The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: College D:  (Read 307 times)

Offline Moofinz

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Species: Kitty =^.^=
  • Height: 5'1
  • Weight: 115
College D:
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:09:27 AM »
This is my first semester of college, and its not really going well as I expected :/ First of all, I'm doing the work I need to, but I can't actually grasp the information  >.< I know the professors tell you that you must study the stuff as well, but honestly I'm reading it and I'm like o_O?????? On my quizzes I barely get by with a 70 or 80%. It's stressing me out because I have midterms in two weeks so I'm just re-reading the chapters but I'm freaking out cause I'm still confused. Another thing is, I have problems prioritizing my time and usually my work is done last minute. I've been doing that since pretty much junior year of high school and I told myself I couldn't keep doing this, but old habits die hard I guess? :( So yeah, I wanna know if any of you have tips concerning with college and stuff, or just in general >.< it would be greatly appreciated.  :$

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: College D:
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:18:22 AM »
Lots of professors have office hours where you can go talk to them if you need some help with anything. Lots of students seem to forget about that, but it can help a lot sometimes.

Try getting a friend or tutor to go over the material with you. Maybe they can help explain the material in a way that you can understand it better.

Set some time aside to go to the library or somewhere quiet between/after classes where you can do homework without a lot of distractions. Depending on the homework, sometimes you can get a group of people together to work on it at some point too, and arranging a meeting like that usually means you end up getting it done early.

Make sure you're taking notes on everything. It helps you remember, and makes it easier to compare your professors' lectures to what your books say and stuff.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »
What she said.

And trust yourself. If you doubt yourself, you won't succeed. Mind has a much more important role than you'd think.

Offline iKero-chu™

• Ferrachulicious
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • Chu~ :'3
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hot Dumpster (Ferret/Pikachu/Corgi)
  • Build: Thicc
  • Currently: god left me unfinished
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
Theres different methods of studying.
You should first try to find out whether or not your a Kinesthetic/Tactile, Auditory, or Visual learner.
This might help: http://homeworktips.about.com/od/homeworkhelp/a/learningstyle.htm

Once you do so try different study strategies.
It may take time but eventually you might be able to find one that works perfect for you.
(:

Try not to let the stress get to you.
(/\       /\)
(`o・ ω ・o´)
Chuuu~
Comission Info
Furcode

Offline Moofinz

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Species: Kitty =^.^=
  • Height: 5'1
  • Weight: 115
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:49:56 PM »
Thanks everyone :) going to use those tips, they're really useful!  ^_^

Offline Drago Strega

• Boisterous Bear
  • Hear me and my mighty ROAR!
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Clear/Silverish-white
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 06:52:40 AM »
What subject are you studying? Maybe there are people here in the forums who can help you cuz it really depends upon what you are taking.

I'm now going for a 2nd degree in Bio and I was an Art major. I'm taking Calculus after 4 years without math and in bio lab I had to cut a pig open to study its organs. I also failed a quiz in bio lab cuz the woman talks so fast and everything she talks about doesn't come in the lab book. And I can't take note cuz I think too much and suck at taking notes, plus I missed the first class cuz of flu. At least I made friends in class who are willing to help me and I don't plan on giving up so easily.

Try joining a study group or something. Make lots of friends and study together for the test and do your hw together so everyone benefits.
Don't worry, the more you panic you'll just lose your mind and whatever you just spent the last hour studying.
Whenever you start to feel like your stressing out, stop everything you are doing for 5 mins. to breath. Take like a mini time out like we would do in pre-school except on a nice comfy chair. Clear your head of everything cuz college ain't worth losing your mind over.

College is suppose to educate you... not kill you for a silly piece of paper with a grade on it... you are worth more than the paper cuz one I can get anytime, and the other...well lets just say "There can be only one." So don't overkill yourself. Plus you can't get a degree if you go mad or die...just keep that in mind

Once your head is clear, write down on a sheet of paper at least 5-10 things you need to study about, or write down some names, terminologies you need to define, whatever that comes to mind. And try to break down your work load into smaller study plans so to help you focus on searching your material for those simple key things you just wrote down, which makes the work way less overwhelming. Your memory will help you fill in the blanks when you start going over things that are  more familiar. Once you're done with that group you repeat the process till you have learned what is needed. Chances are at least this way you'll at least know something definite for the exams. Though 70-80s ain't bad grades....you just need to study a bit more. You're new to the college scene, so let me say you don't need anymore drama and stress, then what you already have. You'll just burn out and get sick quicker. Take good care of yourself and good luck with you school work. Your a responsible adult now, you can do it and get the job done. And then end the semester with a small celebration on your behalf for getting through round one.

Don't worry... you can do it. Just do what you need to do and don't forget to take care of yourself first.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:35:03 AM by Drago Strega »
I am that I am, even if only for a moment. And I will always try despite my flaws to summon what I can to become better than what I was.

Offline clearplasticcoyotee

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: COYOTE
  • Coloring: brn/red
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 05:26:56 AM »
Another thing is, I have problems prioritizing my time and usually my work is done last minute. I've been doing that since pretty much junior year of high school and I told myself I couldn't keep doing this, but old habits die hard I guess?

I'm in college, and I've been through this. I'm pretty sure most everybody I know has been through this. In fact, I'm avoiding schoolwork right now.   >.>

One thing that helps me a lot is doing schoolwork at school. If I'm home, I tend to waste time. Working in the library (or some other building on campus) helps me out a bunch.

Also, if the stress gets to be too much, go to the school's counciling center. It's not just for crazy people. ;D I've been a bunch of times, when I really start to buckle under the pressures of school, and it's extremely helpful. They've also helped me fix my studying habits, so it's worth a try!!
◑ ◔ ╔═╗ ║▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ╚═╝