The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: so... many... foxes...  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Re: so... many... foxes...
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2011, 12:08:05 AM »
The furdom is an alternative subculture, right? Right. So it is only... expected to find this kind of people within it. And let's face it - most furries are rather young.

So when you grab a handful of open minded, young alternative kids, the chances are that you'd find a lot more people with alternative clothing or styles, more people that listen to metal, etc., than you would if you just grabbed a handful of kids with no filter.

Thing is that many "alternative, open-minded kids", especially male, tend to be of the energetic, cute kind that sometimes thinks of themselves as a bit sly or secretive (because they're more than what meets the eye, or they have a "troubled past" or whatever their reason might be.. which is also much more likely to find in this group of people).

And thus... you find a lot of foxes because the filters needed to get to the furdom, lets through a lot of these people.

That is, at least, my hypothesis on the subject.

Offline Cheeky Stoat

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • The Cheekiest
    • Awards
  • Species: Stoat
  • Coloring: Natural to the seasons
  • Height: 29cm long
  • Weight: 190 grams
  • Build: Slinky
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2011, 06:17:21 AM »
*Removed*

On top of that foxes are extremely popular (along with wolves) in mythical stories and are also quite prominent throughout many cultures' histories.  With those stories come stereotypes of the sly, quick and crafty fox.  Everyone wants to be the cutest and baddest, right?  ;D

I spent years going through "fursona"s until I finally discovered stoats (ermines or short-tailed weasels).  For those youngin's just starting out with foxes it's likely that they'll figure themselves out eventually.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:45:19 AM by White Wolf Guardian, Reason: Please do not use inappropriate language. »
It's cool, just ignore what you see above this signature.  I didn't just spend time constructing a valid argument for you to consider (at least, that's what you can tell yourself).

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a cat that purrs/meows/licks/sniffs etc
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • my little ol youtube account
    • Awards
  • Species: maggcat
  • Coloring: black with a white chin and chest
  • Build: rather skinny but cute looking
  • Currently: doing college stuff college people do
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »
The furdom is an alternative subculture, right? Right. So it is only... expected to find this kind of people within it. And let's face it - most furries are rather young.

So when you grab a handful of open minded, young alternative kids, the chances are that you'd find a lot more people with alternative clothing or styles, more people that listen to metal, etc., than you would if you just grabbed a handful of kids with no filter.

Thing is that many "alternative, open-minded kids", especially male, tend to be of the energetic, cute kind that sometimes thinks of themselves as a bit sly or secretive (because they're more than what meets the eye, or they have a "troubled past" or whatever their reason might be.. which is also much more likely to find in this group of people).

And thus... you find a lot of foxes because the filters needed to get to the furdom, lets through a lot of these people.

That is, at least, my hypothesis on the subject.
basically what your saying is most furries start off as bullied fourteen year old kids with a opposite opinion to the majority of the world population......yeeah i guess im kinda like that......but another reason is the fact im more attracted to people who are cuddly and fluffy why else am i always on the free hugs roleplay thread

and yes i was a black fox until someone said it looked like a black cat and i saw a girl who's fursona was a Tigertaur that looked just like mine
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
But that only supports my hypothesis, that people with your background (etc.) are more likely to fit the fox profile.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2011, 09:58:18 PM »
But that only supports my hypothesis, that people with your background (etc.) are more likely to fit the fox profile.

so your saying that there are allot of fox'x because of people who where bullied as a child ?
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »
No, I am not. Give it another read.

Offline Fly Boy

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Founding Baconist
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian Husky
  • Coloring: Typical Coloring for a Husky with extra black fur on the paws.
  • Height: '6"1
  • Weight: ~185 lb
  • Build: Built more for endurance, not speed
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2011, 11:51:06 PM »

so your saying that there are allot of fox'x because of people who where bullied as a child ?

