The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: advice on furry dating for a non-fur  (Read 562 times)

Offline lady z

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
advice on furry dating for a non-fur
« on: October 02, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
Hello,

I guess i'll just jump right in here.  I'm a girl who really likes this guy, (who doesn't know i like him) and earlier this week he told me he was a furry.

This doesn't change how i feel about him, but I really want to learn more about furries and if they ever date non-furs.

I don't know if it matters much, but his furcode lists him as a domestic cat.  Judging from his second life avatar, there also might be some fox mixed in.
his furcode also says that his character is a "general alter-ego, someone to draw pictures of, a role playing character and someone to write stories about."

I realize that the best way to find out more about this would be to ask him, but I'm ridiculously shy.

So.... yeah, please give me advice/stories/anything else you think would be helpful.

Thanks!
-lady z

PS: sorry for double posting this in the Friends of Furries section and here, but upon closer inspection it seemed like this board would be better.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: advice on furry dating for a non-fur
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »
It really doesn't matter that he's a furry. Unless he's one of those misanthropic nutjobs, his furryness is not a barrier. It's an opportunity. You know of something that he likes, so ask him about it. Yes you're shy, but it's a lot better than running round the bush until you're  dizzy. If you can't do that then... well I don't what you can do. You could stalk him but that's creepy and invasive. You could ask his friends but then... you're his friend. He obviously trusts you and if you show and interest then he'll probably be more than happy to talk about furryness, and himself, and things that he likes.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Nali

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Neko
  • Coloring: Black, white tips on ears and tail
  • Height: 4-6
  • Weight: 97
  • Build: thin
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »
I personally wouldn't see why it'd be a problem.  You like who you like, be they furry or not, I wouldn't see a problem with the relationship.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 03:19:43 AM »
Yes, furries date non-furs. My boyfriend wasn't one when we started going out. Later on he ended up being interested in the furry fandom as well, but I wouldn't have had a problem with it if he didn't.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:03:22 AM »
Well, I usally don't date humans, but that wouldn't stop me if he was and he loved me for who I was. But some people don't really care for dating them at all, and will avoid them like the plauge. But for the most part, its ok with them as long as you treat them with the same caring and love you do for anyone else.

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »
i personally would feel very strange being in an intimate relationship with a non-fur, or at least someone who didn't know about it... but that's me! if your man is different which he may very well be, then there's no reason why furries shouldn't be with you normal people (jk)

plus, if you really wanna make his day, talking to him about it would be great! i think i speak for quite a few furries when i say that we don't get many chances to talk about it with non-furs, so perhaps the conversation will pull you closer together. it did with my ex (who wasn't really a furry, but had a strong relationship with the scene while i was with him), and the conversation really brought us close.

i wish you the best of luck
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Flyin'

• The Dark Angel
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • ...Why am I a horse now?
    • Awards
  • Species: Sandy-Orange Equine
  • Coloring: Orange, white
  • Height: 5 foot 9
  • Weight: 8 stone
  • Build: Skinny
  • Currently: Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
I personally wouldn't see why it'd be a problem.  You like who you like, be they furry or not, I wouldn't see a problem with the relationship.
This.

There should be no problems if you love them that much. If you struggle with the whole furry concept, just talk to them about it. I'm sure they'll find joy in explaining to you, and you may become closer because of it...
Am I back? Quite possibly.

Monster Mash

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 03:33:48 PM »
I honestly don't see what the big deal is with dating a non fur. The fandom is just a hobby so why should it matter if the person you're with is a fur or not?

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
Furries do date non-furs. My boyfriend wasn't a furry when I started dating him and he had actually believed the stereotype about furries just wanting yiff and being pervs. Seeing that I was a furry showed him that the stereotype isn't true for everyone and he actually became a furry.

Don't take this as me saying the furries always convert their non-furry partners into furries because we don't do it on purpose (at least I know I didn't). So you don't really need to worry about him trying to turn you into a furry.

Anyways, talk to him about it. If he opened up to you and told you he was a furry, that means that he really trusts you. Believe me, it's hard for furries to tell others what they are most of the time because we're worried about being judged wrongly. Talking to him about him being a furry and asking questions will probably make him happy and bring you closer together.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • It's AR for short
    • Peanutbutter & Sandwhich
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline Gargoyle
  • Coloring: Black with white streaks
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Build: Femine
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »
I'd say think of it this way, if you base a relationship purely on a single aspect about someone, your very shallow. Being a furry is only one piece of the puzzle that makes up a person. You date someone because you want to, not because they are a furry or not. If you care for someone enough what they like shouldn't even cross your mind. I met my boyfriend at a furry con, he has a fursona, but he's slowly becoming a non fur. Do I care? Not in the least, I didn't start dating him because he was a furry, I started because I liked him.

Furries are people, and they can date who ever they please. There is no difference between a furry, an anime geek, scifi whatever, and every day people. They are just people who take more of an in depth interest in something. In the end we are all just people.

::::
Commissions are OPEN
::::

"I do not conform to popular stupidity"
"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox