters, Blaise and Alexis, and their story. It would also eventually hold the comic that I will draw for them someday (a drama based on their relationship), once I feel more confident drawing in a comic format. The tumblr would include basically everything related to Blaise and Alexis, possibly even some unfinished works that I've never released elsewhere. Character drawings, profiles, ideas for the comic, bits of the story, mini test comics, etc.

Option 2:
I could use the tumblr for posting my 3D work (things like models, animations, special effects tests, or whatever). I don't always like to mix my 3D stuff in with everything else I do on my art sites, so this could be nice.

Option 3:
I have been entertaining the idea of making a weekly challenge for myself, where one day of the week (Wednesdays or something) I would sit down and just work on something. That could be a drawing, or a 3D model, or whatever. I haven't quite fleshed out the details of this idea yet, but basically, I'd be posting some kind of art-related thing once a week.

Thanks for the help! X3

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Topic Starter
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Currently: No longer a member
Re: Help me decide what to use my tumblr for!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »
I feel a bit strange to give you input on how to use your own resources, but given the options, I greatly enjoy Option 1.

Option 3 sounds like a fantastic idea and I fully support it (how else do we get better than to force ourselves to compete?). Furthermore, I think you should do it.

However, I am a huge story fan and would love to hear more about your characters Blaise and Alexis. They've been a bit of an interest for me ever since you first showed them to me and I confess I'm curious.
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »
It's possible that in the future I will make another tumblr for one of the other reasons, because I like all three ideas myself. I just want to pick one to focus on at first.

Art stream:

Offline Zane_ticytacs

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fossa
  • Coloring: Orange and Brown
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:34:29 AM »
You can make multiple blogs under one account.

I love the idea of the weekly challenge but would also be interested in Blaise and Alexis story. So maybe you can do both. One as your main blog and the other as a side blog.

If you do that please post the URL for both of them so I can be sure to follow.  :)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »
Like I said, I may or may not make a side blog(s) in the future. :) I just keep track of so many sites already, with all the art sites I'm on and stuff, that it can be a major hassle to worry about uploading too many things. I'm also brand new to tumblr and don't really know what I'm doing yet, lol. That's why I want to just start with one. ;)

Art stream:

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:24:46 AM »
Rocks, duh. :P

Yes, that was indeed a bad joke.

Uhh...I like them all?
If I had to pick one...I guess I'd go with Option 1.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
Option 1:
  Advantages:
    -Could have quite a large following
    -Encourages a long a project, you won't forget about it
    -Can be something you can show future employers later
    -Allows you to exercise not only artistic skill, but writing skills and script.

Disadvantages:
    -Requires a lot of dedication. If you have a following they might harass you for the next page.
    -Requires more than just artistic skill (might not be a problem)
    -You can't exercise complete creativity, you have to stick to one story.

Option 2:
  Advantages:
    -Very lax, you only do as much as you want.
    -Might encourage you to do more work in 3D
    -Will improve your 3D skills.
    -You have complete freedom with what you want to post.

Disadvantages:
    -Probably not going to have many visitors
    -You can easily forget it or just not do it anymore
    -Is not as interesting as Option 1 or 3

Option 3:
  Advantages:
  -Can greatly improve your artistic skill (by making you draw things you wouldn't normally draw)
  -Could have a large following, with an active and engaged community
  -It would be rather impossible to forget it or lose track of it

Disadvantages:
  -Requires a lot of work, doing a piece of work every week.
  -Requires a community, if not many people see your tumblr it will fail (if the weekly challenge comes from the community)
  -There is some limits with freedom of what you can draw.

With that I can say that Option 1 would be good if you're looking for a long term project, Option 2 if you're not really going to use Tumblr and Option 3 if you're planning to do a lot of art.

• Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 04:54:46 PM »
Thanks. :)

At the moment, I'm definitely leaning toward Option 1. Kind of been playing around with my tumblr theme to better fit the project.

I hate when comics start on an interesting story and the artist gives up partway through, so I really don't want that to happen to mine. That's why I don't intend to draw it until I'm sure I'm committed to it. I'll have to draw thumbnails of the whole thing or at least most of it beforehand, and I want to be a few pages ahead of each public page update so that I always have something to upload on a regular basis. It will involve a lot of work to get to that point though, so it may be a while before the actual comic pages start to show up.

But in the meantime, I think it would be fun just to have a place for me to talk more about Blaise and Alexis in general. They're fun to work with, and having a place for them will hopefully inspire the motivation I'll need for making the comic.

Art stream:

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Topic Starter
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Currently: No longer a member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
Please keep us linked! :D

Can't wait to see it!
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively