The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Why I think ignoring is bogus!  (Read 369 times)

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
Why I think ignoring is bogus!
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
Ugh, I am so angry at bullies right now. I'm sick of being called retarded, and I'm sick of not being able to stand up for myself. And when a Bully calls me retarded or anything like that, should I A: Ignore them, feel miserable and week while having the idea that they will magically go away if you do, but will make you more miserable in the long run. Or B: Take a stand, feel good about yourself for speaking out, even if it doesn't work. ...There is a reason the later doesn't work, it's because there's only one hand clapping.

That is why Bullies rule the world, is because few people ever stand up for themselves. Bullies have strength in numbers, so one person telling them off will do nothing. But if multiple people were to stand up for themselves against bullies, what would happen? ...Ignoring them doesn't make us strong, it just makes us weak. Even if they magically stop making you miserable, they'll go and make someone else miserable, which isn't a very pleasant thought. I have tried ignoring bullies, and I know better than anyone: It doesn't work. This is why I stand up for myself instead of taking abuse, because I don't believe ignoring your problems will make them go away. ...But I would probably feel even better about standing up for myself if there are multiple people standing up for themselves along side.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Why I think ignoring is bogus!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
There is another option you know. Typically, the only way to stop people from bullying you is to turn their attempts at bullying into a positive experience for you. Bullies do what they do because they get something out of it - the satisfaction of getting under your skin, being more powerful than you, or looking clever to their friends. If you remove that satisfaction, they no longer have any motivation to make fun of you.

Many of the greatest comedians in the world became who they are because they learned to make fun of themselves before others could make fun of them.

Chances are if you're being bullied, it's because something about you is different from other people. The key could just to accept those differences about yourself, knowing they're what make you who you are, and expressing them instead of feeling like you're an outcast and should be ashamed of who you are. It's all about your attitude about things.

It's not easy, and it might not be the answer for everyone. I'm just saying that there are other ways of dealing with bullies.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline pawz9

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black or brown markings
  • Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 270 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Never know how or when it’s going to end
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:26:50 AM »
Or  just be calm and make it look like it doesnt get to u
nine out of ten voices want me to sleep the tenth is wondering if penguins have knees

Stealth operative

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
Or  just be calm and make it look like it doesnt get to u

Yeah, I can pretend being called retard doesn't hurt my feelings, and then reality kicks in. I used to be calm and collective towards trolls, and then their antics eventually made me realize that I'm not calm and collective: I'm a self-righteous rage-aholic. As much as I tried to pretend they didn't bother me, they wouldn't shut up, so eventually reality kicked in and I started standing up for myself instead.