The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Discovering One's Theriotype & Confusion  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Glitch

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf or a Jackal/Hyena hybrid. Pick.
  • Coloring: Glitch - Grey with purple accents. Cyan eyes. Axis - Golden-ish. Cream underbelly. Dark reddish-brown mane/hair. Green eyes.
  • Height: Glitch - 5'8" Axis - 6'2"
  • Weight: Glitch - 180 lbs. Axis - 210 lbs.
  • Build: Glitch - Pudgy, some lean muscle in legs. Axis - Solidly muscular, but not too defined.
  • Currently: Lovey dovey, in need of things. :V
Discovering One's Theriotype & Confusion
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
So, here I am.  I am a recently-discovered Therian, and all of this is a little difficult to grasp.  Not so much the concept that is difficult (There is no way I am fully human on the inside.), but the discovery of my theriotype.  I've been avoiding trying to find it - instead I am letting it come to me in whatever way it wants to show itself.

I don't know, but I am just curious how you guys found your theriotypes, and how long it took for the discovery. 

Also, why do some furries think that being a fur is part of genetics or mental wiring (like things such as race, sexual orientation, etc.), when no hobbies are?  Yes, the fandom is a hobby.  I find the people that do that to be extremely embarrassing to be around, really.  Discuss.

Offline Thagrahn

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger and Lynx
  • Coloring: White and Black; Grey, Tan, and White
  • Height: 5' 4"; 5' 0"
  • Weight: 135 lb; 107 lb
Re: Discovering One's Theriotype & Confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »
The fandom is a group of hobbies that can be attributed to being a Therian.

The formation of the fursona is a mix of artistic expression and part of bring your Therian aspect to a recognizable form.
Fursuiting and the construction of the fursuit is a way to physically connect with your animal aspect.

Basically being a furry is the result of your inner animal wanting to be part of your life in some way.
I am Thagarhn, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Glitch

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf or a Jackal/Hyena hybrid. Pick.
  • Coloring: Glitch - Grey with purple accents. Cyan eyes. Axis - Golden-ish. Cream underbelly. Dark reddish-brown mane/hair. Green eyes.
  • Height: Glitch - 5'8" Axis - 6'2"
  • Weight: Glitch - 180 lbs. Axis - 210 lbs.
  • Build: Glitch - Pudgy, some lean muscle in legs. Axis - Solidly muscular, but not too defined.
  • Currently: Lovey dovey, in need of things. :V
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:41 AM »
I don't really consider my fursonas to be part of my theriotype.  :/  I treat being a fur and being a Therian as two different things.

Offline Tao Fox

• Boisterous Bear
  • антитеррор
  • Species: Cross Fox (vulpes vulpes) - Feral
  • Coloring: Orange/Black
  • Height: 16" (at the shoulders)
  • Weight: 12 Kg
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: feeling groovy
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »

Well! Something I can relate to.
Let me start out by saying that there are no right or wrong answers under these circumstances. Sure, assumptions can be made, but its difficult to account for every situation.
I don't think anyone can really say that they've come to a concrete conclusion as to their own therianthropic identity, as it is a very difficult matter to discuss. I myself have gone between believing that I am a wolf, dragon, or a fox. I'm still not sure, though I tend to cling to the identity of a "kitsune", as my small-ish brain can justify this quite easily. From what I've heard though, through stumbling across many an article about therianthropy, is that there is an entire "awakening" process that can take anywhere from an instant to an eternity to happen. During this time though, its said that one experiences much confusion and will ultimately discover their own identity. So, if you already feel that you're not human, then the process should be underway, right? Well, who knows. There are some fairly important concepts to grasp though, as far as I've experienced:
A ) It's quite possible that you are in fact human. Think about it... there are thousands of people out there who claim to be "inhuman" in one fashion or another. What are the chances that they're all partly animal?... I'm just saying that claiming there is "no way" that you're human is a bit of a stretch. Trust me, you'll be better off if you accept this as a possibility.
B ) Never take it too seriously. Sure, this may be a very important matter, as it could define you as a "person", but, if you take it too seriously, you could end up driving yourself insane.
C ) There is no ultimate authority. What I've written here is pure testimony, and in no way do I claim it to be truth! Just the same, all that you'll here of Therianthropy will be pure testimony. Your experience may differ entirely from another, henceforth making their experiences inapplicable to your situation.

This stuff can get pretty confusing, so I'm hoping that you'll at least consider some of the above.

