The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello there.  (Read 1812 times)

Mr.Mustard

Re: Hello there.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
I get a lot of 'Colonel Mustard' jokes...

Offline Nix Panthera

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Uncia (Snow Leopard)
  • Coloring: White with black rosettes, glowing blue eyes, red mane of hair.
  • Height: 5'3" (1.62m)
  • Weight: 150 lbs. (68.03 kg)
  • Build: Cute but Curvy
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 03:22:41 AM »
Hello, I'm new too.

Goth? I'm a recovering Goth myself. Did the subculture from about '91-'01. Used to post fashion advice and tips at newsgroups Alt.Goth.Fashion.
Still like the aesthetic, just got a bit old to not look pompous. :-)

But welcome, nice to meetchu.

Offline Rayane

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Abyssinian cat
  • Coloring: Mainly white
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 09:01:20 AM »
Hello, Nix.

Oh, I see. I never really partake in organised groups. To my experience organised groups tend to exist on drama and betrayal. For me goth is about individuality, as is any subculture, so I just do my own thing.

Offline Nix Panthera

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »
 To my experience organised groups tend to exist on drama and betrayal. For me goth is about individuality, as is any subculture, so I just do my own thing.

I agree, part of why I don't do it anymore. When I was younger, I think I thought I needed to identify with something. I wasn't a jock, or a nerd, or a prom queen (I think I'm slipping into a scene from "The Breakfast Club" here). Goth appealed to me because I enjoy "dressing up". I liked the music, I liked a lot of Victorian styles, and also latex & PVC. So it seemed the natural route to go.

I met a lot of good people, some who I still call friends. But mostly yes, a lot of drama and posturing as to what was "Goth" enough and what wasn't. You couldn't wear this, you had to wear that, you couldn't like this band or that band, etc. I like a lot of a lot of things, so inevitably as I grew older and more secure of my own identity I quit the scene and branched out to just "do my own thing".

I have been a lot happier since, discovering mysself and my identity without rules and without a title to define me. Doesn't mean I still don't like the music and the styles. :-)

SO yes in a way, I joke when I say I'm recovering. In some aspects I am still a Goth at heart; among a multitude of other identities, including this one "furry" which make up the person that is uniquely me. What I am technically recovering from is the need to limit myself. :-D

Offline Rayane

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
From what I can tell from so little information, you and I could get along. Sadly, most goths are posers, for lack of a better term, or goffs that have more to do with that silly fanfic named My Immortal than anything else. By the way, My Immortal is a good source of laughs. When you Google worst fanfic, you get My Immortal.
Goth is not something I just decided to label myself as, it just fit my tastes, views and personality the best, though I am not ashamed to wear glitter or bright colours. I bet my bottom dollar I can be more goth in pink than some goths in black. I think it is a misconception that everything should be black. Stereotypes bug me. Thank hell that those gloomy, suicidal goth types decided to call themselves emos these days. Easiest way to indentify a poser? Bought clothes. All my clothes are tailored, since I have no knowledge of sewing yet, or altered by me. I just enjoy the hell out of making my clothes really my clothes.

Offline Nix Panthera

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »
I am not ashamed to wear glitter or bright colours. I bet my bottom dollar I can be more goth in pink than some goths in black.

Yep then we will get along. I was notorious in my day for showing up in glitter, bright colors, etc. What's the point of being different if you're still going to conform.
There was a cute tongue-in-cheek strip featuring Anne Gwish from Jhonen Vasquez once on the subject... unfortunately can't find a link to a copy atm, but grap any JTHM compilation and you'll see it. basically her going on and on about being and individual and going to the clubs, the only place she can be herself (and then everyone there loks the same, LOL).

Offline Rayane

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »
Stereotypes are based on the truth. I should definitely look into that comic.