The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: An email from my bank ?  (Read 435 times)

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
An email from my bank ?
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:03 AM »
I got an email from my bank saying my access card has been locked and to click the link below to log in and unlock it. i dont do online banking ( unless paypale counts). the email said that my access card was locked a few days a go, but it i used it on saterday and it seemed to be fine.  what would be the best thing to do ? call my bank and tell them about the email or just ignore it as if it where spam?
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Re: An email from my bank ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:48:55 AM »
Sounds like a scam to me. I'd call my bank if I were you and check with them. They will know if it is indeed locked and will provide you with the info you need.

Do not give anybody your personal info or card info unless you are 100% sure you are talking with someone that works at your bank.

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Demon
  • Currently: visiting graveyards
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:49:21 AM »
It's more than likely just spam trying to get you with a phishing site.
But if you're that concerned, then yeah, call the bank and ask them if your card is really locked and they should let you know.
If the site the e-mail linked you to really is a phishing site then it won't have the same URL as your real bank site, but it might try to imitate it with misspellings or the like. Either way, don't enter any information on that site.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:51:23 AM by Vine »

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:04:34 AM »
yeah iam kind of conserend about it because i have overdraft on one of my accounts for 300. i cant really afforded to pay that if some one with drew that amount. i might have to call my bank later to day seeing how its midnight here. the email did look kind of ominous.
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:35:39 AM »
As mentioned before, read the link carefully. Sometimes they will try to use links that end in ".php". Also, as mentioned before as well, look to see if they have a link that contains misspellings compared to your bank's home-site. And lastly, look for misspellings in the email as well and check to see if they have any attachments. If they do have an attachment, DO NOT OPEN IT! But often a good indicator is looking at the email-address that they sent it from. Often it'll be misspelled or random numbers/letters.

This is generalized self-security for emails.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »
I agree with previous posteds, sounds very much like a scam/phishing attempt.. if that is so, the link would lead to some fake website looking near identical to your banks website where'd you be prompted to enter your login information.. that would then be sent to the scammer which would try to empty your bank account on money.. There's also a risk of getting spyware and/or keyloggers installed in the background on your system which would be used to steal login details for all thinkable websites. As Vosur said, don't open it. And if you notice the tiniest error in the email, link, senders email adress etc. it's most certainly a faked email. Something else you can look at is the reciever; does is list only your own email adress as reciever? I know a lot of spam and scam/phishing emails lists the reciever as "undisclosed recipients" or a huge list of random emails. I've also seen spam where my own email adress isn't even listed as a reciever.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »
If you do not do online banking, then there is no reason why your bank would have your email address anyway. Banks don't generally send emails and will either send you a letter or call you if there is a problem with your account. DO NOT ENTER YOUR INFORMATION IN THE SITE. All they are doing is trying to get your information so that they can get into your account.
The bank can't really do anything about the fake email that was sent to you, so there's no need to mention it unless you did indeed follow the link and put your information in for it.
If you have a $300 overdraft and you're absolutely positive that you didn't take that money out of your account, then yes, contact your bank because obviously something is wrong if you didn't use that money.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
its a hyper link to the web site, the email was sent to my furry email the same as my payple. the email didnt have an attacment.
shadow hide you   

[/size]

^ furry code

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
I still wouldn't open the link.. better call the bank and ask if there is anything wrong with your account.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
i called the bank turns out that it was a fraud email. the guy i was talking to had reseved emails like that befor, i was told to forward the email to there fraud department if i wanted to even though i dont have online banking
shadow hide you   

[/size]

^ furry code

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
Told ya. Glad it cleared up then.

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
Yeah, totoally a scam, it's kinda funny how easy it is to make stuff like this.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 02:31:32 AM »
yeah but not fun if you get scamed.
shadow hide you   

[/size]

^ furry code