Next, if I may extend this post to a further detestable length, furries are an even more touchy subject, as it is a massive culture, inhabited by many different "breeds" (aforementioned). The root of the culture though, in my opinion, is simply an appreciation for anthropomorphic arts. So, whatever connotation people give to "appreciation" is their own personal business. And who's to say that they can help it? Haven't you heard of the whole nature versus nurture argument? They were made as they are, and many of them can't change that. Because of this, I fully endorse the "to each his own", as it promotes tolerance of the less admirable traits found in any society, and helps you to, well, tolerate them. 

So, in conclusion, its crucial to keep an open-mind if you are too try and understand who not only you are, but who these masses of fluff are who inhabit the dark recesses of the internet. I may have given you more than you needed, but hey, I like talking  ^_^

Oh, and, since I like talking so much, you can hit me up any time. I'm more than willing to share my experiences and further advice.
Thanks for reading!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline FutiTheFolf

• Vibrating Furby
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: silver
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »

WARNING: Skeptics turn away, or just dont read. Also, no problems please...

Well, what if I said, that im concretely sure im a silver werefox with 9 tails? But I didnt find out through normal means (likes and dislikes) I was told by a spirit what I am, and I've also conversed with my inner self. There are levels of existance that people hardly delve into, that I have to experience certain things. People with their minds' eye open can even tell I am. Because when I morph my soul into its were form, I have a friend with her minds' eye open, she can see my tails and ears. The hard part is morphing the body, the soul is easy, the body is hard. Too many materials needed that we cant get RIGHT NOW to morph the body, that will be available... soon sorta. The problem is the pure energy factor needed to make the transformation. I only talked with one person that managed to make the transformation, they told me about it, began ignoring me, and wont talk to me to this day anymore. (PECULIAR...)

The best step to finding out what you truly are on the inside is by talking with your soul (inner self). It's weird but doable, and its a process. I could explain here but I'd rather explain person to person, I have skype, message me here if you want to meet up there. Also have msn. Because I can channel certain things I can tell you: your aura, your soul's name and standing, and if your easy enough to read, what animal you are. So lets hook up if your down.

Keep drawing, keep believing, and keep loving.

Offline Tao Fox

• Boisterous Bear
  • антитеррор
  • Species: Cross Fox (vulpes vulpes) - Feral
  • Coloring: Orange/Black
  • Height: 16" (at the shoulders)
  • Weight: 12 Kg
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: feeling groovy
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »

WARNING: Skeptics turn away, or just dont read. Also, no problems please...

Well, what if I said, that im concretely sure im a silver werefox with 9 tails? But I didnt find out through normal means (likes and dislikes) I was told by a spirit what I am, and I've also conversed with my inner self. There are levels of existance that people hardly delve into, that I have to experience certain things. People with their minds' eye open can even tell I am. Because when I morph my soul into its were form, I have a friend with her minds' eye open, she can see my tails and ears. The hard part is morphing the body, the soul is easy, the body is hard. Too many materials needed that we cant get RIGHT NOW to morph the body, that will be available... soon sorta. The problem is the pure energy factor needed to make the transformation. I only talked with one person that managed to make the transformation, they told me about it, began ignoring me, and wont talk to me to this day anymore. (PECULIAR...)

The best step to finding out what you truly are on the inside is by talking with your soul (inner self). It's weird but doable, and its a process. I could explain here but I'd rather explain person to person, I have skype, message me here if you want to meet up there. Also have msn. Because I can channel certain things I can tell you: your aura, your soul's name and standing, and if your easy enough to read, what animal you are. So lets hook up if your down.

I myself may be able to benefit, if you'd be willing to share some of your knowledge with me... seeing as you are a fox, your situation seems to be the most relevant to my own. I believe I'm too young to understand certain things, but any wisdom you are willing to share would be very much appreciated. I'll be sure to contact you on Skype sometime soon, if that's alright.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline FutiTheFolf

• Vibrating Furby
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: silver
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »
Yes please do I'm always willing to share my studies and what i've discovered with people, its why i branch out in forums. Private message me here first when your going to be on skype, and ill be on during that time if I can. I've worked on this kinda stuff for 3 years so i still consider myself amateur to what I've seen other people do, but I'm learned and in a world I cant escape :) all fun though. I've had people tell me i act alot older than my age, its cause of how I talk :) get to me bud.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:34:40 PM by FutiTheFolf »
Keep drawing, keep believing, and keep loving.