The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Therian and Otherkin Explanation  (Read 78458 times)

Offline Alicia-Korean-Soviet

• The Korean Dragon
  • Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I demand a Korean Caramelldansen. >:U
  • Species: dragon/peacock/leopard hybrid
  • Coloring: Royal blue, silver, sky blue, and green. Mostly peacock colors.
  • Height: 4'5" (on fours) 7'5" (rearing)
  • Weight: 215 lbs.
  • Build: Slender, yet strong.
  • Currently: Glad to be back!!!
Re: Therian and Otherkin Explanation
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 01:25:46 AM »
I'm pleased to say that I am a Therian. :D

If you look closely at my 3rd stamp, Churchill has a Kricketot, Roosevelt has a Chimchar, and Stalin has a Happiny. :D

Clearing things up: I'm not living in N. Korea currently. My parents (miraculously) escaped there and came to the US from South Korea. So I'm a miracle-worker I guess. XD I luv my parents. They be awesome.

"And along came Alicia" - my brother

Offline Shadis

• Optimistic Owl
  • Wolf 7133 or Shadis, take your pick
    • Awards
  • Species: Umbral Wolf
  • Coloring: Black fur with dark purple runes on my body and face
  • Height: Six Feet, three Inches
  • Weight: 200 Ibs.
  • Build: Strong, but not muscular
  • Currently: I'm beautiful!!!!! :'D
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 03:45:54 AM »
Wow, thats pretty good information! I been friends with this one kid from my summer camp for three years but it wasn't untill this year that i discovered that hes an avid wolf lover like myself. Upon further conversation i discovered thats he's a therian. Its pretty interesting and i think i may be a little therian inside as well. Also, Im pretty sure kokoro is indeed part therian inside.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
Wolf 7133: Supernatural Division Leader

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 03:49:14 AM »
so good to see more of us on tff.
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Aloneness

• Azure Wolf
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Invalid Syntax Error
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Height: [Anthro 5' 7"] [Farrel 3'2"]
  • Weight: [Anthro 119lbs] [Farrel 52lbs]
  • Build: Normal, Light
  • Currently: Getting on for no reason
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »
Therian: I can't really say to much because I consider myself a Therian bit hypocritical if I poked fun at myself lol, but onto all seriousness. The definition of a therian changes drastically from person to person as it is up to each person to come to there own opinions and conclusions of what a Therian is. Events such as "shifts" are when someone becomes more in touch with there animal side, there are a few general categories of shifts, Physical, Dream, Sensory(Often Not Considered A Shifting), Phantom, Mental, and Cameo. Though Physical shifts are imposable there still included in the list of categories personally I don't know why they even have it then, next is Dream which very loosely defined as it can be any therianthropic related event inside of a dream, next is Sensory which is basically a heightening of your senses, next Phantom simply meaning Phantom Limbs of your theriotype, Metal which is pretty self explanatory, normally consisting of the person blacking out and then having the metal state of said animal, Cameo shifting is when you have any of the above shifts, except as an animal other than your theriotype. So in a nut shell a therian is just anyone who thinks they or has a strong connection with an animal (don't shoot me if you don't like that nutshell definition of a therian its just what to Wikipedia said.)

Other-kin: Basically the same definition of a therian, except instead of being an animal... your a mythological creature, elven, angelic, demonic, Draconic, etc. etc. etc. Personally I can understand therianthropy because its based around the belief of being a real documented animal, but I don't throw the Other-kin community to much of a bone because thats like saying your theriotype is a rock, or a wooden chair. I understand nobody can possible understand the mental state of a different animal because its imposable, and all we can go on is speculation of how we think they think based on there actions... but when something has no proof of ever existing. How can you say you feel like it? thats my biggest problem with the other-kin community. But to be fair I've never been very far into the other-kin communities either, the farthest I ever went into it was just curiously poking at  random forums and wiki's.

The Vampire Community: I have a few friends who consider themselves "vampires" so I'll keep my personal opinions to my self so I don't offend anyone. But the community original started along with the other two around 1992 on a message board which I can't remember the name of nor do I care enough to go look it up. But since Grarulfr did a good Job laying out basically what a modern day vampire is I'll just quote him. >.>

Spoiler for Hidden:
Written by Grarulfr earlier on in the thread

Now we get into these two main types I mentioned :D

Sanguarian
A sang...well, to simply put this, they crave blood. When they need to "feed" they are hit by these blood cravings, perhaps having disturbing thought patterns such as wanting to attack someone for their blood, seeing just a little could set their mouth watering etc. you get the idea, though it's a very rare case that they will actually go through with harming someone for their blood though there is increased agression, being edgy, snappy, the thought of the stuff in their mind throughout the day, all day until they feed. Mentioning feeding you can forget the typical image of climbing through a window and biting into someones neck in the dead of night, the sang generally finds a donor, someone willing to cut or be cut for the sang to drink from them (not much however is needed, again, forget the myth), it takes part in a controlled environment with sterile equipment and knowing how to perform it (so no going for the neck people) and blood tests have been taken to ensure that nothing like AIDS can be transferred to the unfortuneate sang, of course this isn't always the case so the smart vampire will take the extra precautions to avoid harming the donor or themself, or they of course just Psi feed :P

Psi
A Psi is different in the ways of the sang as you can tell them apart pretty easily - a Psi doesn't have blood cravings yet they still have the need to feed. A psi feeds, well. they don't even need to touch a person, more of taking the energy remotely (this includes over the internet - long story but a connection is involved) they take energy from a persons aura and as they have been feeding they typically feel energised or stronger, some report a complete and utter lack of being able to concentrate and this is generally a sign to feed. In turn this can be done by taking from someone willing to donate, from a group of people to take as little as possible from a person yet still be satisfied. Though of course you get the bad kind...the kind that attack people for their energy, draining them leaving them in pain and pretty much...well, drained. I assure you though, someone attacking you might be able to hurt you but you can't be killed, your body would need to build up your energy levels again is all. Though if you know the protection methods such as closing chakras and shielding you should be good to go ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:23:44 PM by Aloneness »

Offline alpha wolf

• Avid Aardvark
  • Unleash the wolf in you
    • Awards
  • Species: arctic timber wolf
  • Coloring: brown, white and blakc
  • Height: 5 ft 8 in
  • Weight: 165 lbs
  • Build: Bodybuilder
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Hopefully with My dog
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »
I am a furry and a therian.  I know alot of my friends get thew two groups confused. 
I used to be completely feral.  However I have been becoming more werewolf like as years pass.

