The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes  (Read 449 times)

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
« on: March 26, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
That advice I got on my book at Spriters Resource made me think about my book a bit more closely. It made me realize that there ARE some good ideas and writing in my book, but there's so much "Just because" in the book as well. For example, the main character: Benny Bunnycorn: is an almiraj just because I like almiraj. Even though I've had Benny since 2009, I felt they did have a point.

I decided to change Benny for now to something a bit less nonsensical. Benny is now a giant rat to signify his life in poverty. His cousin is now a play on the term "Fancy Rat." His arch enemy is now the almiraj, to signify his innocuous, yet dangerous presence, and his enemies wife and female protagonist is an almiraj because her magic is just "al-mirage."

I showed a picture of Rat Benny and Almiraj Kazek to mom, but she didn't seem to like them much. Yet, you know, I stand by my choice for now. I think rats are adorable and I heart their crosshatch tails and long kangaroo legs, not to mention their adorable sad faces, pink noses and long whiskers. ...But still, I've had Benny since September 2009.

But to tell you the truth... I'm not as attached to Benny as I used to be. (Duhn-Duhn-DAAAAAAH!) I dunno, but lately I've been attached to a new bunch of characters named Team Meteor: made up of big monsters who are big, strong, and... fat. (Duhn-Duhn-DAAAAAAH!) Lately, those are the kind of characters I have the biggest soft-spot for are the giant "Meatwall that fights back" type characters who are basically these huge impenetrable shields who are super strong and kick butt. ...But lately, I've had a hard time getting interested in drawing anything else. (Duhn-Duhn-DAAAAAAH!)

I'm still interested in writing the story of Benny, but at the same time... I'm unsure if I fully want to go through with the change. I like Rat Benny, but I like Almiraj Benny too, and I've had him for so long. What do you guys think? Do you think change is the first step to a great story?

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »
Rule of writing:

If a character or story doesn't actively, in some way, contribute to main plot. Remove it.

Merge character, merge stories, even if you really like a character if he's just something "interesting" and doesn't really contribute much to the story, remove him/her. It may seem hard to do that, but it leads to a much better and more interesting and engaging story!

Cheknov's gun "If you mention a gun on a wall that gun needs to, at some stage, fire". Everything you mention must be useful in some way.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
Re: Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
Rule of writing:

If a character or story doesn't actively, in some way, contribute to main plot. Remove it.

Merge character, merge stories, even if you really like a character if he's just something "interesting" and doesn't really contribute much to the story, remove him/her. It may seem hard to do that, but it leads to a much better and more interesting and engaging story!

Cheknov's gun "If you mention a gun on a wall that gun needs to, at some stage, fire". Everything you mention must be useful in some way.

So you agree, and that's the reason I stand by my decision in changing Benny's species. I'll admit, it's been a good run, but for the sake of a complete and interesting story, maybe this change is for the best.