The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place  (Read 306 times)

Offline Drakos

• Classy Draggy
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Awesomely drawn by Kaprika (The lovely floof 8D)
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon Anthro
  • Coloring: Green
  • Height: 6'5''
  • Weight: 225
  • Build: Muscular
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Wondering why stuff is stuff.
I'm Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:17:46 AM »
Ok so I'm just completely confused as to what I can do about many things. The most important thing for me is getting a job. I don't want some big, fancy, full time manager's job; I'd like just a part time job to save up some spending money and getting some work experience at the very least. So I've given out my resume to literally every place I could find in my current hometown; and no one has called me. So my question is; does anyone have any relevant advice for a jackal looking for a part-time job? If so, post your advice for me in this thread. Thank you all very much in advance!

Peace out,
Zaphier the Jackal <3 <3
  • Avatar by: Kaprika (Zee awesome floof! 8D)
Outside on a winter's night as the rain begins to fall
There's a chill in the air and the howl of a wolf while the rain beats at the door
Seven kings will ride on the wind up towards        the mountains high                             
And the only sound that will break the air is the warrior's bitter cry

-Starfire by Dragonforce.

For those who know me I'm still kicking around here, enjoying life. For those who don't know me I do invite you to get to know me if you'd like :3.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

(The song that the lyrics in my siggy come from :3).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Wp68lrJEYHU

Offline legolyle

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
  • Always right? You're doing something wrong!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark grey-blue, with a nice grey streak
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Currently: Aliens!
Re: I'm Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
well...first :P
for a jackal looking

I know it probably sounds ridiculous to point it out, but, I highly recommend you stay away from referring to yourself like that in an interview. XDD

second, after depositing your resume, I would visit the store at least once or twice a week to check up on the hiring, and, just talk to the manager, ask them if a position is available yet.

Obviously, some places can be eliminated, just by talking to the manager a couple times, but, for the most part, showing up once or twice and week at least, and talking to the manager multiple times, shows drive, and desire. They like that, and are much more likely to hire someone who wants the job that much, than the next person, who only drops off their resume.

Additionally, make sure your resume is well done. It wont help you if the resume is only a list of bullet points, two pages long, or with things on it like: "won the fifth grade spelling bee" (you get what I'm saying, this isn't like, specific to you obviously :P).
If you need resume help, feel free to ask, I can provide some pointers.

Finally, if you get called for an interview, make sure you are PREPARED for the interview, and dress nicely. Be personable, try and be interested in the job, be polite, do not ask ANY questions regarding compensation until AFTER the interview is said and done-and you have an impression of whether or not they'll hire you. If you must, do so LIKE THAT. And, preferably only if they ask you if you 'have any questions.'

"I was wondering what compensation would be?"

political correctness is very important to companies and managers, so make sure you realize that, and all will be well.

so yeah, good luck with finding a job :D
"if your philosophy is not unsettled daily then you are blind to all the universe has to offer"
- Neil Tyson

"When I told my father I wanted to be a physicist, he said, ‘Hell no, you ain’t going to work in a drug store.’ I said no, not a pharmacist. I said, ‘Like Einstein.’ He poked me in the chest with a piece of plumbing pipe. ‘You ain’t going to be no engineer,’ he said. ‘You’re going to be Einstein.’"
-Leonard Susskind
:'D those sorts of things make me smile.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
~negotiator~

Offline Growlithe

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Blarg
    • Awards
  • Species: Meerkitty
  • Currently: Ready to see the world
Re: I'm Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
Look in fast food. It's going to get harder to get hired until the end of Summer because you missed the boat at the beginning, assuming you have a ton of teens in your town. And call them, never, ever wait for them to call you. Make sure you call once a week when the "hiring manager" is on duty and don't consume yourself on a resume, my manager never cared to see one, but it would be nice to have it.

Lastly, make sure you show up early for an interview with no food, electronic devices, looking clean, and it's never a bad idea to pop a mint a minute before.
  • Signature art by: unknown
Feel free to PM me, I check here 1-2 times a day and love getting PMs

Offline Boone Zofox

• A Custom Title
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Avi from Kaprika
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Black Fox
  • Coloring: Grayish black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Sarcastic . . .
I'm Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is to be even more proactive before holidays. Chances are that most places are looking for temporary work to make the holidays easier. But because they are only looking for temporary work, you need to prove yourself early so they'll want to keep you.