Offline Shadis

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 02:51:11 AM »
Yay! Another Thurry!  ^_^  Welcome, stranger...  :P

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
woot more therians

each time i think about it i feel a shift where i feel a phantom tail or ears, i even felt a muzel befor
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Sne

• Boisterous Bear
  • I reject my humanity and substitute a fox!
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Scarlet Mane's Diary
    • Awards
  • Species: arctic fox
  • Height: 28 cm
  • Weight: 4 kg
  • Build: feral
  • Currently: dead
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »
Thank you very much White Wolf Guardian and Aloneness and the rest for your posts, they were very helpful in my reasoning, which may be in turn helpful to others, too :) All in all, I'm a thurry too.

Offline Shadis

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 06:07:10 AM »
Ahh, speaking of you reasoning, I have mental shifts. Sometimes, always at night, Im suddenly full of energy and I have an uncontrollable need to run and, well, hunt at a wolf would do. Some of my non-combat personality traits match fairly closely to those of a wolf. Same thing with my mate, except his traits are combat related.

Offline taka

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: lion -dog
  • Coloring: Blue with gold dots
  • Height: 5-10
  • Weight: 230lbs
  • Build: muscular with pop gut
  • Currently: hates being human
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 03:45:30 AM »
We can not disbelieve that other kin never existed . Who's to judge but this argument cant be fully done out without  me bringing all religion ,wiccan,christian,catholicism , hinduism, and so many more because they all depict otherkin some where with all mytholigy,religion there are some truths.And its just like the wright's brothers "who developed the first airplane " anyone would or did disbelieve we could fly.But with there imagination made it a reallity.

sorry if this is in wrong  thread but it is related to topic........
  • Avatar by: oriental pik of statue

Offline Drakos

• Classy Draggy
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Awesomely drawn by Kaprika (The lovely floof 8D)
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon Anthro
  • Coloring: Green
  • Height: 6'5''
  • Weight: 225
  • Build: Muscular
  • Currently: Wondering why stuff is stuff.
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 11:10:14 PM »
Ok, so as a person who's constantly in search of a way to get educated, I thought I'd do some reading from Whyte's links on what all of this therian and otherkin stuff really is. Now that it makes sense, I can honestly say I am proudly both a member of the furry fandom and a therian. At first I thought "How ridiculous, there's no way I would fit into this..." Then I realized something; if it weren't for the spiritual connection that I felt with this animal (The silver western-style dragon), I would have never developed my fursona. I constantly have had dreams in which I was a silver dragon or some other variation of a dragon in various colors and sizes and in various scenarios. Therefore, I guess I would kind of consider myself a therian and a furry, if that at all makes any sense  :| .

Then again, I could be wrong!
Drakos Darkfyre.
  • Avatar by: Kaprika (Zee awesome floof! 8D)
Outside on a winter's night as the rain begins to fall
There's a chill in the air and the howl of a wolf while the rain beats at the door
Seven kings will ride on the wind up towards        the mountains high                             
And the only sound that will break the air is the warrior's bitter cry

-Starfire by Dragonforce.

For those who know me I'm still kicking around here, enjoying life. For those who don't know me I do invite you to get to know me if you'd like :3.

(The song that the lyrics in my siggy come from :3).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Wp68lrJEYHU

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 12:37:10 AM »
Mythological "spiritual" connections/relations are considered moreso otherkin than therian because otherkin relates to creatures of folklore.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Drakos

• Classy Draggy
  • Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 01:44:19 AM »
Mythological "spiritual" connections/relations are considered moreso otherkin than therian because otherkin relates to creatures of folklore.

Oh, well I guess that makes me sort of an otherkin fur doesn't it then? :3.
There's a chill in the air and the howl of a wolf while the rain beats at the door

For those who know me I'm still kicking around here, enjoying life. For those who don't know me I do invite you to get to know me if you'd like :3.

v=Wp68lrJEYHU

Offline Sne

• Boisterous Bear
  • I reject my humanity and substitute a fox!
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Scarlet Mane's Diary
    • Awards
  • Species: arctic fox
  • Height: 28 cm
  • Weight: 4 kg
  • Build: feral
  • Currently: dead
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I can't exactly relate to that, but I assume that dragon otherkins or zoans (I really think that term fits best :) ) are actually dinosaur/reptile therians with so-called fantasy prone personality (zoan-3 ;) ).

Drakos Darkfyre, there is in no way any problem with being both a zoan and a furry.

Offline Drakos

• Classy Draggy
  • Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 08:44:08 PM »
I can't exactly relate to that, but I assume that dragon otherkins or zoans (I really think that term fits best :) ) are actually dinosaur/reptile therians with so-called fantasy prone personality (zoan-3 ;) ).

Drakos Darkfyre, there is in no way any problem with being both a zoan and a furry.

Good to know, thanks for the information! Looks like draggie has some reading to do!  :)

v=Wp68lrJEYHU