The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr by Chrisrtopher paolini  (Read 10569 times)

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • OVER 9000 HOURS IN PAINT.NET
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: polar bear
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 6'8"
  • Weight: 220lbs
  • Build: muscular, chubby
  • Currently: Grammar Nazi
Re: Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr by Chrisrtopher paolini
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »
Pretty gold scales.... but Saphira es WAAAAAYYY bettah.   :3

Offline SplitPersonality

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Tips of ears , bottom of tail, Tummy, nose, and back of legs, are brown. All Else is white. His eyes are blue.
  • Build: avarage
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 01:32:23 AM »
Why? Shes just blue!

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 01:34:58 AM »
blue iz better than gold   XP

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 04:30:33 AM »
i'm angry at christopher paolini. he takes forever to come out with his books, while they are impressive, he hardly had to do any work to get them published because his dad funded it all. I'm also a talented writer and I'm sure I won't be able to get a single publishing company to take my work and Paolini is on easy street...and he doesn't even seem committed...
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 06:57:33 AM »
i'm angry at christopher paolini. he takes forever to come out with his books, while they are impressive, he hardly had to do any work to get them published because his dad funded it all. I'm also a talented writer and I'm sure I won't be able to get a single publishing company to take my work and Paolini is on easy street...and he doesn't even seem committed...

That's not entirely fair. Given the amount of history in his world, all the different character stories he has to wrap up with this last book, and all the questions he has to answer, he has a [removed] ton of work to do. To say that he's not committed to this series after the numerous years he's spent on it is, frankly, insulting. I've spent six years on my own book series, with only one self published novel to show for it, and that's because the story is that involved. There is so much going on in my series that the reader will never see, but I still have to work out because it directly affects what the reader does see. I imagine Christopher Paolini has a similar task on his plate.

And how much work does it really take to get published? It's not a lot of physical work, apart from mailing the book to agents for consideration. I know when I shopped my book to agents, I was pretty much universally greeted with "We like/love your material, but we have no idea how we'd sell it to a publisher". Paolini has been very fortunate in his journey, with his whole family supporting his efforts before he got his book deal. But to say that he was/is on easy street? Entirely unfair. If writing was an easy career to pursue, everyone would be doing it. Even though publishing contracts do come with big numbers occasionally, they also come with deadlines, and those are never easy to work under when your story is as complex as The Inheritance Cycle.

"he hardly had to do any work to get them published because his dad funded it all": So writing a 500 page novel, then revising it three to five times, is "hardly any work"?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:12:21 AM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Partial censoring of foul language »
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
I am an author too, but not likely anyone outside of my group of friends know that. I probably won't get anything published.

You both have valid points, KangaDrake and White Tiger. However. Kanga has a point in that it is generally hard to get a book published. So Christopher Paolini had it easy right there. But it's alos not easy for him to write an almost 9000 page book, edit it to make it fit easier, ship it to publishers for checking. Get it back...etc. You get the point, right? In fact, he is making kinda good time. He suffers ffrom writers block, and is influenced by thye change of ones mind at last moment. For such an expansive and well written world of Alagaesia, he is making pretty good time. Just me as an avid reader is not happy unless I'm complaining about someting.

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
  • I'm not a bad man.....I just do things bad men do.
    • Awards
  • Species: Spider
  • Coloring: Black with red patterning
  • Height: 10 foot
  • Currently: silently watching
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 12:37:51 PM »
all problems i know all to well. i completely agree with you and don't worry, your not the only one here that'll more than likely never get published....then again i've got to get past the writers block and finish something first.
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »
I am an author too, but not likely anyone outside of my group of friends know that. I probably won't get anything published.

You both have valid points, KangaDrake and White Tiger. However. Kanga has a point in that it is generally hard to get a book published...

Well, that depends on how you define publishing. If you mean getting picked up by a traditional publisher like Random House or Knopf (Paolini's publisher), then I agree, it's dishearteningly hard. But if you mean getting your book out in print, that's actually remarkably easy. And it gets easier all the time. There are a number of self publishing companies that authors can use to get their books in print, and with each passing day, it becomes a more and more viable publishing option. Now actually getting noticed and successful this way, that is the hard part. And that's actually how Christopher Paolini got Eragon started. His family owned a publishing company, yes, but he still had to do all the legwork of marketing the book. Which encompassed a total of 130 book signings/readings all across the US. Not an easy thing to organize and execute. Did he have it easier than most? Undoubtedly. But that doesn't make it truly "easy" by default.

And now that I've got myself started, I might be making another thread somewhere... :P
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 07:39:53 PM »
Did he have it easier than most? Undoubtedly. But that doesn't make it truly "easy" by default.

technically, he did have it easier. but just by a little. that was all I was saying.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
oy, didn't mean to provoke emotions here D:

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »

I know.  I've just had to deal with a lot of people that assume being an author is an easy job. I remember getting into it with one family member and explaining fairly aggressively what exactly I have to do to make my stories work, and then pointed out that to make a career out of being an author, I would have to repeat the process upward of a dozen times. Needless to say, they don't give me a hard time about my job anymore. ;)

And in that respect, I do envy Christopher a little bit. Being a part of a family that not only supports his dream, but understands the creative and publishing processes, is something that I would've loved.

Oh Inheritance, why must you be so far away...  :'(

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »

It's all good. Gave me someting to do.

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
HEADS UP.

4th and final book comes out this november!

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »
HEADS UP.

4th and final book comes out this november!
November 8 to be correct <3
Can't wait!
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

• Unique Unicorn
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
Wait...I coulda sworn I saw the new book on the shelf at the bookstore...I must be seeing stuff D: