The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: When your class catches up with you on the things you're best at .-.  (Read 316 times)

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
Okay well for English we have to make a video on iMovie about something we used for our assignment and a feature on it. A tutorial, just a short one. So I did one on text effects in Glogster. I used hypercam to record what I did, then added titles and voiceover in iMovie.
I spent hours, for two days, because iMovie wouldn't import the .avi file I recorded from my windows computer (I use a macbook for school). I converted the file so many times, changed the encoding settings so much and finally got it all right. I re-did the video like 3 times. It was a simple task but since I can be good with computers I took advantage of the opportunity to totally blow my whole class out of the water.

That was, until about an hour ago in 5th period, I saw someone had done the same thing as me. I was browsing the upload wiki thing. I was growling, banging my computer on the desk and like screaming and biting the screen lol. So when I got home i was like screaming and showed my mum. That's when I discovered, like half my class did the exact same thing as me. I heavily contemplated editing the wiki where all their stuff was uploaded and deleting everything.
I'm like so annoyed. I have 2 days to somehow be the best in the class, cuz this is right up my alley and I feel like being the best this time. I spent ages lol and I wanna be at the top of the class for this. It probably sounds crazy. Lol.

Though just before I had an idea. Soney Vegas Pro? yesh plz. I'm going to shove half a grand up my classes *bum. <3

But seriously, don't you hate how you do something like that, thinking you're going to be the one who's done the best and everything, then half of the other people in your class have done it as well?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:15:35 AM by Jasper »

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
Re: When your class catches up with you on the things you're best at .-.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:16 AM »
yep... i know the feeling quit well;

when i play at jam sessions and things, i get up on that bandstand and think to myself "anyone who gets up here with me is gonna get blown off the stage." mainly as a confidence thing, but also out of experience because i originate from a place where i was the best player by quite a long way and did obliterate anyone who stood up with me. now i know a few people who're just as good if not better than me and so (now here's the useful information) i use it as inspiration and drive. if i hear them play a nice line through some changes, i'm gonna play one that's better. if they play something that's pretty impressive technically, i'm gonna do it faster.

most important thing is that you have to be your own entity, especially with artistic things. i used to (and still do every now and again) make the mistake of comparing my own playing to that of someone i greatly admire like bill evans, joe lovano or michael brecker. i find myself thinking "jeez, i should be able to do that" but i can't. obviously i can't. i just turned 20! the same goes for what you're talking about with comparing yourself to peers. i used to do it a lot but that especially i've made an effort to stop doing cause it just gets you depressed.

who cares if they have higher grades than you? if you have a high grade and you're bloody chuffed with what you've got... then screw 'em!
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
Re: When your class catches up with you on the things you're best at .-.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
Ima tell you something, Jasper. If there's one thing Im used to, it's defeat and disappointment. I know how great it feels to be at the top and always be first but don't expect it to happen all the time if at all. Chances are, there will always be some punk who's better than you at something you're "best" at. You can't expect your class (who have no idea what they're doing) to not look at Wikipedia for an answer to something. Even still it's not a damn competition and winning. Its about doing a good job. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be competitve but it will line you up for disappointment. If I learned a single thing in any competition, it's not to be the best at something that everyone else does, but to be the first to do something different. That's what really stands out.

When you lose, deal with it. Don't make a deal out of it.