The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How do I roleplay?  (Read 294 times)

Offline Dirtcopter77

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
How do I roleplay?
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »
Every time I look at the latest replies column, I see it filled with roleplay threads. It looks like a good way to get to know people, and a source of good fun, but I'm not sure where to start. How do I join a roleplay? Any rules once I'm in? What do all the roleplay sections and thread headings even mean?
Furry Code: FDL3adrw A++++ H-- M- R+++ T++ W Sm RLCT* a- cn++++ d+++ e++ f-- h- i++ j--- p+++ sm-

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: No longer a member
Re: How do I roleplay?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »
Oh man... this is a question for me. To answer your questions in order...

To join a roleplay, usually there is an OOC (Out Of Character) thread that is associated with the RP (RolePlay) with entrance information and requirements. Generally, this is simply a rules page, character submissions, applications, and all the Out Of Character discussion in the RP. These threads are where you ask for permission to enter and do everything that pertains to the RP that has no place in the RP.

The rules of the RP are set by the Author (or Gamemaster [GM] or whatever they wish to call themselves, but the person in charge) and usually fall along these lines:

-Do not Power-play: This means don't control any characters beyond your own. Don't make other people do things or force someone to do something they don't want to do.
-No God-modding: This means don't make yourself a God and be unbeatable. Everyone has faults and everyone has failings. You can't win every fight.
-Be respectful.
-Follow Forum rules.

The Sections and thread headings are descriptors of what are in the RP or really Titles. For example, there is a RP currently going called "Arkane Halls" and that is just it's title. The heading is nothing more than it's name to be honest. If the letters "OOC" are in the title and it is in the OOC board, then it is the Out Of Character board for the RP it describes.

Did that answer your questions?
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »
You might want to look around the RP Training Grounds, as it is designed for people to practice RPing. The stickied threads in that board also hold a lot of useful general information about how RPs work.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Dirtcopter77

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
How do I roleplay?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »
Part of the problem is that I'm too nervous to inject myself into someone else's roleplay. :X

Know any roleplays open to new RPers?
Furry Code: FDL3adrw A++++ H-- M- R+++ T++ W Sm RLCT* a- cn++++ d+++ e++ f-- h- i++ j--- p+++ sm-

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Currently: No longer a member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »
Well, there are many RPs running in the General board. Here is the OOC board link (http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?board=55.0), and I'm sure that there are plenty waiting for new players or you could make your own. I would suggest, if you are feeling trepidation about RPing, then you should go to the Training grounds and practice with someone. Make up some sort of situation that you'd like to try and just... write.

The only way you'll get better and do well is to practice. In this case, that means writing. Just write, write, write, and write some more.
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline [Sov]

• Your Local Neurotic Hyena
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • One more word and you wont survive.
    • Awards
  • Species: Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: Chocolate brown stripes, sandy colored fur
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
  • Build: Curvy~
  • Currently: Neurotic!
How do I roleplay?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
Go to the Training Grounds that Zephyr mentioned. Otebon and I are going to lead a crash course in role playing for people who want to play seriously but are nervous or don't know what to do exactly. :) Come in and play!
I am closed for commissions. See my furaffinity for pricing.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
Shuffling the cards of your game
And just in time
In the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace

Wanna find me in other places?

FurAffinity::Twitter