The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How to free up room?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
How to free up room?
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:32:33 PM »
My computer is more than 95% full. I've deleted a lot of programs, cleaned the disk space, but no improvement. I doubt I'll be able to download any more games or programs onto it at this rate, let alone create and save video.

What can I do to free up space? What have you guys done in the past?

How can I make videos and programs smaller without loosing quality? I'm very sad that my comp is so full.
x

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: How to free up room?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »
Firstly, how much hard drive space is used up and how much do you have in total?

Second, if you have money to spend, an external hard drive will serve you very well in keeping keeping your primary hard drive more clean since you can store tons of files such as videos and images and everything not necessary to be stored on the main hard drive like such as software and games etc.. on it.

Third, WinDirStat is an excellent tool for getting an quick and accurate overlook on what is taking space on your hard drive; it scans all your files and folders and with a folder based structure gives you a great overlook on not only how much space each file and folder is taking but also the percentage of the total used space and, for folders, the amount of items, files and folders inside it.

Another great tool is Ccleaner which scans for unnecessary files such as temporary files and cache files etc. which can hog unnecessary hard drive space.

Also make sure you don't only delete the files but that you also empty the trash bin ;3

As for making videos smaller without loosing quality I'm not sure, you could encode it to a smaller format, but that might loose some quality.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:59:16 AM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Tweak

• Technical Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Rawr and such like.
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Black, gold and purple
  • Height: Varies
  • Weight: Varies
  • Build: Dragon-y
  • Currently: Bleh.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:11:54 PM »
Memory != HDD space

>_<

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:57:48 AM »
Memory != HDD space
Yet everyone will understand what I mean.. but if your gonna be picky.. *edits own post*
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Yet everyone will understand what I mean.. but if your gonna be picky.. *edits own post*

I fail to see how he's being picky. :P

Offline Aloneness

• Azure Wolf
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Invalid Syntax Error
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Height: [Anthro 5' 7"] [Farrel 3'2"]
  • Weight: [Anthro 119lbs] [Farrel 52lbs]
  • Build: Normal, Light
  • Currently: Getting on for no reason
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
Okay if you've deleted stuff like you said you have and its not gone down that means that for what ever reason it didn't delete it all the way or your computer's not realized its been deleted. And example of what I mean by this is when you download a 12GB file your computer will set aside 12GB's worth of space for that file regardless of how much you've actually downloaded. If that is the case simply go into your control panel and then go to Add/Remove programs and make sure the stuff you've deleted isn't still populated the list thats probably the easiest indicator of your computer not realizing somethings gone.

If its not that then I'd suggest getting something like a 100GB external and putting stuff that you don't absolutely need on your computer on there, or the other way around depending on how much you need to use other computers or etc. The externals can be found on sites like Newegg or MWave ... I prefer Newegg however, these external HDDs are pretty cheap and are very nice to have.