Author Topic: Career Path Troubles =S  (Read 354 times)

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Career Path Troubles =S
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »
So, I'm already in my Senior Year of High-School. And, I know what College I'm going to, have had everything set up with their reps so that I can go, and know generally what it is I want to do with my life. However, I honestly don't know now what to choose =S.
Originally, my career choice was Computer Hardware. And, by that, I mean actually working with the physical computer. Building them, maintaining them, all the separate parts, etc etc. I have quite a bit of experience with it, so I figured it'd be an easy thing to do. Then, from going to the two-year College I'm going to, I'd transfer over to a four-year college. And, that's when I would either go and open my own Business working with computers, or go further and get my Masters, and teaching at my school here.
HOWEVER, last night I was working Tech Crew at the Talent show at my school, and it kind of got me thinking that maybe I want to go for a career in Technical Theater, such as running lights and sound. That's something I have about four years of a lot of experience with, and it's something I love to do. And last night was my first real big job of the year doing such things, so it kind of revamped the idea in my mind.
My only problem is, is that both ideas are kind of hit-or-miss. If I open my own business, I could mess up, go in massive debt and lose it. If I try and go for teaching, but can't find a job for it, well, then who knows what I'd do, seeing as how that means I nearly wasted another four years or so.
If I go with Tech. Theater, that's even worse, because you never know where you'll be needed, and it would be more of a "call you when we need you" kind of job, which is still pretty shady.
Which would be the better choice to go with? Both are what I love doing, but both could go pretty bad =S

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Re: Career Path Troubles =S
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:01:53 AM »
Ask around. Get in touch with someone that works in theatre and tell them about your problem, maybe they'll give you a few tips or info that helps you decide. Also ask your teachers, they're bound to know something. And if not, ask the people you ask, who you should ask.

Get it? XD

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:10:13 AM »
x3. Well, that's what's been getting me all confuzzled about it. I've asked around quite a lot, and have quite a few  friends from both fields.
So far, getting into Computers seems to have the least problems, but if I go into the Tech. Theater, that'll give me a lot of great experiences, aaaaand the pay isn't too bad either XD

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »
I think that people IN the professions you're evaluating might be most useful.

Offline Valdyr

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • FurNation Administrator
    • DeviantArt
    • FurNation.com
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: White fur, gold eyes.
  • Build: Trim
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 01:09:02 AM »
I think that people IN the professions you're evaluating might be most useful.

I second this.  The best thing you can do is talk to someone who actually works in the field you're interested in.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 02:12:10 AM »
They will know better than anyone how the market is for getting employed.