The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the difference between Furry and Cartoon/Funny Animals?  (Read 1555 times)

guest7107

What is the difference between Furry and Cartoon/Funny Animals? Because my illustrations are more cartoony than ever and I don't really do much furry things apart from look at furry art. But that is about 10% of the time. The rest is spent drawing cartoony animals and watching Tom and Jerry, Wile E Coyote, Ren and Stimpy and a load of Rubberhose cartoon rubbish.
[size=78%]In the attachments there is a doodle I did to give you an example of my not-sure-if-furry-or-funny-animal style.[/size]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Re: What is the difference between Furry and Cartoon/Funny Animals?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:32:42 PM »
I would still say it's furry =o

That's manly because one of my good friends is a toonfur, and I know plenty others, too ^^;
I'd just say it's a different "genre" of furry? Kinda like how there's plushfurs, goofurs, etc etc =V

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
It's no problem ^^;

Just, know that a cartoon animal can be different than a furry cartoon, so it's always good to specify =o It's all really about how you mean for it to come out ^^;

If you'd like, here's a link to one of my favorite toonfur artists >3>
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greevixor/

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
A furry is the term used to describe an anthropomorphic animal. That is, an animal with human features. If it's an animal with human features, no matter what style (cartoonish or no) then it would come under the classification of furry.

Hope that helps :P
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
Bug Bunny, yes, I believe (though a furry is arguably not the ART itself but the people who enjoy the art, in which case, no bugs bunny wouldn't be a furry)
The count? No, the count would be otherkin.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »
He would count as one, I suppose -- being an anthropomorphic character. However (in the way I see it) furries are more or less to do with the fandom. I would say there is a difference depending on your intent. If you are a furry and draw for the sake of producing furry art, then I'd say it's furry. If it's bugs bunny, you could say he's anthropomorphic, but seeing as the illustrator of his character most likely (you never know~) wasn't a furry and didn't intend for the art to be fandom-orientated, Bugs wouldn't be a furry.

I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone else, but I'm sure it's a mixed opinion and that's fine. This is just mine.
Tl;dr: I think it depends on the intent of the artist on whether it's furry or not.