Quite simply, many kids in the furry community think, act, and enjoy things along the same lines. So it is reasonable to believe that they would pic very similar fursonas (foxes). Am I right Puncia? or was I off in left field?

On another note, look at all the stuff that has anthropomorphic characters starred in it: StarFox (Fox, Krystal), Sly Cooper (Carmalita Fox), and... and... darn I forgot the third  one :S, but I'm pretty sure it's out there!

FurAffinity:CLICK ME!
Deviant Art:CLICK ME!

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2011, 03:07:15 AM »
There are a TON of fox (and fox-like) idols and heroes and fictional character, yeah. Crash Bandicoot reminds me of a fox even though he isn't. And there's Todd from The Fox and the Hound, Robin Hood... But I digress.

Quite simply, many kids in the furry community think, act, and enjoy things along the same lines. So it is reasonable to believe that they would pic very similar fursonas (foxes).
And you're quite spot on there. If we forced the entire planet to choose one species as their "fursona", we'd have a much wider variety, I'm sure.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:13 AM »
There are a TON of fox (and fox-like) idols and heroes and fictional character, yeah. Crash Bandicoot reminds me of a fox even though he isn't. And there's Todd from The Fox and the Hound, Robin Hood... But I digress.

Quite simply, many kids in the furry community think, act, and enjoy things along the same lines. So it is reasonable to believe that they would pic very similar fursonas (foxes).
And you're quite spot on there. If we forced the entire planet to choose one species as their "fursona", we'd have a much wider variety, I'm sure.

oh so thats what you ment, seeing from the fur meets i went to there arnt a lof of foxes. lots of dogs though
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2011, 04:38:56 AM »
There are more canines than any other. Though that's for another thread.

Offline Cheeky Stoat

• Avid Aardvark
  • The Cheekiest
    • Awards
  • Species: Stoat
  • Coloring: Natural to the seasons
  • Height: 29cm long
  • Weight: 190 grams
  • Build: Slinky
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2011, 02:10:12 AM »
Why was part of my post removed?  What was removed?
It's cool, just ignore what you see above this signature.  I didn't just spend time constructing a valid argument for you to consider (at least, that's what you can tell yourself).

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a cat that purrs/meows/licks/sniffs etc
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • my little ol youtube account
    • Awards
  • Species: maggcat
  • Coloring: black with a white chin and chest
  • Build: rather skinny but cute looking
  • Currently: doing college stuff college people do
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »
 :?i think .....sometimes that a fursona is a visualization of your soul.......so a lot of foxes = a lot of naruto's ......if you understand what i mean that is?

but the equation is inaccurate ....this is possibly the most confusing explanation  :S
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
i understand what you mean ( i think) , hehehe Naruto .... so your saying alot of people who have a fox fursona teneds to reflect there sole and there personalty like Naruto ?
shadow hide you   

[/size]

^ furry code

Offline Ottersmash

• Avid Aardvark
  • Skeptical Squawker
  • Species: Short-billed black cockatoo
  • Currently: Studying
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
I never take someone's fursona into consideration when befriending them, so I can't say I get where the OP or anyone else with such feelings is coming from. Why should their fursona factor into how boring or interesting they are when there's an individual behind it with a billion other traits besides "fox" or "genetically engineered moon porpoise," anyway?

People choose their fursona for a variety of reasons and because of a variety of influences, so at best it's questionably accurate when being used to judge character and, in my opinion, also shallow and lazy. It's the subculture equivalent of thinking you're getting real, accurate insight into someone based off of what they're wearing. They might be wearing that shirt because something about the design or logo really touches them or expresses their beliefs, but maybe not in the way you're thinking. Maybe they just like it because it was a gift from someone they love, or they borrowed it from a friend after last night's party where they threw up on their own shirt, or it just wound up in their laundry one day and they didn't particularly dislike it so they started wearing it.

There's tons of interesting creatures and anthros if you just browse for art to look at or ask for book recommendations. :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:34:46 PM by Ottersmash »