The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice, please?  (Read 413 times)

Offline Nimian

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • How sad it would be, should laughter disappear.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Coyote
  • Coloring: Brown with black and blue accents. (picture soming soon)
  • Height: 3'6 (Feral)
  • Weight: 100 pounds
  • Build: Medium
  • Currently: Procrastinating
Advice, please?
« on: June 25, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
Hi everyfur, I just need some quick advice. Prepare to read.

Ok, so. I'm not very social. I have a social circle of about 5 people, not including family. I'm loud, but when it comes to speaking my mind, its hard for me. Maybe its just my bad communication skills, but I find it hard to share my views on things with people. No matter what it is, politics, religious views, beliefs. I am kind of insecure, so that might be why. I feel like I can't speak and that bothers me. When someone says something I don't agree with, I spend a while thinking about how I four says what I want to without sounding stupid. And by the time I rack up the courage to say it, they have already changed the topic. I was just wondering if anyone new any ways that I could become less tentative? Thanks for your help.  :)
This beautifully stitched skin as white as wax, just like when they were alive. Their mouths cannot clamoir noisily or tell lies any longer. Aren't they all far more beautiful than when they were alive?

Offline Beatnory

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • I dream a lot (thinking) and I make dreams (games)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dreamfox
  • Currently: be nice and you will have great dreams!
Re: Advice, please?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »
I think it's better to have 5 good friends then 30 'normal' friends.
But more important, Are you happy?

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
/\ I agree with the above statement 100%.
I've got plenty of Acquaintances, but very few close friends. Sometimes it's just better that way.

But in regards to the other things, I'd say that it's not *bad* to be reserved about those sort of things, though it also isn't always a good thing. But it all depends on what you don't respond to. If you can speak your mind about matters that are truly important to you, then that's already good!

Offline Khelan

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: wolfy
  • Coloring: Light gray and slightly darker grey
  • Height: 1.83 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Lightly built, slick and agile.
  • Currently: IM A MELTING POT OF FRIENDSHIP!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
You are not alone on this, i know alot of people that feel that they are left out or left behind as they call it. If you feel somewhat insecure about talking out, then my best edvice would just be to talk with people that you feel really secure with.
“You speak of destiny as if it was fixed.” – Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass

Will I ever be something with feelings to hide? Or am I just a boiler with nothing inside?

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:57:05 PM »
Oh yeah, I know how you feel...
I have such weird views on stuff that I've learned to keep quiet about it.

Here's what I do:

I usually avoid topics like politics and religion unless its brought up by another person; they have such strong followings and beliefs attached to both, so its just asking for conflict to bring it up. If their view is differing than mine, I take a breath, remember that I can't change someone's mind and that they're entitled to their opinion, and I say something that alludes to "To each their own" and try to find something that I agree on within their statement to change the subject.  Only if their view is matching will I go on with the subject, because I can get really into it sometimes.

I hope this helps some, and truthfully I only have one or two true friends, and I'm pretty happy this way. :3

Offline Nimian

• Avid Aardvark
  • How sad it would be, should laughter disappear.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Coyote
  • Coloring: Brown with black and blue accents. (picture soming soon)
  • Height: 3'6 (Feral)
  • Weight: 100 pounds
  • Build: Medium
  • Currently: Procrastinating
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
Thank you all, everyone had great advice! I really appreciate it! :)
This beautifully stitched skin as white as wax, just like when they were alive. Their mouths cannot clamoir noisily or tell lies any longer. Aren't they all far more beautiful than when they were alive?